Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

iPhone HotSpot Wifi on a Kenwood Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default iPhone HotSpot Wifi on a Kenwood Nav unit

I recently purchased the Kenwood DNN990HD. I haven't had any success getting the Kenwood to log onto my iPhone 5 HotSpot. I can sit in my car with my iPhone 5 acting as a HotSpot hub. My iPad has no problem scanning for the the iPhone 5 HotSpot, but my Kenwood unit can't find it. You do have the option of entering the iPhone 5 manually into the Kenwood deck, but then it's just treated as a HotSpot that it can't find.

Can anyone confirm if this actually works on their unit?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

It turns out that I have to toggle (turn off then back on) my iPhone HotSpot every time I want to create a connection. I'm not sure if this is a flaw with Apple or Kenwood. My iPad and my Dell laptop never has a problem scanning and connecting to my iPhone HotSpot. However, the Kenwood doesn't have a problem automatically connecting to my home wifi. I guess this would be fine if I only wanted to drive circles around my house. For now, I guess I'll have to use the "toggling" method.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm deciding what head unit to use and I looked at that Kenwood. Do you like it? Is it easy to use?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
gofish
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Kenwood DNN 770, and I cannot get my iphone 4 hotspot to connect.
The phone's bluetooth connects just fine. I have tried toggling the hotspot on and off, but still no luck. The Kenwood connects to my home network just fine.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 PM
gofish
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, the standard name assigned to a i phone such as "my name's iphone" messes with the Kenwood hotspot connection.
I found that if you get rid of the apostrophe by renaming your phone such as "my name iphone" it works just fine...
just do a search on google to figure out how to rename your phone.
The wifi connection on the new Kenwood units opens up all kinds of possibilities....pretty cool.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by gofish
Apparently, the standard name assigned to a i phone such as "my name's iphone" messes with the Kenwood hotspot connection.
I found that if you get rid of the apostrophe by renaming your phone such as "my name iphone" it works just fine...
just do a search on google to figure out how to rename your phone.
The wifi connection on the new Kenwood units opens up all kinds of possibilities....pretty cool.
Interesting that you would say that. When I was still at the point where I had never gotten a connection, I actually did try removing the apostrophe...on a hunch. It still didn't work, so I figured it didn't matter. It was only when I turned off my iPhone HotSpot...then turned it back on....that I got it to connect. If what you're saying is true, then I suspect it was a combination of both steps. I haven't been able to get the head unit to automatically connect. Does your connect automatically?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by vetten76
I'm deciding what head unit to use and I looked at that Kenwood. Do you like it? Is it easy to use?
I don't know if I'd say it's easy to use...mostly because there are soooo many features that I haven't got around to learning yet. I'll say the navigation functionality is MUCH easier to use. I'd have to say that I like the unit so far.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 PM
slingct3lt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with the dnn770hd. Removed the ' on the device name and i was able to connect. main problem is how do i get it to automatically connect when i get in the car?

Get notified of new replies

To iPhone HotSpot Wifi on a Kenwood Nav unit

Quick Reply: iPhone HotSpot Wifi on a Kenwood Nav unit