Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C5 Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)

The last car stereo "system" I installed myself was probably back in '86 or '87. I have no idea how or why but I got the wild hair again. I plan to take many pics but the narration will certainly be lacking.

Here it goes...

Dennis at Double D Mods supplied about 90% of this build.

Head Unit: Kenwood DNX891HD (in a DD modded bezel of course).
Signal Processor: Alpine PXA-H800
Controller: Alpine RUX-C800
Sub Amplifier: Old School Rockford Fosgate Power 1000C in chrome
Mids + Highs Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate Power 650 (4" fan in Chrome)
Rear Fill Amplifier: Old School Rockford Fosgate Punch 150
Subwoofers: Two Arc Audio Black Series 12's
More Subs: Two Arc Audio Black Series 10's
Mid Range: Legatia L6V2's
Legatia L3SE's
Rear Fill: Legatia L6V2's
Highs: Legatia L1V2's in A-pillars and in door handles.

Battery Isolator: 300 Amp Power-Gate Dual Rectifier By Perfect Switch
Cranking Battery: Die-Hard Platinum
System Batteries: Red Top Optima X 2 (Die-Hard wouldn't fit

Sound Deadener: RAAMmat and Ensolite
Sirius/XM Radio
Front and Rear Cameras

All wiring, connections and install supplies from KnuKonceptz.

This project will absolutely tax my skills, patience and wallet to the max.
I just hope it turns out like I envision it.

Feel free to ask any questions. If I don't know the answer I can surely B.S. it...

And so this story begins....

The dis-assembly stage.

Installation of the RAAMmat begins. I look like Edward Scissorhands gave me a manicure after this. I think the stuff is a very good product but the thickness of the foil will slice you up if you don't watch out.

Bungee cords to hold wires out of the way (wife had to go pick up the kids from school so helper was gone)

I was glad when that was over. Still have to do the doors but ran out of product and had to order more.

Ensolite begins...

I finished the Ensolite but didn't get the pics uploaded. I am pretty much at a stand still now as I am waiting on components and supplies to arrive.

Last edited by reath1; 05-14-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Title Edit
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it this is not an everyday car.

When I did my system, having room for my shotguns and ammo came first. Really limits what you can do in these cars, especially my convertible.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Beck
I take it this is not an everyday car.

When I did my system, having room for my shotguns and ammo came first. Really limits what you can do in these cars, especially my convertible.

Good luck!
Actually it is an everyday car. If I can pull this off like I am thinking...big IF...I may still be able to get the golf clubs in the back of it. The top will still go back there also believe it or not. If the golf clubs don't fit...no problem...I just inherited the wife's Tahoe after buying her a new Denali.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, got back in from offshore 2 weeks ago and after getting caught up around the house I got back on this project. I spent a couple days trying to figure out and lay out how to get two 12's, two 10's, with proper air space, two extra batteries, three rather LARGE Old School amps, the DSP and all of the associated hardware into this car and still have the removable targa top fit in the back. Way harder than I anticipated. It is a 2 seater sports car after all. I wanted to be able to get it all in there and still make a nice clean install without everything looking "boxy". I couldn't really come up with anything that I liked "geometrically" but I think I can make it work. Here it goes...

Making the two "small amps" flip out for easy access to gain controls threw me a pretty good curve. I didn't want to have to dismount them totally to adjust them.

Getting some "Old School" carpet on the woodwork...

Flip up surround for the 1000. Chrome looks really crappy with fingerprints all over it...

Hopefully get the amp rack carpeted today and then have to shut it down for another two weeks while I go earn some more money to finish this build...lol. When I get back I still have the "rack" that will be mounted behind the passengers seat to hold the Alpine H800 and possibly two Fosgate "Z-preamps", and then the whole front stage along with wiring the whole car.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Got a little more done today before having to clean up the garage and driveway which looks like a nuclear holocaust took place...

I hope it's ok to use the word "giddy" without losing my mancard...but I'm really giddy to get this thing done.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Holy bass Batman

Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For fun, you should weigh your car after this!!! I just started mine today. All old school stuff as well. Old Fosgate amps ( Power 800A2, Power 800A4) Phoenix Gold Ti 500.4, Audio Control 6XS & Epicenter, 2 Diamond Audio MacDaddy 10's, Front & rear: Kicker Resolution Components 7" Midbass, 6"midrange, 1.25" silk dome tweeters
I'm gonna try to do the bulk of it in fiberglass to shave weight. The sound deadening is heavy as it is!
Never seen those amps before. What years were they produced?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

They were made late '80's to very early '90's. Around 100 of the Power 1000's were made total. The 4" fan chrome 650 is also very rare. Not sure on the production numbers though. I had them sent off and totally rebuilt.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Should be a nice build Iron. I love the old school stuff for power and eye candy.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Should have aimed all those subs out the back - every bass beat would be worth a tenth in the quarter mile!

