Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Pioneer double din decks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Pioneer double din decks

Hey--

So I've been researching these decks for about 6 months (kenwood and pioneer), and it kind of seems through user reviews like nobody likes the Kenwoods really and the pioneer nav decks are marginal. However, everyone seems to love the 8400, 4400, etc line of dvd decks. My question is, does anyone here have any experience with these at all? I know that they lack Nav but based on the huge cost savings I can live with that. Trying to determine whether something like the 8400 is going to be that much better than my current factory Nav + pal setup.

I actually tried the new app radio 2 in the store, that actually seemed pretty sweet. The screen was better than anything else I saw at best buy, it was amazing. What was even more surprising about it was that it's screen was way better than the high end 930bt unit there.

Any feedback on the 8400/4400/3400 etc line would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why you think no one likes the Kenwood decks? Last years batch had some delay issues, but updated firmware has taken care of most of those issues. And the Nav is great. iPod integration is good, but Many prefer the Pioneer integration.

I have older Kenwoods (generation before last), and I think they're great.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I can speak to this. I researched three Double Din, Bluetooth, non NAV units - the Kenwood, the Sony and Pioneer 2400 BT - for my son's Nissan.

For me, Bluetooth was key because it eliminates iPod connectivity problems and gives you hands free cell phone calling, which I wanted for my kid. All were between $300 and $400. The shops I looked at did not carry JVC (which is apparently made by Kenwood.).

The Pioneer App radio sounds great until you research it and find how many people returned theirs. You will find people that like it, but you will just as many who didn't.

I finally narrowed the two choices down to the Sony and Pioneer. Online reviewers didn't seem to like the Kenwoods - they complained they were buggy and slow - but people swear by them on here. There was only one installer in the area who offered the Kenwood and he wasn't willing to deal very much. None of them like for you to buy the unit elsewhere and bring it to them to install.

When I narrowed it down to the Sony and Pioneer, I actually liked the Sony better - it sounded better and had better graphics resolution on the screen. It also had a volume **** as opposed to the touch screen. This was kinda interesting because I'm not sure Sony car stereos have as good a reputation as the Pioneer or the Kenwood.

But my son wanted the Pioneer because, well, it's a Pioneer and it's cool. Plus, there were very few negative reviews about Pioneer and everyone said really good things about their bluetooth (although all the bluetooth technology across the brands seems very similar).

So we pulled the trigger on the Pioneer 2400BT. The day we went for the install, they didn't have it and he upgraded us to the 3400 at no extra charge. The only diff was the 3400 has HD Radio potential, whereas the 2400 doesn't.

Anyway, that is my experience. Will post a pix. Install went fairly well. The system sounds great and we connected to stock speakers with no after-market stuff. It's a beautiful looking deck. If I remember correctly, I really couldn't find a negative thing online about the 1400, the 2400, the 3400, etc.

Oh, and all three had front USB connectivity.

Last edited by tampatopless; 05-05-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

This is the 3400. I had a deal to buy the 2400 at about $349. You can get it online for about $299 (make sure it is not refurbished). It seems like the 3400 was about $399 as was the Sony. Can't remember the Kenwood. These are all double din, non NAV units with bluetooth, DVD, and front USB.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

IMO, if money isn't THE factor in your decision, go with Kenwood or Pioneer. I like the Kenwoods for single din units, but Pioneer for double dins.

A good way I've seen to describe the differences... Kenwood has great nav with good ipod interface, while Pioneer has good nav with great ipod controls. Everything else is pretty much a wash unless you must have a certain feature like front USB, HD radio, ability to control external relays.....
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

We offer
Kenwood
Sony
Pioneer
Clarion
Jensen
JVC
Alpha Nav
to name a few

I can tell you Kenwood out sells each and every brand we have for double dins and is most requested.

Pioneer 1400, 2400, 3400 ar enice but the screen is small
the 8400 is what I would go with as far a sa non NAV screen. The Mixtrax is really cool with this unit.
With a 599.99 retail on the 8400 I would myself hands down recommend the Kenwood DDX 719 over this unit. Speed is not an issue with the new Kenwoods. You have option to download both Motion X GPS and Garmin NAV apps with the iPhone. The price is alot cheaper too(sorry due to MAP price you will need message me on pricing)

Pioneer NAV is upgraded this year. They changed from a horrible Tele Atlas based to a better NAVTEQ. Its still not as good as KEnwood Garmin based NAV but it is an improvement this year.

