Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Sound reduction + Kenwood 9990

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM
patworks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Sound reduction + Kenwood 9990

Re-engineering the sound in “Jake” my C6 Vette, Report

Some cars are noisy; some aren’t. Stock Luxury automobiles are delivered with high-quality noise attenuation systems, OEM, from-the-factory. Our Corvettes have neither vibration nor noise dampers. This is logical because for Vette applications, GM favors lowering weight and cutting costs over reducing road noise. Undeniably, vibration dampers and sound deadening materials are pricey, add weight, and increase labor costs. On the other hand, they bestow a quieter C6 and improve its capability to host a music system.
We found our car too noisy for long trips so I took it down to the bare panels and installed sound deadening. Layered pads now line the line floor pans, engine compartment, hood, doors, firewalls , and body panels , quarter panels and cargo area. The bottom layer is 3Ms Sound Deadening Pad (Amazon). The 3M Sound Deadening Pads suppress noise, vibration, and control resonance in panels. An over layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl is a noise barrier. (Corvette Quiet Cruise Sound Deadener Kit from mamotorwrorks.com) . To finish, I added a layer of closed cell foam/foil over the console - transmission area as a heat shield. (Duct insulation from Home Depot).

At the same time I totally replaced both the factory C6 Corvette factory-Premium Voice, radio ‘head unit’, (AM/FM/CD/XM/NAV) and the seven-speaker Bose audio system, along with the factory Navigation System, the 3 Bose Amplifiers, and wiring. I love MUSIC so I installed a Custom Kenwood 9990 system and it sounds awesome. The head Unit, 9990 Kenwood System includes: Garmin GPS Navigation System; Hands-Free - Bluetooth hands-free phone; A2DP Music Streaming - wireless music; Digital HD; iPhone and iPod connections; jacks to connect USB thumb drives and external hard disk drives; Pandora ; SiriusXM; rear View Camera; Triple 2.0V Pre-outs; and control on steering wheel.

I upgraded to different amplification using a primary amplifier and 4 channel secondary amplifiers paired with a Kenwood KAC-8405 60Wx4 Car Amplifier. You need the power for clarity to adjust the acoustic environment of the car. I have control over time alignment, crossovers and parametric EQ's. These Amps all feed Seven-each (7) automotive use Kicker speakers. [And, Yes, replacing the center-windshield speaker helped a lot]

PRO: For me, next to the “Jake” paint, it was the best mod I've done to the car. With my blue-tooth hearing aids I can hear loud, crisp, clean, and clear even with the top off and exhaust + road noise wailing. It sound makes me happy. The sound deadening . The system sound! Jan agrees: crisp highs, solid Mids and rich lows. Kenwood’s 9990 lush feature set. The sound reduction attenuation button. Garmin GPS. Bluetooth everything; connectivity; system tune-ability. Back up camera. Transmissions hump no longer a hotplate. Increased satisfaction.

CON: Easy? Not easy for me. Install took me 4-days. Cost about $4k; Learning curve for Kenwood’s extensive technology set. System tune-ability means tune ‘n teak. Technology Befuddlement. Garmin doesn’t “talk” to heads-up.”

------------------
TOOLS: Door-panel popper tool, nylon pry-bars, door-panel replacement pins, adhesives & tapes, speaker wire connectors, zip-lock bags and zip-ties.
PARTS LIST:
• Kenwood DNX9990HD Navigation Receiver, Kenwood KAC-8405 60W x 4 Car Amplifier
• Kicker 10CVT654 6.75" 4-Ohm Component Subwoofer
• Kicker 11KS525 5-1/4" Coaxial Speakers, Kicker 11KS35 3.5" Coaxial Speakers
• SiriusXM SXV200V1 Satellite Radio Tuner
• Metra ASWC Auto Sensing Steering Wheel Cntrl Intrfc
• GM VT-GMOS-04 GM Class II Data bus Interface, Kenwood KCA-IP202 iPod Cable, GM Antenna Adapter
• Boyo VTL402C Back Up Camera, EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord
• Monster Cable XP 50 foot MiniS with clear jacket, EFX 17-ft. Stereo RCA Patch Cable
Ref.:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...m-upgrade.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...p-by-step.html
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I did basically the same thing myself. I also stripped everything out and did 3 layers. I did it all myself and it was quite a job but it was worth it.

Car feels more solid and the stereo sound is great.

Congrats on a great mod to enhance your driving experience.

And doesn't it feel good to have done it yourself.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 AM
patworks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good words. Thanx! Agree, great mod to enhance driving much. Did it. Feel good. Albeit tired and sore for my pre-Corvette old-guy self.
I get happy + pleased by just going into the garage and seeing C6 'Jake'. Nice car. Way.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I forgot to say that I installed a Kenwood DNX9140 with a Kenwood eXcelon XR-5S amp and Focal K2 Power 165KR speakers.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Kenwood 9990 upgrade package from Dennis to replace the pathetic GM OEM nav/radio. Easy install but decided to upgrade the factory insulation with Dynamat. Double layered the tunnel to get rid of the heat.

Big difference in the cabin noise.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Sound reduction + Kenwood 9990

Quick Reply: C6 Sound reduction + Kenwood 9990