Nice fab work!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

That's cool. Just don't remember those. I'm sure they are beasts. I believe the ones I have are some of the last models still made in the US. I've got a 600A4, 800A4, & an 800A2. All new but I do worry if they are still good. Hopefully nothing can really go bad in them from age. I thought of running all the Fosgate amps but I really like the Titanium series amps from Phoenix Gold. Wish I had a few of them. I'm gonna use the one I have for my front 3 ways. The sound quality of these are awesome.
Just hope the C5 electrical system can handle 3 amps!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
That's cool. Just don't remember those. I'm sure they are beasts. I believe the ones I have are some of the last models still made in the US. I've got a 600A4, 800A4, & an 800A2. All new but I do worry if they are still good. Hopefully nothing can really go bad in them from age. I thought of running all the Fosgate amps but I really like the Titanium series amps from Phoenix Gold. Wish I had a few of them. I'm gonna use the one I have for my front 3 ways. The sound quality of these are awesome.
DC Power Alternator, Perfect Switch Power Gate Isolator and 2 system dedicated batteries. Should be good to go...
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
And that should be a pretty sweet system you're working on also.

Yes, this whole build is based around the Old School Fosgate USA stuff. I stumbled on the 1000 a few years ago and been getting the itch to put it to use since then.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's that kinda bass I'm talkin' 'bout!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, had a little time to get some more work done on this build. A small change of plans also. Having 12 channels of power and only 8 channels of processing, the H800, just didn't make sense. I figured, why pinch pennies at this stage of the game. So...the H800 will be dedicated to the front stage and I ordered a RF 3sixty.3 for the 4 low sub channels of the Power 1000. I will also get to see which unit and software I like better. Although not much I can do. I had my bezel custom modified to mount the rux controller cleanly into it so I really needed a second processor that either stood alone or had a very small controller. Simply running out of room to mount things cleanly. Hence why I went with the Fosgate unit.

A few pics. The back of the car is just about done so I turned my attention to the front. I have been dreading this because this is where things will start to get busy and my wire management skills suck...lol.

Started on the doors. RAAMmatted every inch of the inside of the outer doorskins. Ensolited only behind the mid-bass. Ensolited the interior of the door. Installed the drivers in some plates I got from RAAMAudio and covered the large holes I got from them also. Nice pieces. The L6V2's, L3SE's and a set of L1V2's going in. The L1v2's fit nicely into the door release pockets.

Doors Done!

3'4" Oak plywood mounted behind the passengers seat to mount the two DSP's on. ***Most of you know, but for those that don't DO NOT SCREW MOUNT ANYTHING IN THIS LOCATION! ANYTHING MOUNTED HERE MUST BE SURFACED ATTACHED ONLY! THE BODY OF THE CAR IS EXTREMELY THIN BEHIND BOTH SEATS AND YOUR GAS TANKS ARE DIRECTLY BEHIND THE SHEET METAL HERE AS WELL AS ACROSS THE TOP CONNECTING THE TWO TANKS. DOUBLE SIDE TAPE OR SILICONE MOUNT OR BOTH HERE IF YOU HAVE TO***

Power distribution block made up. 1/0 feed, 1/0 to Power 1000 and 4/0 to Power 650 and Power 300.

Anderson Power Pole connectors that I am using on all power and ground wires for the amps. Pretty pricey but I'm told they are about the best on the market for the task. I wanted the whole system "Plug and Play". Cutting wires when something needs to be removed and re-installed used to bug the crap out of me 30 years ago. All speaker leads coming off of my amps have "Traxxas" high current deans connectors. The ONLY wires that would need to be cut are the power turn on wires and I am thinking of using plug spade connectors there also.

H800 mounted.

Fun with speaker pigtails, deans connectors and heat shrink...lol.

Hopefully I will get this thing together in the next 5 days. I'm actually starting to get burnt out on it at this point. I just hope the rewards are worth the sacrifice.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Curious how the mids sit behind the grilles. Can you post a pic with the panels on without the grills so you can see the speakers? That's what I have been playing with on mine. In that position, it seems fine for the opposite door. But the door nearest you, the angle blocks the mid. At least for me when I was fooling with placement.
Lots of progress, well done.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry guy. Way too much trouble to pull the panels, pull the covers, reinstall the panels and then all over again. I just used the FAST foam rings and all was good.

Get notified of new replies

To Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. The top driver will be about 1/3 Rd blocked. Nothing you can do about that.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

No worries. That's what I was suspecting as that's how mine were laying out as well. You mentioned you bought the door speaker baffles and the access hole covers from Raamaudio? I went to their site and didn't see anything. I planned to just use the mdf I have here and treat it so moisture won't effect it. But if someone sells precut solutions of a better material.....
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Dang...I thought I put a lot of work into mine! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...

Quick Reply: Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)