Pioneer and Kenwood have A2DP streaming for iPhone and Android and Kenwood can stream Blackberry as well.
Kenwood I would give edge to in sound quality

Kenwood had 100.00 mail in rebates on the 6190, 6990 and 9990 currently and 50.00 mail in rebate on Sirius XM add on

XM is 95.99 for Pioneer
Sirius is 129.99
Sirius/XM for Kenwood is 69.99

Pioneer ipod cables are 39.99
Kenwood ipod cables are 29.99

The Sony has a very nice screen but thats about it. The rest of the unit is very slow and behind the times as far as user interface.
Alpine to me just is an option to stay away from. The user interface is very generic compared to Pioneer and Kenwood

Best bang for the buck as far as a NAV unit is the Alpha Nav. We have had really great reviews on this unit.
http://www.alpha-nav.com/products01.html

Bottom line is go to Best Buy and mess with them and see what you really like as far as all the features of the units.

Then call me for a better deal

Last edited by Double D Mods; 05-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
We offer
Kenwood
Sony
Pioneer
Clarion
Jensen
JVC
Alpha Nav
to name a few

I can tell you Kenwood out sells each and every brand we have for double dins and is most requested.

Pioneer 1400, 2400, 3400 ar enice but the screen is small
the 8400 is what I would go with as far a sa non NAV screen. The Mixtrax is really cool with this unit.
With a 599.99 retail on the 8400 I would myself hands down recommend the Kenwood DDX 719 over this unit. Speed is not an issue with the new Kenwoods. You have option to download both Motion X GPS and Garmin NAV apps with the iPhone. The price is alot cheaper too(sorry due to MAP price you will need message me on pricing)

Pioneer NAV is upgraded this year. They changed from a horrible Tele Atlas based to a better NAVTEQ. Its still not as good as KEnwood Garmin based NAV but it is an improvement this year.

Pioneer and Kenwood have A2DP streaming for iPhone and Android and Kenwood can stream Blackberry as well.
Kenwood I would give edge to in sound quality

Kenwood had 100.00 mail in rebates on the 6190, 6990 and 9990 currently and 50.00 mail in rebate on Sirius XM add on

XM is 95.99 for Pioneer
Sirius is 129.99
Sirius/XM for Kenwood is 69.99

Pioneer ipod cables are 39.99
Kenwood ipod cables are 29.99

The Sony has a very nice screen but thats about it. The rest of the unit is very slow and behind the times as far as user interface.
Alpine to me just is an option to stay away from. The user interface is very generic compared to Pioneer and Kenwood

Best bang for the buck as far as a NAV unit is the Alpha Nav. We have had really great reviews on this unit.
http://www.alpha-nav.com/products01.html

Bottom line is go to Best Buy and mess with them and see what you really like as far as all the features of the units.

Then call me for a better deal
For the 8400 vs the 719, what's the main reason you'd recommend the 719? Looking at the two, it appears as though the biggest differences are the 8400 has a detachable face, HD radio, and better iphone integration. Is it purely on a sound/price perspective? The mixmaster thing is no big deal to me at all. I will not be adding xm, sirius, or a nav app to either, already got a nuvi and will be streaming from my phone rather than satellite radio. Bluetooth isn't a big deal to me either, I average less than 100 minutes a month on my cell phone, lol. Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by taylor34
For the 8400 vs the 719, what's the main reason you'd recommend the 719? Looking at the two, it appears as though the biggest differences are the 8400 has a detachable face, HD radio, and better iphone integration. Is it purely on a sound/price perspective? The mixmaster thing is no big deal to me at all. I will not be adding xm, sirius, or a nav app to either, already got a nuvi and will be streaming from my phone rather than satellite radio. Bluetooth isn't a big deal to me either, I average less than 100 minutes a month on my cell phone, lol. Thanks
The 8400 is 599.99 the 719 is 200.00 less
this is the biggest reason everyone is going with the 719
I myself think th esq fromthe Kenwood is better than Pioneer.

