Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

which amp?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
02sscamaro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which amp?

what i bought so far is alpine type r 6.5 for the front speakers, pioneer 4400 hu and wire harness. i guess i should match the rears alpine 5 1/4? also i want too run 1 10" sub with a 5 channel amp too power everything is this ok? i really don't want too run 2 amps for speakers and amp. what amp would you say i need? any 5 channel that can handle power for everything? and last how did everyone wire there amps up did you take it right off the battery? fuse block? this is going in a 07 z
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I can't tell you which amp is best but I can tell you don't waste your money on the rear 5.25 speakers if you are going to run a sub and amp. If it were me, I would find a compatible Alpine amp and sub and call it a day. Check with best buy or a local stereo shop. You can find things less expensive on ebay from most of the major sellers as well.

My son has one, don't recall which one now, but it really sounds nice. He has a pioneer 2xdin but in the beginning he had a complete Alpine system I'm thinking it's a ten inch sub as well. But he just ran one amp and sub I do know that.

He took it out of his car and I thought he was going to put it all in his new car but he said he isn't sure if he will or not.

Wish I would have known that before I did what I recently did. Oh well.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-26-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you really want the rears, check out the Kenwood XR-5S.

If you go with fronts only, look at PowerBass XAX-4160FD 4-channel. 100w to each front and 320w to sub with 3/4 bridged.

Both are small footprint class D amps
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
02sscamaro
Racer

i was reading a thread about rears and subs. some people say you dont need rears when useing a sub? how does this setup sound for people that have done it?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

There are people who swear you only need 2 speakers to deliver sound the way it was intended to sound and gives you a direct line from your ear to your music. I see this in **** audiophiles more than your average listener.

Then there are those who like to be engulfed in their music and prefer 4 speakers. The sub simply delivers the bass while the speakers deliver the mids and the highs.

I've tried both ways. I will say just two quality speakers sounds better to me but I still cling to the old school ways of quadraphonic sound.

You get a better sound with 6.5 component speakers than you will say a 6x9. But a combination 6.5 is still better than a 6x9. With the smaller size speakers is why a person really needs an amp and then a sub to deliver the bass because most 6.5's can't deliver all the sound by themselves at a level they need to deliver it.

So with that said what do I have? 6.5 combinations in the front and 6x9's in the rear. But keep in mind most of the music I listen to was not recorded in the manner that would require the sub etc. But it would still be better.

I ask some of these same questions here and I didn't listen to the guys who really know this stuff, my system is fine for me, but they would say

In the days before subs I would say my system would be considered the way to go, but today the sub takes the place of the 6x9's and works way better.

But you can go ahead and put the 5.25's in and if you like them use them, if not, turn them off and send it through just your fronts.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 AM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Don't no on amp, with what you spent so far I would just get to amps. But as for he woofer. Get a type r 10 from what you have I'm sure you will love it
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Coolness
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like the alpine PDX amps, great sound quality and easy to install.the PDX-5 would fit your need.I am running two components and a SUB bridged on channel 3-4. Works great.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sscamaro
what i bought so far is alpine type r 6.5 for the front speakers, pioneer 4400 hu and wire harness. i guess i should match the rears alpine 5 1/4? also i want too run 1 10" sub with a 5 channel amp too power everything is this ok? i really don't want too run 2 amps for speakers and amp. what amp would you say i need? any 5 channel that can handle power for everything? and last how did everyone wire there amps up did you take it right off the battery? fuse block? this is going in a 07 z
Check the ARC Audio DXi 805 amp. Has 80w X 4 @ 4ohm and 120 X 1 for the sub at 4 ohms or 240 at 2 ohms. It's a small amp. I think you can get them from Dennis (c5 Bearsfan). It's a 5 channel amp.

http://www.arcaudio.com/product-page...ies/xdi805.asp
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

I'd also throw into the mix the Massive Audio Nx5, which is rated at 120Wx4 @4ohm + 800x1 @1ohm. I had that amplifier in my Lexus, running 4 channels + 10" IDQv3 sub, and the amp always held strong, and is also pretty small.

Get notified of new replies

To which amp?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which amp?