Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 sound deadening/insulation

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C6 sound deadening/insulation

I am just getting into the audio portions of my C6 coupe mods. This weekend I will be installing the c2 JL Audio speaker package from DoubleD Mods. I am wondering if it would be worth it/noticeable to add any insulation to the doors while I have the panels off? Not ready to remove the seats and do the entire car, just yet. But would just the doors show improvements? If so, any tips? I see in the FAQ there are a couple of good threads that got me thinking about this. What kind of materials do you guys use? Any kits already fitted for a 2013 C6 coupe?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used murder matz on my doors while I had them off. I think its worth it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You have a link of where to buy? I live in LA and if I ask locally for "murder matz" I am sure to get a whole different kind of insulation.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Ensolite on the doors of my C5 and it made a world of difference. I also did the rear hatch area, which also helped a lot.

I bought everything to do my C6, but then recently traded it in on a new Silverado before I got it done. I've got a box of that stuff just sitting in the garage.

You can get damping materials and Ensolite here if you're interested. Good stuff.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:42 AM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ensolite is going to be my top layer. U have 8" midbass in the doors, so I need to stop the rattle too.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Go here and read first, then decide what materials you want to use. Good luck.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Go here and read first, then decide what materials you want to use. Good luck.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Excellent article!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I used Dynamat on my doors, actually the whole car, and its well worth it. it's easy to do take your time and completely cover the entire door. Just putting a strip here and there does not work very well.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I used Dynamat on my doors, actually the whole car, and its well worth it. it's easy to do take your time and completely cover the entire door. Just putting a strip here and there does not work very well.
You can use Dynamat to completely cover the doors, but it's really a waste.

Dynamat (and similar products) is designed to dampen vibration - so thin metal (or in our case, SMC) panels don't vibrate and create/amplify sound. So it's helpful to use on the doors, but you run into diminishing returns from a weight and cost perspective. Anything over a 50% coverage of the door panels is pretty much wasted.

What you really should do is use Dynamat to dampen vibrations, in a 50% coverage, and then use a material that's designed to block sound as a barrier. Strips of Dynamat adhered to the door panel (I did inner and outer panels on the door), plus a barrier (a closed cell foam like Ensolite, or a mass loaded vinyl like Luxury Liner) completely covering the inner door panel.

This will result in reduced (almost eliminated) noise from the door panels, plus outside road noise being blocked by the barrier.

Done properly, it makes a huge difference in noise floor levels in the car, without a huge weight addition.

One other thing that should be done is a blocking plate should be made/used to cover the huge hole in the inner door panel.

Ensolite seems to be pretty effective - but I've always worried about the thickness at 1/8", so when I use it, I usually put two layers. Second Skin's luxury liner is great, but it's more difficult to use - it's much thicker, so getting panels to fit back properly can take more effort.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 03-28-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I am in the process of doing my C5 coupe.
First Second Skin's Damplifier Pro (a vibration dampner similar to Dynamat, but black in color rather than silver):

As stated I am probably using too much coverage, and could get away with about half this amount. Especially on the vertical curved surfaces which are much less prone to vibration than the flat areas of the floor and hatch back.

Next is a full 100% coverage with Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro. This is a barrier of a Mass Loaded Vinyl combined with a cell foam. It goes on foam side down.

All seams are covered with foil tape so there are no gaps:

Next stage will be the door panels. New custom carpeting will be then installed on top. The new carpet also has an insulated backing that I hope will absorb any sound that makes it through the barrier layer.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

We make a pre cut Premium kit from Ensolite and a foil material. It only weighs 7 Lbs. and we have seen a 10 to 12db drop in interior noise and eliminates heat. More info here: C6 Premium Kit

Here are some pics.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To C6 sound deadening/insulation

Quick Reply: C6 sound deadening/insulation