Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XM Radio module

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Y2K C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XM Radio module

I have a 2010 GS Vert w/XM/Nav/Onstar. Battery went dead from lack of use (3 weeks). Recharged battery expected to lose memory and radio presets which has happened in the past, but this time I lost the complete XM radio. All I get is Ch1 & Ch2.
XM did refresh etc, etc, tried new programing etc, but radio does not receive signals.
One dealer said $209 for a "module" plus plus plus, another said $330 for a receiver, plus plus plus. If I knew where the module/receiver was I could remove it and take it to the dealer and be sure I got the right thing. Since AM, FM, CD and Nav all work, do I really need the 'receiver', or is the 'module' to blame?
I can use a wrench and a screwdriver and understand the concept of "righty tighty, lefty loosey", but a trained mechanic I'm not.
Has anyone else had this problem? Am I on the right track for a repair. Help!

Last edited by Y2K C5; 07-15-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

In a Vert the XM Tuner Module is located underneath the waterfall between the seats.

3 T-15 Torx screws and a 2 pins holds it on. You have to partially open the top/tonneau to access the pins.

Un-plugging and reconnecting the harness may re-set/restore the function.

A replacement SIRIUS Tuner Module costs less than $100. Common DIY upgrade.

You could also try disconnecting the battery again, but you might want to have the battery tested. The car does strange things when the battery begins to fail.

And buy yourself a Battery Tender, unfortunately this is not an option.

You may also want to post on your Regional Forum for some local service options.

Here's a thread with some good pics of the Tuner/access in a Vert.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...w-sir-gm1.html

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 07-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Y2K C5
Burning Brakes

THANK YOU! I'll give your suggestions a try.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you're getting channel 1 it may not be the XM box. Look up the serial number (instructions should be in owners manual for how to see it on radio) and make sure XM has the right number in their computer.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Y2K C5
Burning Brakes

OK, all else failed so I bought a new (used) reciever from a reputable Vette parts dealer. Installed same and got a message on the radio that the reciever is "locked". Calls to XM tell me that is a theft prevention thing and to go to the dealer to have this reset.
I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN THE DEALER!
Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

That sounds right.

Just like the radio is married to the car's VIN when it gets installed, the XM box is married to the radio.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Y2K C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz
That sounds right.

Just like the radio is married to the car's VIN when it gets installed, the XM box is married to the radio.
Is this fixable?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes-

Dealer has to "talk" to the car to activate any new radio/etc., although my SIRIUS upgrade from a properly functioning XM tuner was just plug-and-play with a call to SIRIUS to open/activate an account.

The Dealer may not know how to do it and will have call GM for the correct sequence of operations using their Scan Tool.

It's not really difficult, but if the Tech has never done it before, he will need to be instructed.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 07-22-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I know dealers can marry any new radio to the car with a tech2, but I seem to recall an issue with them possibly not being able to change a used XM box to a new-to-it radio. That's just from what I think I read on this forum, I don't have any personal experience with swapping oem XM boxes except for installing the SIR-GM1 in my '07.

I know I still have the SIR-GM1 around here somewhere, I just made space in my guest room for an actual guest so it's hiding at the moment. I'll send it to you for pretty cheap if you want to swap over to Sirius. The sirius box will work in any C6 with a radio that's already wired for XM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Y2K C5
Burning Brakes

OK, here's where I am now: The dealer said no way to changing the setting on the new (used) receiver. I had the tech call Chevy with the same response. I then called XM "Dealer Support" and put the tech on the phone. Nothing!
The dealer cannot pair the XM to the car. I had to purchase a new one and they take the old one as a core, send it back, clear all memory and resell it as new again.
Word to the wise: Don't buy a used receiver! Go to the parts dept, order a new one and install it yourself!

Get notified of new replies

To XM Radio module

Quick Reply: XM Radio module