Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New HU and Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM
MIKE07083
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HU and Speakers

Hello All...Just bought myself a 2000 vette convertible. It still has the factory HU and bose speakers. I want to change the HU and the speakers. I have an older Alpine 1.5 din CDA-D852. That should fit nicely into the stock opening. As for the speakers I was thinking about JBL 6.5" separate's in the front and JBL 5.25" coax in the rear sides....The reason with going with the JBL's I have them in my 2013 Challenger and they sound GREAT..For now I will just use the radio power of the unit itself to power the speakers...As for a sub & amp I was thinking of going with a stealth box that fits in the rear center compartment housing a single 12" sub. As for the amp I will go with a Kicker IX500.1...Any thought or suggestions about this set up or other items?? Please let me know...One more thing...I was thinking of mounting the tweeter in the front in the upper door panel instead of having it hidden behind the door panel...Ant thoughts about this idea?? Also I saw an adaptor cable that I can plug into the cd changer port on the back of the CDA-D852 and I can use an MP3 player with all my cd's of it as the CDA-D852 doesn't have a USB port....Thanks a lot....Mike
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The HU internal amps won't put out very much power at all, so the components will be lacking unless you get an external amp.

For connecting the radio to car, there's a 3-wire pigtail in the passenger footwell that has ground, B+, and switched (fuses and wire colors here). It's usually taped to a wire bundle in the upper left corner, but could be anywhere

Many have cut a hole in the plastic directly behind the door pull handle for tweets

Quick Reply: New HU and Speakers