Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Default Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6

So I'm installing a Z140BH from Pioneer in my 2008. I'm keeping OnStar and the Bose Amp. I'm also installing the Pioneer XM Module and Rear Back-up Camera.

I was going to use the GMOS-100 unit to integrate to my car but I was unhappy with the sound quality (which was atrocious by the way) and it's built in Reverse and Park Brake connections did not work.

So now I've ordered a PAC OS-2C-BOSE (comes with a Chime module) and an ASWC for SW Controls.

So far I've done the following:

1. Mounted Back-up Camera above license plate and ran the wire to the front of the car
2. Mounted Pioneer XM Module in same location as stock XM Module (after removing the stock module and bracket). I have an adapter to reuse the stock XM antenna (however I can only use one). I'm wondering if this will lead to signal issues.
3. Mounted Bluetooth Microphone on the A-pillar next to the OnStar mic
4. Tapped the HVAC unit for "Ignition 1." Even though PAC has it, I don't trust a "created" signal when my car provides one
5. Tapped the BCM (passenger footwell) for Reverse
6. Tapped the "blue" wire in the center console for the Parking Brake
7. Removed the stock GPS antenna and mounted the Pioneer one on top of the HVAC vent assembly

I'm planning on running all the components (SWC, PAC, HU, XM) off the same "Yellow" Constant Power line. The same goes true of the HU & Camera off the "Red" Ignition line. I'm using a common ground for all components.

I'm going to be putting my iPod in the Glovebox (as it already has a hole from when I had a PAL). I'm thinking of mounting my PAC and ASWC as well as the Camera "module" and FM Traffic module on the "sides" of the center console "tub" (on the outsides accessible by removing the inner glovebox trim and knee bolster).

I'm wondering if I'm forgetting anything obvious?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note on that chime module: I have one, and they are CRAZY LOUD without modification. Don't make a mistake like I did and put your console back together before noticing.

To calm down that chime module, I simply wrapped it with one layer of electrical tape. Simple, easy, and now it's at about the same volume as the stock chime. It still sounds cheesy, but I'm used to it by now.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I might mount it "speaker side" down then.

Does it chime the switches on the sides of the cluster?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
I might mount it "speaker side" down then.
The chime is a separate little module box, and no matter how you mount it, it'll be LOUD if it's anything like mine. You have to find a way to muffle the output, because it's so loud that it actually vibrates it's own shell which is also annoying. That's why I wrapped it in electrical tape. No vibrations, and the volume is "normal".

Does it chime the switches on the sides of the cluster?
Uuuuhhh... forgive me, you'll have to rephrase. I'm having trouble figuring out what you're asking.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
The chime is a separate little module box, and no matter how you mount it, it'll be LOUD if it's anything like mine. You have to find a way to muffle the output, because it's so loud that it actually vibrates it's own shell which is also annoying. That's why I wrapped it in electrical tape. No vibrations, and the volume is "normal".

Uuuuhhh... forgive me, you'll have to rephrase. I'm having trouble figuring out what you're asking.
When you cycle thru the Fuel/Odo/Settings on the DIC the buttons make a "Beep" noise normally (this is actually a function of the chime). I wonder if those are lost.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

When you cycle thru the Fuel/Odo/Settings on the DIC the buttons make a "Beep" noise normally (this is actually a function of the chime). I wonder if those are lost.
Oh oh I gotcha now. That is not lost, the PAC chime beeps when cycling through Fuel/Odo/Settings.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

fyi the pac will give you a rap power source, tapping the hvac wont
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

So now I've ordered a PAC OS-2C-BOSE (comes with a Chime module) and an ASWC for SW Controls.
good choice

So far I've done the following:

2. Mounted Pioneer XM Module in same location as stock XM Module (after removing the stock module and bracket). I have an adapter to reuse the stock XM antenna (however I can only use one). I'm wondering if this will lead to signal issues.
if the cable from new xm box to HU is long enough, it should work fine

4. Tapped the HVAC unit for "Ignition 1." Even though PAC has it, I don't trust a "created" signal when my car provides one
use the red wire coming out of pac as HU trigger

I'm planning on running all the components (SWC, PAC, HU, XM) off the same "Yellow" Constant Power line.
should work fine

The same goes true of the HU & Camera off the "Red" Ignition line.
do you mean the red wire from pac or the ignition source you tapped, I'd use the pac wire

I'm going to be putting my iPod in the Glovebox (as it already has a hole from when I had a PAL).
glovebox or center console? many ipods have died in center consoles

I'm thinking of mounting my PAC and ASWC as well as the Camera "module" and FM Traffic module on the "sides" of the center console "tub" (on the outsides accessible by removing the inner glovebox trim and knee bolster).
there's lots of room for modules above the passengers feet under/behind the glove box, pull down the flat piece with the light mounted on it and look up

I'm wondering if I'm forgetting anything obvious?
everything except SWC and dimmer wires are in this great thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...a-2005-c6.html

Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I'm 99% sure the pac retains all of the oem beeps. If it doesn't it's very close (and much better than the other brands).
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by markcz
I'm 99% sure the pac retains all of the oem beeps. If it doesn't it's very close (and much better than the other brands).
You are exactly right. I lost no "beep functionality" when using the PAC chime.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
fyi the pac will give you a rap power source, tapping the hvac wont
Hmm.

