Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 07:40 PM
carrerarod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets...

I plan on replacing my factory bose HU with an Alpine CDA-78xx or CDA-79xx. Haven't decided yet. I already have the OEM-1 on order to use the existing speakers until my A/D/S equipment comes in.

I am looking to buy the faceplate kit for my '02 and confused between the GM1485 & GM1486. On the surface it looks like both would work for my application but wondered if anybody knew what the difference is between each or if only one of them would work in our car.

Oh yea, can anyone confirm that the factory CD changer will still be functional using the alpine HU & OEM-1 adapter? Again this is only for a couple of months until I get my A/D/S amp and speakers in and will be using an Ai-Net compatible CD changer at that time.

Many Thanks!

[Modified by carrerarod, 3:43 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-23-2002, 01:53 AM
Conquer
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (carrerarod)

I am looking to buy the faceplate kit for my '02 and confused between the GM1485 & GM1486. On the surface it looks like both would work for my application but wondered if anybody knew what the difference is between each or if only one of them would work in our car.
Heres where you can get the proper faceplate:

http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/...stallation.htm
Old 10-23-2002, 02:01 AM
carrerarod
Instructor

Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (Conquer)

Thanks Conquer. I had seen that one (from your other posts). I noticed that tune-town offer 3 different faceplates. Will all 3 work or just this model? I ask because this one looks a little weird for lack of a better term. I have used Scosche in the past and they have an excellent fit but seems like they just don't quite have one for the '02 yet.

Do you use this one and if so do you have a picture?

Thanks! :)
Old 10-23-2002, 02:04 AM
carrerarod
Instructor

DOH! I clicked your sig and saw your install pix. I assume the pix on your site is of that kit offered @ tune-town?

:)
Old 10-23-2002, 03:04 PM
MY2K2C5
Racer

I have the CDA-7998 and I used a metra faceplate. As for the 12 disc changer... it will have to go bubye... :mad :cry I was in your position earlier this year and found that it wouldn't work. I then was going to leave the OEM speakers and just change the HU. That would have sounded crappy so I just went for it. Removed the 12 disc changer and plunked a sub enclosure in the hole. :smash: :mad

I thought that since the 7998 played MP3's what need would I have for 11 extra discs in the car. I burn all my discs onto cd anyway and thus no need for the 12 disc changer... :cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 01:01 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Ask for the "METRA" kit by name. Get the best.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:09 AM
carrerarod
Instructor

Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (The^Nomad)

Ask for the "METRA" kit by name. Get the best.
Thanks! Can you recommend a place online that carries the METRA line?
Old 10-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Conquer
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

DOH! I clicked your sig and saw your install pix. I assume the pix on your site is of that kit offered @ tune-town?

:)

Yes.. its the one from tune town. In the picture, the larger piece is the one you will use. Just cut the middle out (4 small connections near the corners) and your good to go. This is the same one I used in my 98 to. It will (in my opinion) give you the best install.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:06 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (Conquer)

And get a 79 series alpine. They have better CD sections and sound cleaner than the 78 series. You won't tell with low to mid level stuff but the A/D/S is good enough you'll be able to hear the difference. :yesnod:
Old 10-24-2002, 01:05 PM
carrerarod
Instructor

Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (92TripleBlack)

And get a 79 series alpine. They have better CD sections and sound cleaner than the 78 series. You won't tell with low to mid level stuff but the A/D/S is good enough you'll be able to hear the difference. :yesnod:
Thanks for the tip. I was leaning that way anyways but was hard pressed to justify the difference in money looking at the specs. Sounds like the major differences are in the quality of the electronics...

:cheers:
Old 10-25-2002, 02:24 AM
Conquer
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets... (92TripleBlack)

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets...

Quick Reply: Quick Question about aftermarket HU brackets...