Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Is this a suitable ground? ... alternator whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 PM
shawnz28
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a suitable ground? ... alternator whine

In my 08 non bose I had an Alpine INE-S920HD using the GMOS harness with no issue. I removed it and installed in my new 12 with bose and added a ASWC to the wiring (this has 3 more wires that are added to the ground). Now that it is installed in the 12 I have alternator whine that I did not have before. I am assuming this is a ground issue? I removed the ASWC from its plug effectively removing its wiring from the equation I think with no change.

Should I run a new ground for the head? Should I ground the head by itself or should I ground it and the GMOS and ASWC all together?

Finally for maybe the dumb question... if I make a new ground not sure how easy it would be to get to the firewall but would this screw under the console by the heated seat switches work effectively?
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM
shawnz28
Navigator

Well I regrounded everything to a screw to the left of the dash I found mentioned in another thread and still getting noise when the car is running. Might be a bit less but still there.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Any bolt attached to the frame would be OK to use.

Sometimes moving the grounds around helps.

Sometimes grounding the - feed to the amp helps, like this.

Many times you just have to splice in some GLI's
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
shawnz28
Navigator

I assume for either of those options I need to cut up the wiring and splice in rcas somehow? Currently I am not using rcas as the gmos uses the speaker level outputs.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
shawnz28
Navigator

Here is another question the steering wheel control adapter has three wires that go to the ground, the gmos has one, the parking break bypass has one, the relay has one and the radio has one. I combined all the harnesses to a single ground and the relay and the radio to a second. I then grounded them all to the same bolt. The local shop said to try splitting them up to different locations but that seems counterproductive and would increase possibility of a loop would it not?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by shawnz28
I assume for either of those options I need to cut up the wiring and splice in rcas somehow? Currently I am not using rcas as the gmos uses the speaker level outputs.
If it were my car and i wanted to experiment with GLI's, I'd probably buy an Add-GM24 harness and splice the GLI's into it (with RCA's on the add24 or just cut the GLI wires and splice them in). You could even add a few feet of wire so you don't have to stuff them in behind the radio.

If it doesn't work or you don't like what it does to the sound you can just unplug the adapter and you're back to normal.

Originally Posted by shawnz28
Here is another question the steering wheel control adapter has three wires that go to the ground, the gmos has one, the parking break bypass has one, the relay has one and the radio has one. I combined all the harnesses to a single ground and the relay and the radio to a second. I then grounded them all to the same bolt. The local shop said to try splitting them up to different locations but that seems counterproductive and would increase possibility of a loop would it not?
If you have whine now, what can it hurt to try?

What SWI do you have that needs 3 ground wires
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 AM
shawnz28
Navigator

Thanks for all the info....

I took the radio and relay and grounded to one location, and then the others to another with no noticable change.

As for the SWI, I have the Metra ASWC. And while not technically 3 ground wires the instructions say to put black to ground as well as connect the White/Green wire and the Green/Orange wire of the ASWC to chassis ground.
http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/12422.pdf

The noise I have is not extreme but definately there.... do you think a noise filter like this is worth a try? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bq55hZH...-250-watt.html
Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I use a power line filter on everything but the amps in my cars, seems to help

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a suitable ground? ... alternator whine

Quick Reply: Is this a suitable ground? ... alternator whine