Good to know.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

use the red wire coming out of pac as HU trigger

I'm going to be putting my iPod in the Glovebox (as it already has a hole from when I had a PAL).
glovebox or center console? many ipods have died in center consoles

I'm thinking of mounting my PAC and ASWC as well as the Camera "module" and FM Traffic module on the "sides" of the center console "tub" (on the outsides accessible by removing the inner glovebox trim and knee bolster).
there's lots of room for modules above the passengers feet under/behind the glove box, pull down the flat piece with the light mounted on it and look up
Hmm. Now I'm rethinking on using the PAC for the "Red" line to keep RAP.

Glovebox, not Center Console as I'm painfully aware of the heat problem in the Center Console.

The area you speak of is exactly what I'm thinking of! There is a similar area also on the drivers side where I think I'll be putting some of the wire "looms"
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm still waiting for some parts but I did more work yesterday.

I cut A6 and A7 on the C1 connector for the ASWC, one goes to the ASWC the other to Ignition (Red) power source.

I also cut the VSS line off the C2 conenctor to run to the HU.

I still need to run the Illumination wire after tapping the wire going into the F55 Switch.

Once I get my PAC OS-2C-BOSE and Metra ASWC on Friday I should be able to hook everything up, program the SWC, test everything and button it up. Hopefully it won't take more than 2 or 3 hours on Friday. I've put in about 10 hours into this install already.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Got everything installed.

What a mother f***er was it to jam all the wires behind (And on the sides) of the radio.

Now I have two issues.

Issue one is I'm slightly worried the fan in the back is blocked by the mess of cables.

Two, my unit when the screen slides down and out of the way has "difficulty" opening and closing. The top of the screen as it tilts out "rubs" up against the top of the Metra dash kit. I tried 2 or 3 different mounting locations with the kit and I always had an issue with it rubbing something on the top or the bottom. Is this something I just deal with? (not that I open the damn thing that much anyway).

XM seems to work fine with the stock XM antenna (I used an adapter) however in my garage I get no signal (and when I walk near one of the mirrors, probably the one with the signal in it it happens as well).

The back-up camera is cool, but I get a nice red spot on it from my brake lights (I can still see though).

Oh and that PAC Chime module is F'ing loud! I too taped over it and now it's at a "normal" level.

I've noticed that I lost the tri-beep when I turn the car on. I get one beep and that's it. Cluster switches work fine.

The bluetooth mic is mounted by my OnStar mic and my buddy says when I call it sounds like a "crappy" connection. I assume it's because of the wiring situation (interference possibly) and the acoustics of the Corvette are garbage.

I'd dead tired now and going to bed. Tomorrow I might have time to dig into it more.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

The fan has a guard on it right? As long as the wires aren't keeping the fan from spinning, you should be fine. I had to deal with a similar mess of wires.

Depending on how many places your screen rubs on the Metra kit, you could always "grind" on the kit a bit. I've had to do that in the past. A dremel tool with the right bit can work wonders. Then, grab some flat black Krylon plastic paint and repaint the kit.

Glad the tape helped with the chime. I noticed that the PAC chime unit can get out of "sync" somehow, and can be reset by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I don't know why it does this, but the beeps can get a little weird every once in a while (for me, it's about once a month). It starts doing things like beeping only once when it should beep rapidly (door open in acc mode), and other similar things. I've NEVER lost beeping from fuel/trip/settings menus, which I was happy about. I kind of just "let it do its thing" and ignore it when it doesn't beep the right amount of times, etc.

I mounted my bluetooth mic on the driver bolster to the left of my center console, just under the start button, and everyone tells me that I come in loud and clear, even when I'm in the higer rpms or in the "drone zone" of 2000rpms (I have B&B Bullets). Congrats on a successful install!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

My BT aftermarket mic in the '07 was up where the oem mic is, I pretty much only got complaints about it when I had the top out. I might have to try next to the start button when I put the AVIC into the new '12.

LS3, I don't know how far back (deep) you installed the HU in the dash kit, but your rubbing issue may stop if you pull it out slightly. If that isn't an option, or doesn't help, then modify the bezel and paint it. You can get new ones for $10 so no real worries about screwing it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

My BT aftermarket mic in the '07 was up where the oem mic is, I pretty much only got complaints about it when I had the top out. I might have to try next to the start button when I put the AVIC into the new '12.
I hope it works for you. Even when I had my Lexus (very quiet ride), people would complain about background noise (road noise I'm guessing) and muffled voice when the mic was installed in the top corner window position. I moved the mic to the steering wheel bezel and it was much better.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

LS3, I don't know how far back (deep) you installed the HU in the dash kit, but your rubbing issue may stop if you pull it out slightly. If that isn't an option, or doesn't help, then modify the bezel and paint it. You can get new ones for $10 so no real worries about screwing it up.
I have the HU pulled up all the way in the mount. I could only mount it on two screws on each side! I think a Dremel job is in order. It's just a "touch" in the center. If I relieve it a mm or two I think it will be fine. I might be brave and do it without yanking the radio out of the car.

Yea my Mic is where the stocker is. People say they can hear me but it has some background noise. I'll see how it goes long term. It's pretty easy to remount it I would think.

As long as I don't have to remove the center stack I think I'll be OK. The Corvette has no room to mount things. My GTO was a cakewalk there was so much room (and you could get at it from the side of the center stack as well).
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

So I ditched the stock XM Antenna since it wouldn't work 50% of the time.

I have since mounted the aftermarket XM antenna in the rear (under the carpet near the locking mechanism (on the GIANT metal mounting bracket back there).

Signal works better, but still occasionally drops out.

The antenna right now is on an angle, I think if I find a flat spot back there it would work better.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6