Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 non-Bose audio upgrades

Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C6 non-Bose audio upgrades

I am looking to purchase the Kenwood DNN991HD head unit from Dennis once he takes shipment next month. In the mean time I am thinking about upgrading the stock non-Bose speakers, as well. I was thinking about the JL Audio C2 package as a direct replacement for my door and rear speakers. I was wondering what some of you thought about this combination with my future HU upgrade. Or should I look in another direction? At the current time I am not looking to add an amp or subwoofer, but both may be in the cards for the future. Right now I just want to replace the existing speakers with some good quality. Is there another option in Focal or Kickers that would be better than the JL Audio? What about a replacement for the center dash speaker?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

C2 package is a good choice, should easily notice the improvement, especially with the new HU.

IMO just unplug the center speaker, it sounds better without it
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM
DezVette
Pro

Thanks for the sound advice.

I was just driving my car and notice on the door there are two speaker grills giving output. I know, "you are just seeing that???" LoL

The C2 package has one speaker for the door and one for the rear behind the seat. Is there two to replace in the door? If so, any recommendations?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

You saw right. The small grill on top is the 3.5", which is actually attached to the door skin, not the door itself.

The larger grill at the bottom is the sub, they can't be replaced by a 'real' sub because of their design and the way they operate. Just leave them as-is.

If you were to go all-in and add a true aftermarket sub in the trunk, then you'd want to yank the stock door subs and replace them with the 6" half of a component set and put the tweeters where the current 3.5's are.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 PM
DezVette
Pro

Alright, thanks again. I am not ready for the all-in upgrade just yet because I have a few concerns with the 10" subs that use the cargo box(es) in the rear. First I want to see what the Kenwood and JL Audio package will sound like. If I then crave more deep rumble, I may go for a sub and amp. Baby steps...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 PM
DezVette
Pro

Quick question. The rear 5.25" speakers have JL Audio grills in the box. Will these fit under the panel with the grills on or are they left off to fit under the built-in trim piece?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

There is room for them, but you don't need them and it my be tough to get them installed properly.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 PM
DezVette
Pro

Yeah, I gave it the old community college try yesterday and decided to not use them. The new speakers sound great! Can't wait 'til I get the Kenwood HU next month to top them off.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 non-Bose audio upgrades

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 non-Bose audio upgrades