Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 02:09 AM
DETROITc4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone????

im goin in to buy a 10" Alpine Type R tomorow and a V12 amp and am gonna install in storage bin, or at least try, are there any tips or things to look out for?i already have power and remote and RCA's ran, as for the storage bin, any cutting required, dynamat, stuff like that
thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 06:24 PM
buddha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (DETROITc4)

You really should have a fiberglass enclosure made for it in the exact volume specified for that sub. Sealed or ported depending on what it's designed to work best in. Any good car audio shop should make you one for not too much money, you should get a good deal from the shop you're buying the sub and amp from. Might have to shop around a little.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:05 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (buddha)

You really should have a fiberglass enclosure made for it in the exact volume specified for that sub. Sealed or ported depending on what it's designed to work best in. Any good car audio shop should make you one for not too much money, you should get a good deal from the shop you're buying the sub and amp from. Might have to shop around a little.
You could try to make your own sub box ... its not that hard ... I suggest that you make it out of 3/4inch MDF for the C5 ... mrkln has plan's on the web ... the MDF is stronger.

While fiberglass will fit perfectly ... it has a chance to crack under pressure ... My friend created a pure 'glass box and it cracked ... a MDF/Glass mix, ie ... MDF substructure ... Glass lid ...
Old 07-21-2002, 08:14 PM
DETROITc4
Racer

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (NewVetteLover)

his plans would work if i had a c5 :yesnod: but im installing it in my 86 c4, i have made custom boxes before but i was thinking if i sealed it off real tight and maybe layed some dynamat that it might just work,
Old 07-21-2002, 08:18 PM
AP
Team Owner

his plans would work if i had a c5 :yesnod: but im installing it in my 86 c4, i have made custom boxes before but i was thinking if i sealed it off real tight and maybe layed some dynamat that it might just work,
Sorry ... I didnt notice your tag ...
Old 07-21-2002, 08:39 PM
DETROITc4
Racer

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (NewVetteLover)

its cool. but thanks for the tip for the c5 my dad wants a lil more bass in his 97 maybe ill have to whip up a box for his vette
Old 07-23-2002, 01:42 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking if i sealed it off real tight and maybe layed some dynamat that it might just work,
That's exactly what I did with my 10" JL Audio sub and it sounds great; assuming you're not trying to set SPL records. My storage lid replacement is 1/2" MDF running all the way across, glued/screwed to 3/4" MDF that fits just inside the right compartment; so that baffle is thick. The walls are still fibreglas with two layers of dynamat-like dampening sheets. Even if they flex some, it's outside the listening environment anyway (underneath the car). Without doing the full box, you could also epoxy some 1/4" plywood pieces to reinforce the walls if you wanted.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:14 PM
kenfusion
Instructor

DetroitC4,

got your IM, I'll send you over the results from our attempts at the same project later this week. So far we have made one removable box that sounds pretty good. I am also going to try make a slide in lid design that will seal the enclosure utilizing the space itself as a box. I imagine that this will require quite a bit of dampening and some structural work to avoid warp and harsh resonance etc. Ideally If we are pleased with the results I'll have the specs drafted up in cad and post for others to use.

Ken :cheers:

im goin in to buy a 10" Alpine Type R tomorow and a V12 amp and am gonna install in storage bin, or at least try, are there any tips or things to look out for?i already have power and remote and RCA's ran, as for the storage bin, any cutting required, dynamat, stuff like that
thanks
Old 07-24-2002, 02:32 AM
DETROITc4
Racer

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (kenfusion)

thanks kenfusion i got my Type R today it looks like its gonna be pretty good, the magnet on this thing is unbelievable, i just gotta get it all setup tomorow i got a roadtrip and i leave on thursday so i got a day to work on it, what did you make the box out of, mdf?
im gonna im you so if your on give me a holla
thanks
ryan
Old 07-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Sexy99C5
Heel & Toe

I got 1 Alpine Type R 10" in the back of my C5, and man does that thing sounds nic, good luck with it. I made my box out of mdf....
Old 07-26-2002, 12:06 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (Sexy99C5)

I went the same route as gsrouse. All I did was cut a 32in by 14in board out of 1/2in MDF and reused the existind screw holes. Then I lined the storage compartment with Dynamat sound dampning material and filled it with polyfill. Oh ya, I also used rubber weatherstripping to seal the board to the fiberglass. I am using an Infinity 10" sub with a sony 760w amp and it sounds better then many bigger systems I have heard. Install pics to come very soon.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:22 AM
DETROITc4
Racer

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (NUckINg FuTS)

yeah that sounds like what im gonna do after all, i tried to make a box type thingy for the bin but just such a weired space i might just do the 32 x14 mdf like you said and just make sure its sealed down nice and tight and maybe use some dynamat
would like to see pics or your install nucking futs
Old 07-27-2002, 09:09 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

I'll try to get pics up as soon as possible.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:58 AM
DETROITc4
Racer

Default Re: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone???? (NUckINg FuTS)

i finished up my install tonight and havent had time to post pics as of now i have the one 10" type R and one peice of crap 300 watt no name amp i borrowed from my friend until mine is off backorder, but its sealed down in the passenger side storage bin and i think as of now even underpowered it sounds better than my 2 12" mtx's i had in there before pics forthcomin late evening tomorow

Get notified of new replies

To Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone????

Quick Reply: Installing 1 10" Type R in storage bin, tips anyone????