Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HUMount Illumination Dimmer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default HUMount Illumination Dimmer?

Not sure why but the LED HUMount Red Corvette Script is extremely bright and overpowering?

I have it hooked up to the HVAC Ilummination Dimmer hot lead, but when it is on full power it overpowers all, and if using the dash dimmer to get it to acceptable matching levels for the rest of the guages, then the rest of the dash/ gauges are almost off non visible.

do I need a inline dimmer, if so has anyone else experienced this and what dimmer switch did you use, any preferences ?

I found this , any one using it ?
[URL="http://www.oznium.com/inline-led-controller"URL]

All help appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by BACNBLK; 12-29-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

For $10 that thing looks pretty good. Set it where you're happy and tuck it into the dash.

You could just put a resistor on the + wire in series. Only problem is you need to take current measurement on LED and calculate what ohm resistor to get. I can help with calculations if you need it.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Thans Mark, I was thinking an inline resister would work, just didn't know which one?

I will need it to be half as Bright as is now, it is the Mini Red LED they called it.

Let me know how I can test it or what to check?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Put a meter on current/amps and attach the leads in series with the LED red wire. Read and record the mA from the meter. Also reord the cars voltage for the same state (running/accessory).

Voltage (E) = Current (I) * Resistance (R)

Determine the resistance of the LED using the two numbers you know.

Total voltage drop for a circuit is equal to system voltage. Voltage drop across each load in a series circuit is proportional to the resistance of each load in the circuit. The resistance of each load is constant, so the LED's will always be at the resistance that you first calculate (voltage and current can change at each load). You can't really put meter leads across LED with it set to resistance, it doesn't quite work right.

If system is at 13v, I would guess 10v on LED would drop brightness enough but you may want to save a trip and get resistor for 8v also. Or just buy a bunch of small ones, or an adjustable pot, depends what your local Radio Shack has in stock.

For example:
If LED has measured 100 mA current at 13v... 13=.1*R so R(led)=130ohms (just an example, measure it to see what actual current is).

If you want the voltage at the LED's to be 10v you need a resistor that will drop voltage 3v before the LED. Since you know the 3v and 10v, and you now know R(led), you can figure out what ohm resistor to buy for the 3v drop.

R(resistor) / R(LED) = V (resistor) / V (LED) ..so.. R(r)/130ohm = 3v/10v ..so.. R(resistor) = 39ohms FOR THIS EXAMPLE

Measure current and voltage on LED and do the math
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Ouch, I think you made my brain snap:-/

I will try to hook my thingamig to the amperagemagig, and see what I get :-)

Maybe a dimmer might be best :-)

Get notified of new replies

To HUMount Illumination Dimmer?

Quick Reply: HUMount Illumination Dimmer?