Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Factory Alarm or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 AM
justicepool
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Alarm or aftermarket?

I am preparing to install an upgraded stereo system in my C5 Corvette and was thinking about putting an aftermarket alarm in to help protect the investment. In the past I have used autopage because of the paging feature.

Anyone care to share their experience with an aftermarket alarm? Or is the factory one good enough?

Thank you,

John
Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM
justicepool
Intermediate

*crickets chirping*

Anyone
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by justicepool
In the past I have used autopage...
You already know more about aftermarket alarms than most of us

If a pro wants to steal a vette they'll drag it onto a flatbed and be gone in under 5 minutes. IMO there's nothing anyone can do to prevent that.

Once stolen your best chance at recovery is some type of GPS locator, but any thief with a clue will disable the electronics within minutes of stealing the car, so you'd need one with a battery backup that will last long enough to find the car.

There are DIY's posted on this forum on how to add proximity sensors to the factory alarm. They can help scare away punks looking for a thrill, but won't even slow down a pro.

You can wire in a kill switch (or new alarm) to an existing safety/theft feature so someone who has your keys won't even be able to start the car if they don't know where the switch is, but again a pro won't even notice it's there.

If a new alarm would make you feel more comfortable with an expensive radio installed, go for it, but if someone who knows what they're doing decides they want your car it's gone
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
justicepool
Intermediate

My car has LoJack, and the best feature of autopage is to let you know the alarm has been triggered.

Thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Alarm or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm or aftermarket?