Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me make my system sound better

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help me make my system sound better

So I bought the car, 2006 C6 with Bose and NAV, with some fancy sound system. It had two 10 inch Boston sub woofers with dual amps and some canister looking thing. The box took up the whole trunk so I removed it and hooked everything back up to the stock Bose amp and it is really quiet. I know most say the stock system leaves a lot to be desired but I have to think it is better than this.

Anyway, I am now wondering if the speakers are under powered. I have Boston SL60 in the doors with the tiny tweeters that I assume are part of the SL60's. Stock center dash speaker. And Boston rear speakers (didn't take out completely so not sure what model).

So all speakers are hooked back up the stock way to the stock Bose amp. Are those speakers under power? Are they bad/wrong speakers?

If I need to put a new amp in I would like one that fits in the stock location if that exists? I would consider changing the head unit as well to get a NAV that you can use while driving as well as an IPOD connection.

All ears for suggestions. Thank you
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

The fronts are underpowered, amp them with an after market. You can run the rear fill off the head unit, disconnect the center and think about some bass in the back. IMO.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

is there a good amp that fits in the stock bose locations?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Call Dennis, he can help you figure out what you want/need and hook you up
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

how much can you spend and do you have any local audio stores you can deal with in your area?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

A lot but don't want to as I really don't need window shaking power. Really don't want to lose trunk space.

Yes, seems like I should call DD but was hoping for a simple, DYI solution.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

there is one. amplify the main speakers and use a single 8" for a sub in a vettenuts corner glass box. they take up very little room and work well with the jl 8w3v3 or sundown 8"
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

can you hook up speakers directly to the stock HU? And if so would I be better off just hooking up the rears now to that? thanks

BTW I disconnected to the center dash and it made it worse.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The stock HU doesn't have a speaker level output. If you're currently connected to the oem amp, that's as good as it gets.

Aftermarket rear coax are prob OK with stock amp, but your front components are definitely underpowered, to sound good they need a lot more power than the oem amp can supply.

I know the Arc mini amps will fit in the footwell (pics), and there are other brands that small also.

Even with aftermarket power on current speakers, you'll be missing a lot of the bass, so at least consider a small corner sub in the back.

My suggestion:
A single Arc KS125.4 in the oem amp location can be ran bridged as a 3-channel amp with 75w to each front component and 250w to a 4ohm sub (an Arc 10D2 in a Vettenuts box would be perfect). You can ditch the rears or continue to run them off the oem amp if you like the rear fill (and both amps fit in the footwell), but IMO the rears wouldn't be needed with that combo of properly powered components & sub. If you want to amp the rears you can do the same amp combo as the link I posted above with just the KS125.5 for fronts/rears, then add a KS500.1 for a sub.

Try this first... Connect the amp you took out to run only the speakers you have installed now with good aftermarket power. If you like the way it sounds you can get a KS125.4 and hide it in the footwell for a completely stealth install with nothing in the trunk. If you decide to add a corner sub, it can easily be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me make my system sound better

Quick Reply: Help me make my system sound better