Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
lotecredneck
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Question about stereo install

I have read countless threads concerning different installs and have a few questions for the knowledgeable parties on a C6 install.

I have a 2008 non-Bose system and would like to install a nice nav HU and run the speakers off of the existing amplifier. I have read that I will need a Metra 95-3304 faceplate, and 72-4568 speaker adapters as well as the PAC OS-2C wiring adapter to retain OnStar and all of the chimes. The car is equipped with OnStar, but is not being used. I am partial to Pioneer products, but not married to them!

1) Can the existing XM Radio receiver be retained? Is it located in the rear hatch area? If not where is the best location to mount either a XM or Sirius receiver? I saw an antennae adapter in a thread that I can no longer find that allows the stock XM ant to be used on an aftermarket receiver. Any idea where to obtain it?

2) I don't really want to install a separate amplifier, but if it becomes necessary, where can it be mounted without taking up cargo space? I may ultimately install an 8" sub that utilizes the top of the storage bin, but still allows items to be stored in the bin. (I think I saw them on Vettenuts site)

3) Are the front door speakers run on 1 channel for each side with a crossover built in to the amp or are they wired in series/parallel?

My goal is to have a decent fairly punchy sound, bluetooth connectivity for Slacker/Pandora and XM/Sirius Radio. I am looking at even trying Motion X GPS and just getting an APP Radio. It sounds good, but unsure if it will really work in rural areas with no cell coverage. Some claim it's fine and others not so sure. It supposedly downloads the maps to your phone and then needs to connect to cell coverage only occasionally.

Thanks for any help............

Tony
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Non-bose speakers aren't anything special, just plain old paper cone POS, the door 'sub' is just a normal speaker also.

OEM amp is also not worth mentioning, but it does separate frequencies for the door speakers and supply a separate signal to each. I've never measured a non-bose 'sub' speaker before, but I believe they're 4ohm just like the rest are.

If you're already planning on the cubby sub, best bang-for-buck would be to get a bridgeable 4-channel amp and run 1/2 to new components in front and bridge 3/4 to the sub. Not counting the HU you could get mid-level parts for under $500.

If you want the install to be a touch easier you can dump onstar for good and just use C2R-GM24. An antenna adapter is also needed.

Some good choices HERE for the HU and adapters.

OEM XM module is useless with any aftermarket radio. To reuse antenna all you have to do is pull apart the plastic plug and it will fit onto the new receiver, but you'll probably need a standard extention cable to get it to the box (antenna plug is on drivers rear wheel hump unless you have a vert, in vert it's under waterfall).

Not much room behind radio for new XM box, I like hanging it from cable runs above passengers feet (pull down plastic piece with light mounted on it and look up).
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
lotecredneck
Racer

Markcz,
If I didn't want to install an amp at this time, would I be better off bypassing the factory amp somehow and running the door speakers from the new HU? I prefer to not have an amp visible in the hatch area of the car. I am not sure if I will ever install a sub in the rear. I wanted to possibly run a set of 6x9's in the place of the door sub for mid/bass and a set of 3.5's above for the mids and highs and a set of 5.25's in the rear. Then if I wasn't satisfied, possibly add a sub in the rear. I ran a similar setup in a FJ Cruiser and the results were quite good.

Thanks for your help,

Tony
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't think it matters what speaker you use in place of the oem 'sub', the stock amp just doesn't put out enough power to get any real bass out of it.

Your best non-aftermarket-amp solution might just be to use the new HU internal amp to a coax 3-way 6x9" speaker. That may push you into looking at amp output specs when you're shopping for the HU.

It may not work since you can't adjust the oem amp gain, but to get it a bit louder you could try to run one of the stock front speaker pairs off the oem amp and another new set from HU internal amp. But odds are that would sound like crap.

If you don't use oem amp just run new wires direct to speakers, C6 is one of the easiest cars ever to run speaker wire in.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is what I did with my 08 non Bose OnStar system. I replaced the HU with a Pioneer AVIC 120 and love it, also replaced all the speakers with upgraded speakers from Double D Mods. I use a one of the new smaller framed Kenwood amps also for Dennis at Double D Mods. I believe I have the 400 model but can look if needed. It is very small and I have it behind the passenger's seat fits nice it's just laying behind the carpet and I have no issues. I put the GPS and XM att on the vents right about the HU also easy and no problems. I since have removed XM as I did not use it, with Pandora and my Iphone I never did use XM much.
Feel free to ask any questions and I have a couple threads out there with pictures. I purchased all my equipment from Dennis at Double D Mods and it was great price and the best service before and after the sale. I called Dennis lots of times during the install and he was a great help.
I did the dynomat also but never did put is a sub and I like the way it sounds.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
lotecredneck
Racer

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Here is what I did with my 08 non Bose OnStar system. I replaced the HU with a Pioneer AVIC 120 and love it, also replaced all the speakers with upgraded speakers from Double D Mods. I use a one of the new smaller framed Kenwood amps also for Dennis at Double D Mods. I believe I have the 400 model but can look if needed. It is very small and I have it behind the passenger's seat fits nice it's just laying behind the carpet and I have no issues. I put the GPS and XM att on the vents right about the HU also easy and no problems. I since have removed XM as I did not use it, with Pandora and my Iphone I never did use XM much.
Feel free to ask any questions and I have a couple threads out there with pictures. I purchased all my equipment from Dennis at Double D Mods and it was great price and the best service before and after the sale. I called Dennis lots of times during the install and he was a great help.
I did the dynomat also but never did put is a sub and I like the way it sounds.
Thanks for the response! Did you replace the 8" door woofer or just the 3.5" and 5.25" speakers? Also, where did you mount the XM radio module?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lotecredneck
Thanks for the response! Did you replace the 8" door woofer or just the 3.5" and 5.25" speakers? Also, where did you mount the XM radio module?

Thanks,

Tony
sorry it's taken a while. I did replace all the speakers and just use the center dash speaker for instant door chimes etc. I placed the XM receiver behind the passengers seat. pulled up the carpet and just stood it up worked good for the two years I used it no problems at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about stereo install

Quick Reply: Question about stereo install