Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Double Din Project Completed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:23 PM
CG3Vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Double Din Project Completed!

Just finished my double din install in my 04 CE Vert. Special thanks to Dennis from Double D Mods who did an incredible job with the bezel and was fantastic in his support! He even got back to me on a Saturday night! I also read up on every thread I could find on C5 double din installation. The C5 forum is such an incredible resource!

I originally bought the Kenwood 6980, but soon realized the bluetooth was very limited and didn't support my phone. The bluetooth also doesn't support audio streaming, so Dennis sent me a Pioneer AVIC x930bt in exchange. The Pioneer has been great, and works well with my phone.

While I had everything open, I also installed a Sirius tuner behind the passenger seat, and a rear camera.

This is definitely one of my favorite mods! Feels like I am driving a new car, and got it done just in time for summer cruising!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Great job!!! Very clean, almost looks stock. I recently installed a Pioneer 930 in my C6 as well (which I also got from Dennis) and love it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I am waiting for a 9980hd to come in for my ce coupe as well.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks great

I'm in the middle of installing a Kenwood DDX-418 that I got from Dennis. Hopefully, I can finish up today.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:22 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is unbelievable. That may be the best C5 retrofit I've seen Dennis do.

How did you get that much space in between the ashtry, the AC control and the stereo? Is something missing? I can't figure it out.

If my C5 interior looked like that, I might still be driving it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
CG3Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tampatopless

How did you get that much space in between the ashtry, the AC control and the stereo? Is something missing? I can't figure it out.
I actually had to drop the AC control about 1/4 inch to accomodate the new head unit and bezel. Here is a picture showing the adjustment:

Luckily, it was such a small adjustment that it didn't affect the ashtray, and it fit the new bezel perfectly
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM
CG3Vette
Intermediate

Thanks, everyone!

I took a bunch of pictures during the process, so if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to help out!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Looks Great Chuck!

Thanks again and thanks for the kind words and the pics!

Dennis
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but does your backup camera come on when you put the car in reverse?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdawg79
I know this is an old thread, but does your backup camera come on when you put the car in reverse?
You normally connect everything so it comes on automatically when car is in reverse.

It's also possible to have camera powered on whenever car is running, so you can manually select that input on radio so you can watch it while driving forward.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 AM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Is there a write up on that, how does it wire into the car to come on for reverse? Triggered by the back up lights or something?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Purple wire in HU harness gets connected to reverse light wire which tells HU to switch to backup camera view.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:09 PM
jones358
Instructor

hey bud, maybe you can help me since its fresh on your mind. I am having problems with the brackets, I have two days bending, modifying, and enlarging holes with no luck. I am positive its a problem with the brackets, yes I have moved my ac down a hair lol. I can almost get the radio in if I leave the brackets really loose on the radio. Any tips I mean there are thousands of combinations I can move the radio and I still haven't found one there has to be something I am missing
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 AM
CG3Vette
Intermediate

I bought my double din and pioneer head unit from Dennis at Double D Mods. The brackets i used were part of that kit, and if I remember correctly Dennis had modified them, and they came ready to go. Dennis was amazing with his support and he walked me through the install.

I used towels to support the head unit while I played around with the bezel to determine the best fit. Once I was happy with the placement of the head unit, I used self-tapping screws to secure the brackets in place.

Hang in there....it was the best mod I did to my C5! If you give Dennis a call, I am sure he can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jones358
hey bud, maybe you can help me since its fresh on your mind. I am having problems with the brackets, I have two days bending, modifying, and enlarging holes with no luck. I am positive its a problem with the brackets, yes I have moved my ac down a hair lol. I can almost get the radio in if I leave the brackets really loose on the radio. Any tips I mean there are thousands of combinations I can move the radio and I still haven't found one there has to be something I am missing

no way is it a problem with brackets Justin.
you simply attach them to the radio and use the self taping screws supplied to mount them to the cage. We have been sending out the same brackets for years
its as simple as we can get. Even easier now is our premium full adjusting brackets we had machined. The cost for these are 40.00 extra now
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
jones358
Instructor

ok, I will give dennis a call to touch base...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Double Din Project Completed!

Quick Reply: C5 Double Din Project Completed!