Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Humming in passanger door speaker

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Default Humming in passanger door speaker

I have had this humming or buzzing issue in my 07 C6 Bose Nav and it is very confusing. Has enyone ever experienced this? I have a constant humming noise coming from the passenger door speaker whether the radio is on or off and even without the car running and in accessory mode. I purchased the car when the weather was still warm and did not notice the humming. As the weather became progressively colder I started to notice a humming coming from the speaker. The colder it became the louder the humming became. As I was investigating the noise I noticed that it did not hum until the display on the nav and the headlights came on (The nav display and headlights turns on approximately 3 seconds after the car is started). The humming could be heard with the radio on or off. Also when I pulled down on the latch for the vert top to lock it, the humming momentarily stopped. The humming also stops when I turn off the display on the nav (the radio is still on and playing). When I start the car, it's usually in a dark garage so the headlights turn on. If I turn off the lights the humming sound is reduced but not eliminated. As the interior of the car warmed up or the weather became warmer the volume of the humming became lower and lower, almost to the point of disappearing. Again, the sound only comes from the passanger door speaker, all other speakers are silent. I recently swapped the driver door speaker with the passenger door speaker and the humming continued on the passenger side so that eliminated the possibility of it being a speaker/amp issue. Any ideas for a solution to this perplexing problem? Although I am a pretty handy do-it-yourselfer, I am not an audio tech guy so please use long hand with any possible solutions so I understand. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WhiteDevil828; 03-25-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The stock amp is on from the second you open a door until a minute or so after locking the car so the chimes that are generated by the radio can be heard, just FYI.

From your description, I'd guess that the radio itself is the issue, but it could still be the amp. Any chance you know someone local with an '05-'10 radio sitting around that you could use to verify your problem?

Can you tell if it's coming from the sub or 3.5" speaker?

C6 prints are HERE if you need them.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

I swapped my unit out with a buddy's nav unit but his locked shortly after connecting it. But when it was connected there was no humming. I wasn't sure if there was no humming because it was locked. As far as where the sound is coming from, when I had the door panel off it sounded like it was coming from the speaker itself and not the sub. It's more like a combination of a humming and a high pitches scream and when I accelerate and slow down, the pitch becomes higher and lower concurrently.

Get notified of new replies

To Humming in passanger door speaker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming in passanger door speaker