Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Electrical Question

I know it has been discussed many times over but I cannot seem to find one specifically like my question.

I am wanting to have brighter driving lights on my C6. I am considering the HID conversion and probably will later on. I have seen others ask about using higher watt bulbs and the hazards from doing so, but most of those have had to do with a huge difference from stock such as a stock 45w and putting in a 100w bulb. Clearly I can see the potential problems. So my question is this.

If the stock bulb is a 45w bulb, is a small increase up to a 65w bulb going to be okay? Like I said before, if I was going to go from a 45w to a 90w or something, double the OEM watts, then I understand, but what about just a small increase, and if not from 45w to 65w, what about 45w to 55w?

If an electrical expert can explain to me the facts about this I would appreciate it. Rather than a comment of this may happen. Rather facts such as the difference in battery draw, heat output etc. so I and others can understand.

Thanks in advance.

Ghost
Old 07-15-2014, 06:37 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

HID's with equivalent light output use about 1/3 the power of standard bulbs, so you can swap them in without any worries.

If you go with higher wattage standard bulbs I'd stay under 150% of oem watt rating unless you install a "high wattage" relay harness.

IMO the C6 factory fogs are plenty bright, but they do all seem to come from the factory pointed straight down. Adjust them up a bit and see how you like it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Thank you Mark, I replaced the OEM 9145 12.8v 45w standard bulb with Sylvania Silver Star Ultra 9005 12.8v 65w bulb. I also noticed as you said the left one was aimed down and the right one seemed good so I adjusted the left one up. They are not HID's but I will say I am very happy with the results. I am hopeful that since I just went from 45w to 65w that they will be ok.

Here is an after photo, I think it is neat how they shine in the shape of a Bowtie since the Chevrolet nickname is Bowtie.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Okay, I have another question, or rather a still unanswered one.

Is there a way, to keep the driving lights on with the high beam lights. Currently, as we all know, the driving lights stay on when the low beam lights are on and switch off when the high beams are activated. I simply want to stop them from turning off when the high beams are activated so that I will have the driving lights on at all times unless I turn them off. If I turn them on, they stay on with lights off, with low beam and high beam. Does anyone know how to do that.

I do not know if this is wired into the driving lights or if it is controlled by one or more computers or BCM or something similar. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

That's an easy one, CLICK HERE

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Question

Quick Reply: Electrical Question