Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with trailer brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 10:08 PM
madmaxgt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with trailer brakes!

Can someone please tell me if this is correct. My truck has a factory 7 Pin connector and with my trailers electric brakes I know that one wire goes to the brake control pin (hot) and the other to ground. My question is do I ground it to the "common groud" pin of my connector or does the other wire get grounded to the trailer? I don't want to short out my brake controller if you know what I mean. Any help would be great, Thanks :flag
Old 11-25-2002, 10:12 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: Help with trailer brakes! (madmaxgt)

my trailer is wired so the brake hot wire comes form the front by itself. Ground then is to the ground pin in connector. May depend on year of your vehicle and type controller. Drop by a trailer place and ask them for sure.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:59 PM
GTLocke13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help with trailer brakes! (madmaxgt)

Ground it through the pin in the connector. If you ground it to the trailer frame, the return path goes through the trailer hitch back to the battery. Rust and dirt can add resistance to the electrical connection. Plus, electrical current flow can cause rust if there's any metal but steel on the return path.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with trailer brakes!

Quick Reply: Help with trailer brakes!