Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood vs Pioneer Nav Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Kenwood vs Pioneer Nav Unit

I was planning to buy a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT to put in my car. I know new Kenwood units have been released recently, and that the AVIC-X940BT is coming fast. I really know very little about car stereos, so I figured I would ask the experts here.

What would you get? Is it worth it to pay extra for the AVIC-Z140BH? I do like that real time traffic updates are included with the Z140BH, but I could add this to the X940BT for around $100. What about the Kenwood products? From what I've read on Amazon, people don't seem to be happy with the new Kenwood units.

I am not sure if it matters, but I will also be replacing all the speakers, adding a 5-channel amp, and adding a small subwoofer to the trunk center compartment. Or that is the plan anyway...and I currently use an iPhone 3GS.

I just mailed off my bezel to Double D Mods, so I have a month or so to decide which direction to go, but I'd love to hear feedback from you guys!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I say Kenwood
the 6990HD
The sound quality will be better as well.

The 940 will be nice

the 6990 has 3 5v preouts vs 3 2v preouts on the 940

People on Amazon prob have not tried the new Kenwoods(they have only been shipping for about 15 days now). The new Kenwood is night and day different versus the 80 series

you cant go wrong with either but I would do the Kenwood if me( or as I did lol)

OH
and you prob wont be seeing Kenwood on Amazon and Ebay much anymore as Kenwood is getting very strict on who is selling the products too. Kenwoods rules or we dont sell it!

Last edited by Double D Mods; 02-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
I say Kenwood
the 6990HD
The sound quality will be better as well.

The 940 will be nice

the 6990 has 3 5v preouts vs 3 2v preouts on the 940

People on Amazon prob have not tried the new Kenwoods(they have only been shipping for about 15 days now). The new Kenwood is night and day different versus the 80 series

you cant go wrong with either but I would do the Kenwood if me( or as I did lol)

OH
and you prob wont be seeing Kenwood on Amazon and Ebay much anymore as Kenwood is getting very strict on who is selling the products too. Kenwoods rules or we dont sell it!
Why can't I find the 6990 on the Kenwood website? Is it not out yet?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Orange06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear Kenwood is stepping up their game. I've had a couple Kenwood CD head units in the past, and found I preferred the sound of Pioneer. That's been decks 5+ years old, though, and not DVD nav units.

It's always good for the consumer to have more high-quality options available
Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Why can't I find the 6990 on the Kenwood website? Is it not out yet?

Send me an email and I will forward you the catalogs

We have shipped out 50 of them in last 16 days and have another 50 coming in about a week

dennis@doubledmods.com
Old 02-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Send me an email and I will forward you the catalogs

We have shipped out 50 of them in last 16 days and have another 50 coming in about a week

dennis@doubledmods.com
Sent you my e-mail. Also, are there any reviews out on these? The only one I could find was just a regular customer review on the Kenwood site. He seemed to be pointing out several faults, but he does like it (much better than the prior year's product.)

Issues noted so far:
Crappy scrolling
Unable to remove inputs (supposedly a PITA to cycle through all the inputs)
Unable to edit sources on split screen

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2634

Also am I correct that this is a $1,000 unit? That is a big jump up in price over the Pioneer 930 which I was quoted $650 installed. I assume I will pay $100 or so more for the 940...or has it gone way up in price?

I definitely dig that you say that the Kenwood will sound better. But I don't think all the pre-outs will help me with my planned installation, or am I missing something....I am a serious novice here.

My plan again: Nav Unit, 5 channel amp, componend speakers in the doors, probably simpler speakers in the back, and a 10" sub in the trunk compartment, while using my iPhone 3GS/iPod Video.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but I want to understand what the advantages are, if I am paying an extra $200+ for this unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood vs Pioneer Nav Unit

Quick Reply: Kenwood vs Pioneer Nav Unit