Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Activate "XM" port on 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:37 AM
gcatal01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Activate "XM" port on 2005

I need to activate the"XM" port on my 2005 with factory Bose, "XM" cable but no "XM" receiver. I have been able to locate a SIR-GM! receiver and an OEM "XM" receiver. Can I use either unit to activate the "XM" port, I know I will actually have to get someone with a TECH II to program the radio?? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by gcatal01; 06-23-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Since you already have the SIR-GM1 you can see if just plugging it in will activate the radio's XM feature, maybe you'll get lucky.

There's a link in the C6 audio sticky thread for how to replace the oem XM box w/ new SIR-GM1, it has good pics for what to look for.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM
gcatal01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by markcz
Since you already have the SIR-GM1 you can see if just plugging it in will activate the radio's XM feature, maybe you'll get lucky.

There's a link in the C6 audio sticky thread for how to replace the oem XM box w/ new SIR-GM1, it has good pics for what to look for.
I appreciate the reply, but I guess my original question wasn't clear. I have located both units, but haven't purchased either of them and I am trying to find which unit would be best, for the first time activation?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Flip a coin. Look at program options to decide if you want Sirius or XM, not much difference these days except for the free sports that come with each service (unless that's all the same now too, I haven't checked for a while).

Does your car have the wires/plug at the rear wheel hump for the sat box? If not, may be expensive to add either.

Don't buy a used oem XM box, they get 'married' to the first HU they're plugged in to and can't be reprogrammed AFAIK.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM
gcatal01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by markcz
Flip a coin. Look at program options to decide if you want Sirius or XM, not much difference these days except for the free sports that come with each service (unless that's all the same now too, I haven't checked for a while).

Does your car have the wires/plug at the rear wheel hump for the sat box? If not, may be expensive to add either.

Don't buy a used oem XM box, they get 'married' to the first HU they're plugged in to and can't be reprogrammed AFAIK.
Thanks for the reply, I did locate the Delphi 16 pin cable, where the "XM" receiver should be mounted. Also, I ordered the SIR-GM1 unit and made an appointment with my dealer to program the radio. I will update if successful. The reason I am going thru this hassle is to get an "Aux" port, into my radio, for adding a "Bluetooth" unit.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by gcatal01
Thanks for the reply, I did locate the Delphi 16 pin cable, where the "XM" receiver should be mounted. Also, I ordered the SIR-GM1 unit and made an appointment with my dealer to program the radio. I will update if successful. The reason I am going thru this hassle is to get an "Aux" port, into my radio, for adding a "Bluetooth" unit.
You might of found better way with aftermarket radio and xm receiver.
This what Installed in my 05 with all the bells and whistles. Love talking on the phone using bluetooth.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 06-26-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
gcatal01
Heel & Toe

Default Follow up

Just to follow up on my quest to activate the "XM" port, on my radio. I purchased and installed the SIR-GM1 XM module. Took my car along with the TECH II "Programming" instructions, I found on the web,to activate the port, to my local GM Dealer. After 1Hour they gave up and said they couldn't find the "XM" port option, but if I wanted to leave my car they would call GM and see if there was an "Updated" VCIM module, that might work. I said thanks but NO Thanks, took my car and left.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 PM
GuLuMoNeY
Advanced

any update on this? I'm in the same situation. I have already installed an ISimple and purchased a sirius sir-gm1 but nothing happened when i plugged it into the xm satellite port. still no xm option. I have a non nav non xm bose 6 disc in dash. please help!

thank you VERY MUCH for your help.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:41 AM
GuLuMoNeY
Advanced

so, i was able to get my xm port activated so i may use my Isimple i installed. I love it! i think the sound quality is great via bluetooth!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM
gcatal01
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GuLuMoNeY
so, i was able to get my xm port activated so i may use my Isimple i installed. I love it! i think the sound quality is great via bluetooth!
I would appreciate any information, you could provide, regarding how your XM port was activated ?? Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 AM
GuLuMoNeY
Advanced

Originally Posted by gcatal01
I would appreciate any information, you could provide, regarding how your XM port was activated ?? Thanks
Hey! click the link below. I replied in a post of what i did, it should be on the last page unless someone else posts after me. If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks and good luck!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...5-13-c6-6.html

Get notified of new replies

To Activate "XM" port on 2005

Quick Reply: Activate "XM" port on 2005