Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hardwire Garmin GPS to C5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default hardwire Garmin GPS to C5?

I'd like to hard wire my Garmin Nuvi to my 2003 C5. I've searched many threads to find info on this. Some, the pictures are missing on older threads, and can't find one which is really a 'step by step how to'.

Can any one post up a step by step (with photos) of this process for me. Think of helping someone who is 'digitally challenged'.

I think there should be a way to use an 'add a fuse', and another lighter socket to plug the original Garmin cable into, under the dash. What fuse could one use, which is only hot, when the car is started? I think I don't want to splice into the original lighter sockets, because they are always hot; and I don't want battery issues if I forget to turn it off.

I"m mounting the device on the left side, near the A pillar. Sits there nicely with velcro and a small block of wood I cut in triangular shape to fit the dash curve.

Appreciate any help on this. Thanks,
Don
Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

There's an 'accessory power' pigtail with 3 loose wires in the passenger side fuse box area. IIRC it's usually taped to a wire bundle in the upper left corner.

Black is ground, orange is always hot, yellow is switched with ignition. Use black and yellow

It can be hard to find sometimes, but an '03 should have it (GM left it out in '04).

If you blow a fuse....

Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Wire it the way Mark says. I mounted mine in the ashtray area.

Get notified of new replies

To hardwire Garmin GPS to C5?

Quick Reply: hardwire Garmin GPS to C5?