Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pioneer App Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Pioneer App Radio

Does anyone have any experience with these?

They quit making the first generation models, and you can now get them for about $199.

The second generation models are about $400 to $450.

However, the first generation got terrible reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield. From the sounds of things, it appears as if they were problems that could easily be fixed in a newer model.

The problems listed with the first generation included trouble with firmware updates, lags in playing, cable connections, etc .

I was wondering if anyone on here had installed one or knew someone who had done it.

I was thinking about installing something like in my son's car, which has a double din opening and since he has an iPhone and doesn't need the NAV, I figured it was a good solution.

But for $400, I have a lot of other Double Din options. But no so much under $200.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I have one in my vert.

It looks great … I like the fact that it is sleek and has minimal buttons and no *****.

I like the App features that I use with my Iphone.

IPod integration is good.

it does have a few things that bug me:

Only has 1 set of RCAs

You have to press “OK” on a warning message about not viewing videos while driving every time you turn the unit on (can’t turn this function off) It won’t play until you hit “OK” ....... having to hit “OK” every time I start the car gets annoying

Clock is only visable on “home” screen.

I do believe it’s the future in head unit design (smart phone based head units), but that being said … it does have a few bugs that need to be sorted out.

IMO - If you mainly listen to an IPod while driving …it’s a good choice
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
zapp
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
I have one in my vert.

It looks great … I like the fact that it is sleek and has minimal buttons and no *****.

I like the App features that I use with my Iphone.

IPod integration is good.
I am pulling my app radio out tomorrow, and am putting a kenwood 6990 in. I put the appradio in in january, used it till now, I don't like how it works, and the fact it will only play the radio if the phone isn't plugged in. It is not very intuitive for me. Some people love it. PM me if you want mine for $50 +shipping
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by zapp
PM me if you want mine for $50 +shipping
If the OP doesn't want it, I'll take it
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
zapp
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by markcz
If the OP doesn't want it, I'll take it
I'll let you know
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

I don't like how it works, and the fact it will only play the radio if the phone isn't plugged in. It is not very intuitive for me. Some people love it.

Yes, I can see the App radio being a love it or hate kind of thing.

That is why I stand behind my comment “If you mainly listen to an IPod while driving …it’s a good choice “

I have an Ipod that is just for my vert and the only time I unplug the ipod is to plug in my phone for Pandora streaming and navigation.

But I look at my Ipod as part of the system …… I look at it the same way I used to look at my CD changer years ago … and since I always have an Ipod in my car with 8 gigs of music on it …. I love my App Radio.

IMO - If your comfortable with Ipods and smart phones …. You’ll probably like it.

If you think compact disc players and microwave ovens are cutting edge technology … you’ll probably hate it.

Last edited by v8rx7com; 04-04-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 AM
v8rx7com
Racer

Originally Posted by tampatopless
They quit making the first generation models, and you can now get them for about $199.

The second generation models are about $400 to $450.
I was under the impression the difference between the App 1 and App 2 units is the App 2 is Android compatible and the App 2 has a bigger screen.

I thought App 2 was just an upgrade … not a replacement for the App 1

I didn’t realize Pioneer was abandoning the App 1 model until I did some research after reading this post.

I just hope Pioneer will continue to support this unit with firmware upgrades … for those of us who bought one.

Holy crap!!!! I just bought the App 1 and it is already obsolete??!!!

Last edited by v8rx7com; 04-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am pulling my app radio out tomorrow, and am putting a kenwood 6990 in. I put the appradio in in january, used it till now, I don't like how it works, and the fact it will only play the radio if the phone isn't plugged in. It is not very intuitive for me. Some people love it. PM me if you want mine for $50 +shipping
I think I am going to pass on the App radio and go with the Pioneer 2400.

Good luck with your sale. It sounds like a good price.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 AM
zapp
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the interest, I sold it already
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
rebel97
4th Gear

I just put the just released AppRaido 2 in my Vette and it is working like a charm so far. Just need to start the car and radio before I plug in my 4S.

Pioneer fixed the issue about the radio not playing if the phone is plugged in. The radio plays just fine with the phone connected.

Also Pioneer is still going to support the AppRadio 1, Firmware version 2.5 was just released in Europe and will be avalible here around the first of May. So if you have an AR 1 no worries its still good to go.

One last thing, Bluetooth on the AR 2 works better than other head I.ve seen. The noise cancelation is just outsanding. Just have to talk in a normal voice and you are heard by your listening party with no issues at all.

The AR 2 takes a little getting used to, and it isn't perfect. But with the additon of GPS Apps, and Pandora, and Bluetooth, and the other internet radio apps, and my music on my phone. Plus all the new Apps that are on the way, this is a very full featured head unit.

I know its just me, but IMHO I've found the radio thats right fom me, and some of the bad reviews just might come from users that just haven't taken the time to learn how to use the AR 2.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
wademac
Instructor

Thanks for the info...

I've been thinking about upgrading my system...fit go okay?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by wademac
Thanks for the info...

I've been thinking about upgrading my system...fit go okay?
fit is fine
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
rebel97
4th Gear

Yes the fit in my '05 is perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer App Radio

Quick Reply: Pioneer App Radio