Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

So I think the DMHD1000 and DMHD1000i are one in the same, The one I bought I got on eBay, no remote and no box. In fact it was stated as not being tested, so I got it for a steal.

It did work fine though, and then with the MJS USB cable it worked from my tablet as it could from a PC I believe.

if you watch eBay you could get a deal. I also understand the Visteon 3000 tuner will work too. the interface cable is the same, although I don't know if the android app will work

I wish I would hear back from the developer of the HD radio App or I wish I knew how to modify the code, I would like to have more then 5 presets available..

no real progress this past week, I have not had much time and I doubt I will have any time this week, although I am waiting for my right angle cables, once I get those I can proceed.

I still need to find a good way to get to the power button on the tablet, since my car does sit quite a bit in the winter months

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 02-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for that update Jeff. I was thinking that the 2 HD receivers seemed to be the same. Everything I could find on the internet seemed to imply that there was no difference. The going price seems to be about $40, including shipping, for a new one at the auction site. I'll probably grab one as soon as I have the tablet.
I'm with you, wish I knew how to do some Android programming.
Hoping that you'll get some good weather and some extra time soon. Really looking forward to seeing how this all comes out for you!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

It was a good day yesterday but I was at my Son's swim meet all day

I am hoping to get time tonight and Thursday night and maybe even Sat. this week, I need to start mounting the Tuner and extra gear at least
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

I'll be looking forward to updates!
Think I just got lucky on the tablet. Newegg is having a sale on a refurbished/recertified tablet for $100 with free shipping. It takes a $50 rebate to get to that price, but, hard to pass up.
With that taken care of now I know I'm committed and can start snooping around for the other components.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I suggest the Behringer UCA202, I was watching eBay but bought one on Amazon

As for a Power supply, I spent the extra $$ for the DCDC-USB from Mini-Box, I I got the 8A one, it will be enough to power everything and I found the little $3 one with 3A was not enough when I added a USB Flash Drive, The DCDC has a 4 wire connector I added a USB connection on there and will use the other pair to control a Relay for my amp turn-on.

I also read a noise filter is suggested so I got one, I can post more details later on that one, and then I have a RCA Level controller I will use as a volume control.. Athough if I could fit the Clarion EQ, I would almost just do that, then I could run the Tuner into the AUX of that to get a volume match to the output of the Tablet, but I just don't have the room in the dash unless I relocated my Power key
Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Was just checking Amazon and the auction site for the Behringer. Prices are about the same so may just go with Amazon and grab a couple of other items at the same time for the free shipping.
I am worried about the noise issue. From all my reading on multiple Forums that seems to be most people's biggest headache.
At least I'm finally moving forward after more than 3 years of reading and wishing! The FM receiver has really been my only hangup. Could not see going with the tablet if I'm not able to get local stations for daily driving. Waiting has paid off in a way since so many folks have been able to sort out a lot of the initial problems with the tablet installs, and, the tablets have gotten better and cheaper!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Yeah so for pricing..

MJS cable for the HD tuner, best price I found was at amazon
Behringer I also bought at Amazon
I ordered the OTG Y cable and adapters on eBay
the DB Link NF105 I got here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151115030379...84.m1439.l2649

the Volume control:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400574803642...84.m1439.l2649

but I am seriously considering trying to fit the EQ, if I can do that then the my Line driver will not get installed. I might look at that tonight (I have an EQ I can use for mocking up)

90 Deg USB:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111127082839...84.m1439.l2649

Power supply:
http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB

A bit overkill, but I want to do this once

Also for the DMHD1000 you are right most are $40.. I paid less than $10, but it was not guaranteed to work, had no remote, manual or box.

using an antenna and being in my basement for testing it gets FM, not HD so well and not expected to in the basement
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

That's a big help. If I get at least those same 2 items at Amazon then that will get me the free shipping and their return policy is the best.
I might like to go with the EQ solution as well and I don't think I'll have the space problem that you may have to deal with. Not positive though. I'll wait and see how yours goes and what the results are. Mainly thinking about simplicity of hook up and sound quality.
Does your EQ have a volume control?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

The EQ I have does not have any volume.. it is an older kenwood

What year Corvette is this going in for you?

I have the space but I have to relocate the Power key I am starting to lean towards, this will also give me sub control and added functions of the EQ

the only issue I have with the Clarion EQS741 is the backlight color being blue, my dash is orange/red, I did find one with illumination color options and is an off brand and the one link I saw said it was the same as the Clarion, which by the pictures is the SAME, except for the illumination switch/Graphics, it is also about $10 less

if this was a regular C4, then the power key would obviously not be an issue and to me it is just a matter of moving some holes around.. LOL

The panel I am modifying is not an OEM ZR-1 piece anyway

Now to find an Android programmer willing to look at an app for me to add more presets... LOL
Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

nope.. EQ will not fit.. just checked, there is some inner structure I did not realize was the way it is.. if that EQ had a remote face it would have been perfect for me