as I say
I would got o Best Buy and mess around with them and see what you think for yourself

I shipped 4 8400 units out this week and 21 719 units
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Mikey Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so you're quoting 599.99, yet the pioneer is 650 on your website. so which is it? do I have to haggle for a radio seriously? I hate that crap, you start off high then oh ok i'll come down to so and so otherwise you're gonna sell it to me for 650. I think that's why internet sales from say amazon go so well, looking at a list now and see it for 530. I just want the best deal with out all the hassle
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

No, Mikey Z06, it's not exactly like that. I've bought speakers from this guy. He is not like Sonic or Crutchfield where it's this huge outfit and the prices are on the web with thousands of views every day.

For example, he sold me some speakers that listed for $99 on his website and then came on the forum and offered a package deal to forum members for the same set for $79. People are often getting this guy to design systems for them so that individual may get a reduced price on various pieces versus what may be advertised on his website.

It may be a case of what he has in stock and if he is trying to move inventory.

My problem is install. I would buy everything from this guy if I could but the quality shops around here DO NOT like installing stuff brought into the shop - for various and legitimate reasons - and I'm not gonna risk my Vette or $1,000 worth of equipment on a shade-tree guy. I do some car work myself but the interior never, ever works out for me. I am always breaking something, or something won't go back right and stuff that takes you a half-hour takes me three.

If you install yourself, this is the guy you wanna deal with.

Last edited by tampatopless; 05-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The 8400 is 599.99 the 719 is 200.00 less
this is the biggest reason everyone is going with the 719
I myself think th esq fromthe Kenwood is better than Pioneer.

as I say
I would got o Best Buy and mess around with them and see what you think for yourself

I shipped 4 8400 units out this week and 21 719 units
I'll have to find another Best Buy, mine only has last year's equipment other than the App Radio 2...it's car audio department is a disaster. $200 is a big difference, the detachable face is the only thing I'd have to decide on...after having cars broken into twice in the past, I'm leary about having an expensive deck in my car when I go on vacation (everyday use would be of no concern, live in a safe area). Maybe the Nebraska furniture mart in my area would have both of these, they usually are pretty up to date on stuff.

Two of the apps I probably would be using would be Pandora and Tunein, do you know if both of these work with both units?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Johns94Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally i hate Pioneer.. I dont know why everyone says bad stuff about Kenwood. I have had several of their receivers and have never had a bad one. Infact i liked their interface better than Alpine's. Im going with Clarion this time though. The NX702 is really nice i think. I just hope their nav is good. Because those Kenwoods use Garmin
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

One last thing:

If you go the Pioneer route, don't the buy the cable unless you plan on watching video from your iPod or iPhone. The USB to iPod cord that came with your iPhone or iPod works just fine.

There is a cable they try to sell you that goes from the iPhone or the iPod. It then splits into a Y and one fork plugs into the USB and the other fork plugs into the 3.5 hole. This thing is crazy expensive and you don't need it unless you are streaming videos or movies.

I can't tell you how many salesman insisted I absolutely had to have that damn cord until I pulled out my iPhone and cord and shoved it into the demo deck and played some tunes. They seem shocked - genuinely shocked, I tell you.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Johns94Z
Personally i hate Pioneer.. I dont know why everyone says bad stuff about Kenwood. I have had several of their receivers and have never had a bad one. Infact i liked their interface better than Alpine's. Im going with Clarion this time though. The NX702 is really nice i think. I just hope their nav is good. Because those Kenwoods use Garmin
From all the user reviews I read on last years equipment, people were really disappointed with all the screen input lag. I actually tried one of the high end Kenwood units about 6 months ago in Best Buy, the user reviews were right, the screen input lag was unbearable. Sounds like that problem is mostly resolved this year, I only saw one or two people comment on minor input lag this year (and they were both saying that it was way better than last year). When I was trying the Pioneer 930bt in best buy last week, I wasn't very impressed with it either...it was ok, but for the money I would expect it to be mind blowing. The app radio 2 was only product I saw that really impressed me, and it was 99% because of the killer screen it has relative to everything else I saw.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Mikey Z06
Ok so you're quoting 599.99, yet the pioneer is 650 on your website. so which is it? do I have to haggle for a radio seriously? I hate that crap, you start off high then oh ok i'll come down to so and so otherwise you're gonna sell it to me for 650. I think that's why internet sales from say amazon go so well, looking at a list now and see it for 530. I just want the best deal with out all the hassle

