Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amp install location

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
greek81
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Amp install location

I've read that there is a way to install an amp on the rear vertical trunk wall in a c6. Does anyone have any pics of that? I must be missing something because i just dont seem to fully grasp how that is done
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming you're referring to the vertical wall behind the seats, and not the vertical wall at the very rear of the cargo area (between the taillights)?

If it's the very rear wall - someone had fabricated an amp mounting rack and mounted a single amp back there - I'll see if I can find that post.

If it's the wall behind the seats, it can be done, depending on the size of the amps you want to install, and how tall you are.

The first and most important part.... do NOT mount the amps to the rear wall!!!! The gas tank is directly behind the vertical wall behind the seats, and there's very little tolerance for length of screw that you can use.

The best way to do this is to take a 1/2" thick piece of MDF or plywood, and cut out a piece to cover an area big enough to mount the amps to. You can make it big enough to cover side to side behind the seats, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Remove the carpeting covering the rear vertical panel.

Using Liquid nails, or something similar, adhere the mounting panel you just made to the vertical wall.

Replace the carpeting.

Now you can mount the amp(s) to the mounting panel, being careful to use screws that will not extend beyond the panel depth.

The adhesive used, in combination with the carpeting, should hold the amp in place without any issues. You can also put l brackets at the top and bottom of the mounting panel, and secure them to the floor (using sealant to completely seal the holes in your floor), and to the cross bar that sits at the top of the vertical wall (purely internal piece - you'll know it when you remove the carpeting), if you really want overkill.

You'll loose a couple of inches of seat travel, unless you use a really thin mount amplifier.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 PM
greek81
Pro

Yes i was thinking about the rear vertical wall behind the cargo net. Im trying to avoid losing leg room by placing the amp behind the seat. I also seen a post where someone had mounted an amp under the passenger seat and cutting the carpet for more space. The amp that ill be using is a kenwood excelon series. Their pretty compact amps
Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Rear wall in cargo area works on C5, not so much in C6
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much room to do it in the c6

Yeah what Mark said
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 PM
greek81
Pro

Yeah i took a closer look and the rear vertical wall is tough. Really leaning towards under the passenger seat
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2 amps; one behind each seat. adhesive used to mount MDF plate under carpet; amps screwed to that. very secure, out of sight, well ventilated, and plenty of room for me (5'8")
Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 PM
greek81
Pro

Losing the leg room by placing the amp behind the seat unfortunately is not an option for me. And I'm trying to avoid taking up any space in the trunk area.I know i had seen some old posts of amps being placed under the passenger seat by cutting the carpet but i cant seem to find them
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
sleepy88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking for info on this too! just got an alpine MRV-500 and Pioneer shollow mount sub and enclosure http://shop.doubledmods.com/TS-SWX25...-TS-SWX251.htm

I was considering the driver side storage well, not sure if will effect the amp cooling
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Some people have managed to install amps in cubbies without overheating issues, I've never been that lucky.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In my C5 I have my Kenwood XR5S under the pass seat, no carpet cutting needed to fit, but it's a manual seat so I'm not 100% it'll work with seat motors in. No overheating issues or etc though. Amp is grounded to one of the studs the seat secures to, not visible once the plastic cover is back on. Why not just measure height from the floor to lowest point on the seat?

Get notified of new replies

To Amp install location

Quick Reply: Amp install location