I guess I will stick with the volume/level control
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Bummer on the EQ space issue. Sorry to hear that.
Possibly on the side of the console, under the dash or in the console??
Really a shame not to be able to use it. Maybe get a newer one, as you stated, with the remote.
My system is going into my '04. Folks seem to be able to cram a lot of equipment into those dashes when they want to, so, I don't think space is going to me a problem for me. The original radio opening is 1.5 din so I need to convert that to 2 din for the tablet. Already bought a spare center console to do all the work on before installing in the car.
I'm going to need a bit of help when I go to root the tablet and install the custom rom and such. Looks like you've got that under control so I may be nagging you quite a bit for input/guidance.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Bummer on the EQ space issue. Sorry to hear that.
Possibly on the side of the console, under the dash or in the console??
Really a shame not to be able to use it. Maybe get a newer one, as you stated, with the remote.
My system is going into my '04. Folks seem to be able to cram a lot of equipment into those dashes when they want to, so, I don't think space is going to me a problem for me. The original radio opening is 1.5 din so I need to convert that to 2 din for the tablet. Already bought a spare center console to do all the work on before installing in the car.
I'm going to need a bit of help when I go to root the tablet and install the custom rom and such. Looks like you've got that under control so I may be nagging you quite a bit for input/guidance.
Yeah I am bummed but not too upset.. it would have been nice for some of the frequencies and I still might look for something, I was really looking forward to the volume and fader as I was going to use the fader as a balance.

I might just roll my own volume/fader and then reuse the OEM ***** from an OEM Cassette radio I have.. and if I am going THAT far, I could make a bass **** too..

No problem on the Custom ROM thing, it was actually pretty easy.. once I found the right Recovery/Recovery version to use..

I hacked a spare plate to see if it would fit, then did it different on the actual one, I did however buy another spare.. just in case

I also need to think of a nice way to access the power switch of the tablet (just in case).. not sure what I will do for that yet
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Another thought I had was to find a way to incorporate my old Nakamichi CD400 to the set-up, mainly for the Volume and Treble/Mid/Bass adjustments (the Nak has an Aux input)

However, while I possibly could make a cable fromm the faceplate to the deck and bury the deck somewhere (Cd doesn't work at times) getting the faceplate incorporated and looking good would be the tough part
Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

There are a lot of challenges to getting all of this stuff to fit in the space, look decent and function properly. Sometimes I find that to be a pain, but, sometimes I find it to be a fun challenge....mostly the latter. The true saving grace is that if you look hard enough there is usually someone, or several someones, that have had the same problem and have figured out a decent, sometimes fantastic, solution!! America.....what a country!!!
Anyway, you're one of those folks with some of the solutions at the moment. I'm mostly going to piggyback on what you've done and monitor your progress. Thank you!!
By the way, great idea using stock ***** to create your own controls and maintain a factory look. Very nice!!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright Jeff, I found your other thread.

I got the Nexus 7 (2012) all rooted and ROMed. Zmeister - figuring the ROM and root was the worst of it. I am an iPhone guy so it was quite confusing. After I finally realized the I had to downgrade to Android 4.2.x from 4.4.2 it all fell together. I could not find any clear cut directions anywhere. It took me a couple of days.

It connects to ALDLdroid. I have the OTG y-cable and tested it with a 64 GB thumb drive with my itunes folder copied onto it. Started receiving my parts (4 channel amp, 15 amp DC-DC power supply, 1/2 din EQ with volume control and sub control, etc). I'm not really worried about radio - I shaved the antenna when I painted the Vette .
I have an 86 so my dash is way different. I am already using the VetteAid analog dash with extra gauges where the English/Metric switches used to be. I think I am just going to completely re-layout the center dash. My AC is long gone so I don't need that anymore either.
We shall see.
The power button does concern me - I think I will solder on an extension and put a button somewhere out of the way.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by cgantner5150
The power button does concern me - I think I will solder on an extension and put a button somewhere out of the way.
You know I never thought of just hiding the buttons with easy access.. maybe I will do that..

here is a good pic of where to solder them:
http://pccar.ru/showpost.php?p=250252&postcount=564
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Nice to have someone else chime in on this thread. It was starting to look like a 2 man show!
And someone in Metairie no less!! I lived in the New Orleans area for most of my life, including many years in Metairie and Kenner.
According to the tracking update looks like my tablet will arrive on Monday. Was hoping I'd have it for the weekend so I could start with the rooting and roming fun. Sort of looking forward to that, sort of not.
I too will be looking for a convenient way to turn the table on and off, but, hoping not to have to hack in a wire anything to it. Hoping to be able to hook up something like an old choke cable that I can pull or push on to actuate the button or, if I really get fancy, maybe a small button operated solenoid that will hit the power switch for me.
You guys are both ahead of me so please post info and pics as often as you like!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I think the best bet will be connecting to the unit itself.. with a button (for me) there was a guy that did that and hid the buttons, I may do the same, as they will not be used daily..

Also for the Volume control, I have had no luck finding an Dual Audio Taper pot with a 1/8" shaft.. then to find a second dual linear pot with the same shaft.. if I could get schematics for the Delco radio I might be able to use that one PC board.. need to search for that now
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

I have probably 5-7 '84-'88 AC Delco radios around the house from my Fiero days. 1 or 2 of them are the all push button model. If it turns out that those controls might work for you let me know.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Thanks I will

I have a couple 90-93 models.. I have taken one apart and found it is more then just the Potentiometer and is active, which would be nice, what I need to find are the schematics.. I know the headunit goes to the CDM then speakers.. I think the CDM handles the antenna control and switching from radio to CD/Cassette, I found a partial schematic that shows audio out from the headunit for CD and cassette.

If I can use the volume board from the OEM radio that would be cool cause it then offers treble and bass as well as fader controls. but I think that is more then likely handled in the CDM, which means my USB DAC would have to go through the CDM Preamp. and if that is the case, then I would not need the Line driver or the Volume control, the OEM pieces could handle that, something for me to consider..

(doing this would give me Speed Control Volume again as well), just need to see the schematics and find out how to latch the OEM into Casette mode (since that is what I am taking apart)

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4