Its called MAP pricing
MAP pricing is what WE HAVE TO ADVERTISE FOR on website

I have said a million times
for best deals call me direct as I can not do things with pricing on website that is against the rules by the manufacturer or we will lose the product line and not be able to offer it

If you do not want a warranty by all means hit up Amazon and Ebay

Last edited by Double D Mods; 05-06-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tampatopless
No, Mikey Z06, it's not exactly like that. I've bought speakers from this guy. He is not like Sonic or Crutchfield where it's this huge outfit and the prices are on the web with thousands of views every day.

For example, he sold me some speakers that listed for $99 on his website and then came on the forum and offered a package deal to forum members for the same set for $79. People are often getting this guy to design systems for them so that individual may get a reduced price on various pieces versus what may be advertised on his website.

It may be a case of what he has in stock and if he is trying to move inventory.

My problem is install. I would buy everything from this guy if I could but the quality shops around here DO NOT like installing stuff brought into the shop - for various and legitimate reasons - and I'm not gonna risk my Vette or $1,000 worth of equipment on a shade-tree guy. I do some car work myself but the interior never, ever works out for me. I am always breaking something, or something won't go back right and stuff that takes you a half-hour takes me three.

If you install yourself, this is the guy you wanna deal with.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'll have to find another Best Buy, mine only has last year's equipment other than the App Radio 2...it's car audio department is a disaster. $200 is a big difference, the detachable face is the only thing I'd have to decide on...after having cars broken into twice in the past, I'm leary about having an expensive deck in my car when I go on vacation (everyday use would be of no concern, live in a safe area). Maybe the Nebraska furniture mart in my area would have both of these, they usually are pretty up to date on stuff.

Two of the apps I probably would be using would be Pandora and Tunein, do you know if both of these work with both units?

you can only do apps on app radio1 and 2
no other radio

keep in mind there is only 1 preout on app radio 1 and 2 on app radio 2

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer double din decks

Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

From all the user reviews I read on last years equipment, people were really disappointed with all the screen input lag. I actually tried one of the high end Kenwood units about 6 months ago in Best Buy, the user reviews were right, the screen input lag was unbearable. Sounds like that problem is mostly resolved this year, I only saw one or two people comment on minor input lag this year (and they were both saying that it was way better than last year). When I was trying the Pioneer 930bt in best buy last week, I wasn't very impressed with it either...it was ok, but for the money I would expect it to be mind blowing. The app radio 2 was only product I saw that really impressed me, and it was 99% because of the killer screen it has relative to everything else I saw.

The 930 is way old
the 940 is much better
The new KEnwoods are night and day different from last years models
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tampatopless
One last thing:

If you go the Pioneer route, don't the buy the cable unless you plan on watching video from your iPod or iPhone. The USB to iPod cord that came with your iPhone or iPod works just fine.

There is a cable they try to sell you that goes from the iPhone or the iPod. It then splits into a Y and one fork plugs into the USB and the other fork plugs into the 3.5 hole. This thing is crazy expensive and you don't need it unless you are streaming videos or movies.

I can't tell you how many salesman insisted I absolutely had to have that damn cord until I pulled out my iPhone and cord and shoved it into the demo deck and played some tunes. They seem shocked - genuinely shocked, I tell you.

there is also 2 new cables available for the 8400 as well so you would need ot make sure you get the correct one for your application as well
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Its called MAP pricing
MAP pricing is what WE HAVE TO ADVERTISE FOR on website

I have said a million times
for best deals call me direct as I can not do things with pricing on website that is against the rules by the manufacturer or we will lose the product line and not be able to offer it

If you do not want a warranty by all means hit up Amazon and Ebay
+1

Call Dennis and talk to the man.

Quick Reply: Pioneer double din decks