Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Speaker Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM
flatwater
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Default C6 Speaker Upgrade Questions

I've got a 2007 vert with Bose (no nav). The speakers are horrible, particularly with the top down. Eventually I want to replace the head unit with a Pioneer (Carplay) unit, but not ready to put up the cash yet.

My questions are these: Can I just replace the speakers and signicantly improve the sound quality? Can this be done as a straightforward speaker swap, i.e no fabrication, using the same wires, using the existing amp, etc. and finally, what would a reasonable set of speakers cost?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I replaced the rears, tweeters, and middle speaker in my Bose and was quite pleased http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-speakers.html You'll have to clip off the Bose connectors and solder on standard connectors for the new speakers, but it's easily done.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Just replacing the speakers will give you better highs and cleaner sound, but it won't make it any louder.

You don't have to cut the wires if you get the right adapters.

http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-CORVE...AGES_c1397.htm
Old 07-19-2014, 03:38 PM
GaryPitts
Racer

Wish I had known about those Metra adapters before I did mine That would'a been nice. Ha!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM
flatwater
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Just replacing the speakers will give you better highs and cleaner sound, but it won't make it any louder.

You don't have to cut the wires if you get the right adapters.

http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-CORVE...AGES_c1397.htm
I don't think volume is my problem. With the top down I turn the volume up but before I can comfortably hear the music the clarity goes away. Similar issue with the top up, just not as noticeable. I just want a cleaner sound, particularly with the top down. Will replacing speakers solve that?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

All C6's I've drove in with Bose and the top down lacked volume and qualityA vert is a very noisy environment for a good sound system. Replacing at least the fronts with quality components and upping the power with a two channel amp will improve it a bunch. It will be louder(when extra volume is desired) and clearer(at all volumes) with actual tweeters and better midrange. A new head unit really doesnt supply enough power to make a good set of components shine. As is the Bose gets awful muddy when cranked up. Got rid of mine as quick as I was able.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
GaryPitts
Racer

Originally Posted by flatwater
I don't think volume is my problem. With the top down I turn the volume up but before I can comfortably hear the music the clarity goes away. Similar issue with the top up, just not as noticeable. I just want a cleaner sound, particularly with the top down. Will replacing speakers solve that?
Replacing the rears, door tweeters and middle speaker will give you the highs and mids you want. The volume will be about the same which for me is adequate, but not loud with top down and speed. It's going to be a lot more expensive to fix that. You can get better sound by replacing the 5 speakers for around $130 +/-. Good value!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

played around with this in a c5 for awhile before i upgraded everything and ran amps

what i noticed was it still always had that bose sound to a degree. this means spending $100 or $500 on speakers isn't likely to make a huge difference provided they stay on bose power

something cheap & decent like a morel maximo, JL c2 or kicker KS would be about as much as i would want to spend.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by flatwater
If you get speakers that can handle ALL of the power that the amp is sending to them, then yes, they should.

That means I'd look for speakers with a higher RMS rating to make sure they can take everything the stock amp has. In the link I put in post #3 that would be the CS series

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Speaker Upgrade Questions

Quick Reply: C6 Speaker Upgrade Questions