Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding AUX in to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Adding AUX in to factory radio

In the FAQ there are a couple methods of doing this.... I did something a little different but along the same lines.

I found an article that showed how to install a 5-pin 1/8" female audio jack. Basically the 5 pin jack intercepts the output from the rear mounted CD changer and replaces it with the output from your AUX device, such as a smartphone.

Article here: Specifically POST NUMBER 8 - even the wire colors are correct!
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165670

Follow the instructions in post #8. There is no need to even open up the radio...

The jack can be bought at Radio Shack for under $3. There are 4 wires and a ground. A USB extension cable has 4 wires and a ground. Perfect. Cut the USB extension cable in half, plug it into itself and you now have a place to disconnect your extension.

Solder the jack on one end, solder the other end into the harness behind the radio. You'll need to cut two wires at the radio connector, and strip a piece of insulation away on a 3rd. Nothing major. A little solder and tape and it's all set.

I mounted the jack in the ashtray compartment under the radio just above the cigarette lighter. The plastic is too thick for the nut to go on, so I drilled for a snug fit and pushed it in hard with a dab of superglue on it. It's really in there. I drilled a second hole in a obscure place on the back side for a zip tie to secure the wire and protect the delicate solder points from undue force.

Now all that's left is plug in the improvised USB plug and test. Turn on the radio and select the CD changer. Let a song start and plug in your AUX. As soon as the plug inserts into the jack the audio should switch to the AUX device.

It's completely stealth, and there is no need to modify the radio. You DO need to have the optional CD changer for it to work, though.

Last edited by TraceZ; 09-15-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice, just wish I was better at soldering
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
LBCBEN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing and added Bluetooth device to it i made the aux come all the way down to my armrest right by the cig lighter. i was getting some sound issued you could hear the alternator winding. but I fixed it by buying a ground loop isolator form PAC audio witch eliminated the sound by like 95% you can some times hear it but not really when you had the volume up.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

Originally Posted by LBCBEN
I did the same thing and added Bluetooth device to it i made the aux come all the way down to my armrest right by the cig lighter. i was getting some sound issued you could hear the alternator winding. but I fixed it by buying a ground loop isolator form PAC audio witch eliminated the sound by like 95% you can some times hear it but not really when you had the volume up.
this work with the bose system in a 1999 c5?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 PM
LBCBEN
Advanced

Default Should

Originally Posted by captaingeek
this work with the bose system in a 1999 c5?
My car is 2003 if they all have the same Delco stereo it should work. i went to radio shack and bought some these adapters and drilled a hole by the 12 volt plug and made it look nice.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tent=CT2032231
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tent=CT2032231

Get notified of new replies

To Adding AUX in to factory radio

Quick Reply: Adding AUX in to factory radio