Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY OnStar Removal from 2012 GS w/manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Default DIY OnStar Removal from 2012 GS w/manual tranny

After installing my aftermarket amp/speaker setup last weekend I noticed that I lost the spoken voice portion of my Nav since I used the oem Nav rear signals to my doors and front signal to the sub. I figured that this would be a good time to disable OnStar, and discovered that it also disables the oem BlueTooth, but I'm betting that I wouldn't be able to hear the other end of the call anyway.

To disable onstar, pull the 10a fuse and locate the control box. In many earlier C6 it's in the passenger side rear tub under the carpet. In ZO6 it was mounted under the passenger seat. In my 2012 GS with manual transmission it is located under the dash, up above the passengers feet. AFAIK, those are the only three places it has been located so far.

If it's located in the passenger footwell, fold down the carpet to get at the fuse box, then pull down the plastic cover with the light mounted on it. There are two friction pins in the very front edge that simply pull straight down. There is a plastic spike-like pin at the rear of the piece that simply enters a hole when you want to replace it (insert tab A into slot B x3).

The untouched control box:

Pull out all of the plugs and antennas EXCEPT for the one with the tan and tan/black wires in it. In my car that was the only black plug. I didn't try it, but I've read that the car WILL NOT START if you remove the black plug and do not jumper the wires together. Just to make it easier to get at the upper plugs I temporarily removed the black plug. I'm guessing that the tan antenna plug with the circuit board attached to it is the BT receiver.

To prevent any rattles, I covered the unplugged connectors in a bit of foam:

To remove the window mounted antenna, start by pushing the entire box towards the passenger window:

Once the box is loose from the holder you can pull the wire down from the headliner until you see the plug:

Disconnect the antenna and wedge the plug back in to the headliner.

To remove the bracket use some type of soft prybar or trim removal tool. The bracket is held to the window with a thick rubber-cement resembling glue that will come off with constant pressure:

The removed antenna and bracket:

The glue that remains on the window comes off easily by rubbing it with your fingers:

Once I had all of the big glue chunks off I used some alcohol pads to clean the window. I can't even tell something was there.

Removal was done on 6/4. OnStar called my house on 6/15, but they didn't leave a message. I think they're getting suspicious

Last edited by markcz; 06-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

interesting. .....
Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

why did you pull the fuse and other wires?when you removed the black box and unplugged it ,wasn"t that enough?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Pulling the fuse is probably all that you need to do to disable it.

I left my box installed with the data line plug still connected so I didn't have to splice the line together.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

do you know if you pull the fuse if the nav and Bluetooth phone will still work?it would be nice to just unplug the ugly black box and remove it from the windshield and pull the onstar fuse.

Last edited by lordofwar; 06-26-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you pull fuse I'm pretty sure BT is gone.

If you just want to disable onstar and keep everything else functional try disconnecting the onstar antenna at the box, that may work. It's the purple plug on the round fitting in my pics.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Outlaw2013
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thread. I now have Gonestar/Nonstar thanks to this thread.

Anyone know if the auto dim NON-Onstar mirror from 2005-2007 will work with the 2008-2013 plug?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY OnStar Removal from 2012 GS w/manual tranny

Quick Reply: DIY OnStar Removal from 2012 GS w/manual tranny