Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (Don't have the $ to upgrade right now..)

Old 11-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (Don't have the $ to upgrade right now..)

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you has ever fixed a BLOSE CD player themselves?

all my amps seem to be working good right now, I am just looking to repair the CD player myself... Just wondering is anyone knows what the repair shops do to fix them, Im sure 99% all fail the same way like the amps do..
I will upgrade later, but for now want to fix what I have..

Mine will take the CD in, but will not play it, also sometimes it takes a while to eject it..

If not does anyone have a gold cd/tape working (or not working) that they want to sell? Maybe I can tinker with one without removing mine for now (So I still have a radio to listen to!)

If you have one, e-mail me at bansell@cetacean.com

thanks all..

-Bill
_______

[Modified by Bans25, 5:48 PM 11/26/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 08:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (Bans25)

the failure is not user serviceable... sorry to say.

the transport dies... :(
Old 11-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (bogus)

the failure is not user serviceable... sorry to say.

the transport dies... :(

What do you mean by that?
Old 11-26-2002, 08:50 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

He means its a 13 year old CD made by panisonic and it wears out over time. They cheapest fix is to replace the entire unit or change to aftermarket. I'd suggest teh second. You could do this for under $300 if you want to cut corners or if you don't mind running a pair of speakers until you add a second pair later. Much better sound when finished than the bose ever had.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (92TripleBlack)

They have to be serviceable, there are rebuilders all over the place that fix them? I am just tying to find out what they do to fix them..

Thanks!

-Bill
Old 11-26-2002, 10:07 PM
GTLocke13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the amount it would cost to get it fixed, its not worth it. Just get a new head unit. You may not even be able to find a service shop that will fix it. The old HU is dead. R.I.P.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:10 AM
jsquared94
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more. If the shops can fix them, why can't I? I'm going to school now for electrical engineering technology, dammit!! The snag I'm encountering is finding a source for the parts- noone will sell the parts to you, even the rebuilders (greedy baastards). But what if i start a 'business' repairing them? NOW who distributes the parts? I think maybe It would be possible to go this route, buy a boatload of parts, and sell em to everyone in our shoes.
Please forgive the anger- there are times I hate Corporate America.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Dokken
Advanced

I had a Sony Discman fall 6 feet. I was as enthusiastic about fixing it until having it sit in a box for 10 years. I recently threw it away. I took it to an electronics repair shop where I knew the guy. He said the servo's were bad and that repair of the transport was impossible, disc reading would be inconsistent. Granted yours didn't fall 6 feet but the same rule applies.

Unless panasonic or bose has a relplacement, *modular* transport that you can install yourself, I'd just toss it in the trash. You can keep studying, and learn how to do it, but economics and sheer frustration may play into the equation.

Of course, let us know how you do. I refused to pay $400 for a working one at a Corvettes of Carlyse show. Alpine sounds wonderful everyday I get in the car, the Bose just didn't do it for me. :cheers:
Old 12-05-2002, 12:32 AM
ParC5
4th Gear

I agree with your comments. It's almost impossible to get a schematic for the Delco/Bose radios. I used to work as a repair technician on auto stereo's and in my opinion all this stuff is quite easily repairable but I've had zero luck getting a service manual for the Delco/Bose stereo. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one?

Old 12-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

My Bose CD player in a 92 C4 has the same problems. I looked up the DELCO dealer (MASS Electronics, phone 900 388-1000) and they (Steve) told me that they within about 1 hour and REPLACE the entire CD MODULE. The complete installation was quoted at $150 CDN. (Norther Pesos) or about $100 US. I had them install a security system for $250 CDN, with remote door locks, remote rear glass lid release, kill switch and fuel pump intercept). They were very good and I will have them do the CD MODULE change-out next spring, as car is in strorage during winter. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:31 PM
Sandy S
Burning Brakes

I took one apart once. There is an amazing amount of hardware in there. I never saw so many screws and little parts. The manufacturing cost must have been outrageous by today's standards.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (Don't have the $ to upgrade right now..)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever fix a BLOSE CD player themselves? Mine died! (Don't have the $ to upgrade right now..)