Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Putting a Nav System in a C6 with a stock radio/cd player

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default Putting a Nav System in a C6 with a stock radio/cd player

I'm kinda new to the C6 world and am about to purchase an '06 with absolutely everything on it except a Nav system.

Is there an aftermarket Nav/Stereo etc. unit that fits in the space where the original non-nav unit sits? I"m talking about it looking like it was made for that space. Who did you trust to do the work for you? What unit do you recommend?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can put in any double DIN stereo, so pretty much anything. As long as you get the installation kit designed for the Corvette and newer GM dashes, the look will be almost identical to OEM. (older kits did not have the same texture to the plastic). The only "issue" is the OEM Nav pretty much fills he entire space, but aftermarket units are slightly smaller, and will have an extra small trim ring (the installation kit) around the radio itself.

The install isn't a big deal, so most good shops, with Vette experience, should be okay. I had the only shop I really trust do it... Me!

Best way to do it is to buy the proper harnesses to integrate into the Vette, and then no wires need to be cut... Wire everything up outside the car, and then it's just plug and play. (this is with the non-Bose system... If you haveBose, it may be the same, but I haven't done one myself, so I'm not certain).

General consensus is that the Kenwood units have the best Nav (Garmin based), while the Pioneer units have better iPod integration.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 03-18-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Is there anything extra needed for installing a stock nav unit from the cd player unit?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by UmX
Is there anything extra needed for installing a stock nav unit from the cd player unit?
The nav antenna is all I can think of.

Just be aware that if you put an oem unit into the car you'll have to go to a dealer to get it programmed to your vin. From reading others posts, the new radio will work in accessory mode, but once you actually turn the car on it goes into security lockdown.

I'm also pretty sure that the current XM receiver won't work with the new HU, and IIRC the dealer can't do anything about that except offer to sell you a new XM box.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like almost easier to buy a aftermarket one.

Wonder how much it is to get programmed to your Vin and new cm box is.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by UmX
Sounds like almost easier to buy a aftermarket one.
I wouldn't say it's easier, but the aftermarket units are definitely better

Originally Posted by UmX
Wonder how much it is to get programmed to your Vin and new cm box is.
I believe they charge 1 hour labor. Problem is they can't all figure out how to do it. Specific instructions for the tech2 are available on the forum somewhere, I'd strongly suggest printing them out and making sure the tech knows what to do before handing them your keys.

Don't take the XM info I said as gospel, but I'm pretty sure the original unit will only work with the HU it was married to at the factory.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another option is to find someone that has factory NAV and XM and wants to upgrade to an aftermarket system, and buy both pieces from them at that time. That way, you only have to deal with the VIN reprogram at the dealer.

Unless I'm missing something? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by markcz
The nav antenna is all I can think of.

Just be aware that if you put an oem unit into the car you'll have to go to a dealer to get it programmed to your vin. From reading others posts, the new radio will work in accessory mode, but once you actually turn the car on it goes into security lockdown.
This is correct! As long as you don't start the car the radio and nav unit will work fine. Once the engine is started, you will have to plug in a Tech2 programmer to program the HU to recognize the cars vin number. You do NOT have to have the vin of the car that the HU came out of if you are using a used HU.

Originally Posted by markcz
I'm also pretty sure that the current XM receiver won't work with the new HU, and IIRC the dealer can't do anything about that except offer to sell you a new XM box.
Installing the OEM Nav unit in a car that had the 6 cd changer Bose system does NOT require a new XM receiver. The HU will automatically find the XM receiver.

I just recently did this swap and it was super easy. I'll be glad to help with any questions anyone might have about how to do this swap.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 03-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:42 PM
c6x
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
This is correct! As long as you don't start the car the radio and nav unit will work fine. Once the engine is started, you will have to plug in a Tech2 programmer to program the HU to recognize the cars vin number. You do NOT have to have the vin of the car that the HU came out of if you are using a used HU.

Installing the OEM Nav unit in a car that had the 6 cd changer Bose system does NOT require a new XM receiver. The HU will automatically find the XM receiver.

I just recently did this swap and it was super easy. I'll be glad to help with any questions anyone might have about how to do this swap.

Tom
I have a C6 with the 6 CD changer, Bose speakers, XM radio, but no Nav and would like to install the OEM Nav unit as discussed in this thread. How difficult is it to install the GPS antenna? Ray Kawal's site describes the rest of the installation in detail but there isn't much on the GPS antenna install. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c6x
I have a C6 with the 6 CD changer, Bose speakers, XM radio, but no Nav and would like to install the OEM Nav unit as discussed in this thread. How difficult is it to install the GPS antenna? Ray Kawal's site describes the rest of the installation in detail but there isn't much on the GPS antenna install. Thanks.
GPS antenna is easy, just slap it on top of the vents (inside the dash above radio) and it will work fine.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The system you have right now, is really easy to exchange the 6 disc for a nav unit. like Mark said you will have to get it married to the car. The XM will work. Just pulled the setup your looking for out of mine and went all aftermarket.

If you peek at my thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html I have the NAv, XM and a version 2 PAL unit with the Kawal harness up for sale. The PAL unit uses the XM2 channel if you want to control an Ipod through the Nav unit, and gives you auxiliary RCA jacks.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
I'm kinda new to the C6 world and am about to purchase an '06 with absolutely everything on it except a Nav system.

Is there an aftermarket Nav/Stereo etc. unit that fits in the space where the original non-nav unit sits? I"m talking about it looking like it was made for that space. Who did you trust to do the work for you? What unit do you recommend?
Yes, look for a double din sized unit. Double din is the space size measurement in head unit lingo.
I don't have any recommendations and do no recommend Kenwood. However, Kenwood does have Garmin software bundled for its navigation.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a Nav System in a C6 with a stock radio/cd player

Quick Reply: Putting a Nav System in a C6 with a stock radio/cd player