Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Upgrade Nav/Stereo system install testing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 AM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrade Nav/Stereo system install testing question

I am about to install a Kenwood DNX890HD and need to know if the center console bezel should be reinstalled and the associated connections made - hazard flashers, cig lighter, aux power, mag ride control, traction control - before turning the system on. Not having to make these connections would save a lot of time and effort with potential debugging, but will it result in a system shut down or otherwise interfere with system checking and adjustments such as chime volume etc? I am assuming that most of the testing can be done in accessory mode without starting the engine - is this correct?

I have a 2008 C6 base A6
No Bose, standard factory system and speakers
OnStar installed but no subscription, wish to retain capability
A Metra VT-GMOS - 04 integration adapter
A Metra E-5000 relay included
A rear view camera is being added
A Kenwood KCA-IP302 interface cable for ipod/iphone

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:30 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by ZBEE 062
I am about to install a Kenwood DNX890HD and need to know if the center console bezel should be reinstalled and the associated connections made - hazard flashers, cig lighter, aux power, mag ride control, traction control - before turning the system on. Not having to make these connections would save a lot of time and effort with potential debugging, but will it result in a system shut down or otherwise interfere with system checking and adjustments such as chime volume etc? I am assuming that most of the testing can be done in accessory mode without starting the engine - is this correct?
no
you do not need to put it back in

I have a 2008 C6 base A6
No Bose, standard factory system and speakers
OnStar installed but no subscription, wish to retain capability
A Metra VT-GMOS - 04 integration adapteryou will want to use th c2rgm24 harness and not the gmos if you ask me
A Metra E-5000 relay includednot needed
A rear view camera is being added
A Kenwood KCA-IP302 interface cable for ipod/iphonewrong ipod cable you need the ip202

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

DD Mods,
Thanks for the response, I need as much help as I can get. I ordered the KCA-IP302 cable for another head unit but changed to the DNX890HD thinking the iPod KCA cable would be the same. My mistake, thanks for catching that. I am looking into the alternate interface and the need for the relay after your comments.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm about 2 hours away, if we can work out a date that works for both of us I can easily do that install in an afternoon. Dinner at Outback would be on you when we're done.

If you want to retain OnStar functionality you can't use the C2R-GM24. The GMOS would work, but I believe the OS-2C would be a better choice. Dennis can prob confirm this.

Not on your list of parts that you'll also need are an antenna adapter and mounting adapter plate.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by markcz
I'm about 2 hours away, if we can work out a date that works for both of us I can easily do that install in an afternoon. Dinner at Outback would be on you when we're done.

If you want to retain OnStar functionality you can't use the C2R-GM24. The GMOS would work, but I believe the OS-2C would be a better choice. Dennis can prob confirm this.

Not on your list of parts that you'll also need are an antenna adapter and mounting adapter plate.
Mark, yes I am interested, please send me a pm and we can discuss details.

I have run into the intermittent "stuck in park syndrome" on C5's and C'6's automatics and so while I had everything apart I attacked the old Kenwood DNX5160 stereo/nav with the intention of updating it to HD radio. In the end I decided to upgrade to a new system that will be compatible with an iphone 4S. Current state is I have the old system and interface cable out and I am waiting for delivery, scheduled Monday (7/7/14), of the DNA 890HD, Metra gmos4 cable and relay plus the mounting plate from C*****field. I do have the GM antenna adaptor, thanks for catching that. I will order the KCA ip202 tonight or tomorrow.

I forgot to mention I also have a HUD installed. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that comes with the factory nav installed system but has the basic speed etc.

I just found out that the 890HD can access the OBD system and will look for the appropriate interface cable.

I also have the Sirius radio module and antenna from the existing system that I would like to transfer to the new system if possible although I do not have a subscription, looks like a simple plug in.

Thanks for your response, looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that the 890HD can access the OBD system and will look for the appropriate interface cable.
I have an 890 in my car and I am very happy with it. How does it interface with OBD and why do you want it to?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wera32
I have an 890 in my car and I am very happy with it. How does it interface with OBD and why do you want it to?
Last I saw, the device that would allow an aftermarket Kenwood to interface with the oem HUD is still in development for C6 (software isn't written yet)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wera32
The intent is that an interface cable plugs into the OBDII socket and the other end plugs into the 890 and you view the data through the OEM input option. The Kenwood manual has very little information on this but implies it is a Idatalink Maestro cable. However, I agree with Markcz, I don't think they have followed through with the development yet after reviewing the Idatalink web site, could be mistaken though.

I do have an OBDII to wifi device made by PLX, the KIWI. You can connect it to the OBDII socket and an iPad/Iphone through the wifi system. You then have to purchase 3rd party software to view the data. Quite a nice system with good graphics but not usable while driving except by a passenger.

I recently ran into a problem when I filled up with gas and the gauge only read about 50% full. I got cryptic warnings on the DIC about a fuel system failure and my available range (miles) did not update from before the fill up. When I got home I plugged in the OBDII device and it said left fuel sensor failure. Fortunately it was covered by the extended warranty, but with only 4 days remaining! It saved days of troubleshooting that would have likely extended past the warranty expiration date.

Possible need for OBDII information:
Since I now have about 105,000 miles on the car (2008) and plan on continuing extended road trips I may start to see these types of failures and I thought an "on line" OBDII report would be useful. The 2014 DNX891 model does have wifi capability but I think you would still need some type of software to view the data even if you could connect with the PLX wifi transmitter. For now I will live with the PLX device and an iPhone/Ipad.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The intent is that an interface cable plugs into the OBDII socket and the other end plugs into the 890 and you view the data through the OEM input option. The Kenwood manual has very little information on this but implies it is a Idatalink Maestro cable. However, I agree with Markcz, I don't think they have followed through with the development yet after reviewing the Idatalink web site, could be mistaken though.

I do have an OBDII to wifi device made by PLX, the KIWI. You can connect it to the OBDII socket and an iPad/Iphone through the wifi system. You then have to purchase 3rd party software to view the data. Quite a nice system with good graphics but not usable while driving except by a passenger.

I recently ran into a problem when I filled up with gas and the gauge only read about 50% full. I got cryptic warnings on the DIC about a fuel system failure and my available range (miles) did not update from before the fill up. When I got home I plugged in the OBDII device and it said left fuel sensor failure. Fortunately it was covered by the extended warranty, but with only 4 days remaining! It saved days of troubleshooting that would have likely extended past the warranty expiration date.

Possible need for OBDII information:
Since I now have about 105,000 miles on the car (2008) and plan on continuing extended road trips I may start to see these types of failures and I thought an "on line" OBDII report would be useful. The 2014 DNX891 model does have wifi capability but I think you would still need some type of software to view the data even if you could connect with the PLX wifi transmitter. For now I will live with the PLX device and an iPhone/Ipad.
you need yes the Maestro RR module T Harness and not available firmware to get the info to display

also
the DNN991 is the wifi unit....not the DNX891

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade Nav/Stereo system install testing question

Quick Reply: Upgrade Nav/Stereo system install testing question