Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XS-69-Image Dynamics 6x9" 2 Way Component System

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
lionelc5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XS-69-Image Dynamics 6x9" 2 Way Component System

Anyone ever tried using 6" X 9"s for the fronts in a C6? There is a shop that does it here, using adapter plates the same way that everyone does the 6 1/2". They say it sounds great but I have not had the chance to hear them. They use ID 6 X 9s.

In the past I have had a few 6 x 9 that sounded great, but they were on my golf cart, not in my car.

I have always heard great things about Image Dynamics in the past, but mostly about their subs, anyone have any experiace with their 6 x 9s? I think I am going to give this a try and find out for myself.

Thanks,
Lionel
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Rick from RAAM audio was quite happy with them, even said some people (IE not bass heads) may be able to go subless with that setup with some decent power to them (read 100 watts or more per side)

Shoot him a PM on here, I am sure he can fill you in on them.

I am waiting to tune my buddies custom Ram 2500 Cummins with the XS 6.5 and 5.25 component sets in the doors

G'luck
Fej
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The company - ID - has changed recently. You should probably do some digging in that direction before dropping any cash.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Rbohno
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Would mounting depth be more of an issue with 6" x 9"s ????
Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM
lionelc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rbohno
Would mounting depth be more of an issue with 6" x 9"s ????
I am sure it would be with some, but there are plenty that will make it without clearance issues.

LionelC
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently removed the ID full size horns and X69 mids from my Duramax as getting ready to sell it. That combination, 75 watts to the horns(they can do the job with much less) and 250 per midbass was astounding.

Only a few 6x9's ever made sounded very good due to uneven cone flexing, or to heavy a cone for the frequencies required, heavy to deal with flexing, the ID X69, a very rare level of quality in that size speaker.

I had a set here for more testing on my Vette, full size horns as well, to offer an upgrade as it takes some serious midbass to keep up with horns if you want it loud.

NOTE 1) You cannot get sub bass in a Vette door without some very serious effort and much added weight(weight can be mitigated with a high level of custom molding, etc...but major work that is far beyond the scope of most, horns were easy, those mids, major investment in time and funding to implement properly.

NOTE 2) I no longer carry nor support ID since founder and president and one of the most significant names in high end car audio, Eric Stevens left his own company, not by his choice(long story, Eric was not the bad guy)

Eric still owns the horns so in the future I might have an offering for our cars as I absolutely love horns, they do some things conventional drivers just have a very hard time doing(I have heard but two none horn installs that were in the same league) Unfortunately many have not clue on how to use them so end up with a sound they cannot stand and think it is the horns. Another long story, bias even by supposed world class audio judges, etc.....some have used fake tweeters, etc, to win a world title with their well hidden horns

Back to those x69 drivers, unless you are willing to put a great deal of effort into doing this, or pay a good shop(be ware, most are clueless about anything related to actual high end audio SOUND) you are better off to just run some good 6.5s and a sub, simple as that. If if was easy I would never have spent all the time and money working on a proper C6 sub enclosure to offer, I would much prefer not to and it has been a major headache dealing with outside sources from day one, over a year ago.

---------

To justify my stand on this, I have 43 years into car audio and performance, prior competitor that has beaten a world champion, audio judge, know most of the best in the industry, specialized in deadening for 12+ years, Vette audio systems now as well and only Vettes....and I still have a great deal to learn, always will, there are those far more into this than I am, I am not afraid to get advice when needed nor say I did

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To XS-69-Image Dynamics 6x9" 2 Way Component System

Quick Reply: XS-69-Image Dynamics 6x9" 2 Way Component System