Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Installed Aftermarket Deck Now Won't Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
OneBadvATE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Aftermarket Deck Now Won't Turn Off

I just finished wiring up my deck and the power is just constant. When I take out the keys and close the door the radio doesn't turn off. I purchased this install kit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120SVI2...ce.html?tp=678 I wired everything per the instructions provided and I searched around google and the forum without much success of figuring out the issue. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Make sure the red, yellow, and black wires are matched to the same color between the radio and XSVI. If they are, most likely your XSVI is bad, but you can check for +12v on the red wire with the car off to verify that.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

I ran into the same issue when I installed one of the Metra adapters last year as well. Crutchfield wasn't able to solve it, so finally I contacted Metra and here was their suggestion:

Remove the XSVI (or just disconnect from the car at the radio harness). Turn the car off, open the door to kill RAP (retained accessory), then shut the door and let the car go to sleep (approximately 10 min). Plug the radio/XSVI back in, and the accessory output should go low. Then turn on the car and wait about 30 seconds for the XSVI to find the car, and all will be good.

But...before you get all excited that this will solve the problem, please be warned that I tore my console all back apart and did exactly what they said and absolutely nothing changed. There appears to be some sort of magic necessary for the Metra unit to get into proper synch with the RAP signal. I say that because I also had various instances (depending on whether or not the car went to "sleep" during the installation) where I couldn't get my H/U to turn on at all even with the key on. I finally got it back to where it is powered constantly, which of course was the initial problem, and I just left it at that. Luckily my car isn't a daily driver, so turning the radio on & off all the time hasn't been too big of a hassle.

Good luck to you...if you find a solution I'd love to hear it!

P.S. Through the process Crutchfield sent me two different Metra units, and I had the same results with both. They even offered a third one to try, but I declined because I'm confident it wouldn't have mattered. I can't say enough good things about their Customer Service, but of course there is only so much they can do.

Last edited by mr_unruly2u; 03-29-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

OK, do what these other guys said...these are common problems, If those things don't work, then check the light green parking brake wire (nanny state cutoff circuit). If it is hooked up to the wrong source, you will not be able to turn the H/U off with the Metra box.
Cheers,
JG
Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I had the same issue with my first interface adapter (Scosche). Switching to GMCO (now C2R-GM24) solved the problem.

I posted about it at the time (my thread), only thing I can suggest is to use the start button to go from car off into 'accessory mode', that is what seemed to reset my Scosche when it wouldn't turn off the radio.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

Originally Posted by jcgunn
OK, do what these other guys said...these are common problems, If those things don't work, then check the light green parking brake wire (nanny state cutoff circuit). If it is hooked up to the wrong source, you will not be able to turn the H/U off with the Metra box.
Cheers,
JG
I don't know about OneBadvATE's H/U, but mine does not have a wire that connects to the park brake circuit. I believe you'll see that wire on units that have a screen for video playback, which mine does not. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you're having trouble with an XSVI, the easiest fix is to switch to an ROEM-Vet1
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

Originally Posted by markcz
If you're having trouble with an XSVI, the easiest fix is to switch to an ROEM-Vet1
From what I understand of the Pac instructions, you will lose the RAP function altogether because it requires you to tap into the accessory wire off the ignition switch (or wherever you choose). You could do the very same thing with the Metra unit as well of course, which I may well do since I have the entire dash apart at the moment to replace both blend door actuators.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If the only problem you have with the XSVI is that the radio doesn't turn off you could add a GMRAP for the switched RAP power.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

That's true in theory, but of course the same can be said for the XSV1. One could only hope the GMRAP understands C5'ese better, because it would be reading the same data line.

Since my dash is all apart for the blend door replacement, against my better judgement I decided to give the Metra "initialize" procedure a go one more time. As I expected, now my H/U won't turn on at all. Over the weekend I will say a couple Hail Mary's and try all the various combinations of key on, key off, door closed, door open, etc, etc, to try and get it back to constant power instead. If I get frustrated enough (too late), I may just find another circuit that has RAP power and use that to fire a relay to send accessory power to my H/U. $1.59 for a relay, and a little more work finding a wire and slicing into it, but that should fix it!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Your XSVI isn't working properly, if you get a GMRAP that doesn't work you can send it back, but it will work.

Originally Posted by mr_unruly2u
I may just find another circuit that has RAP power and use that to fire a relay...
Doesn't exist

RAP schematics are available HERE if you want to try anyway.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

Originally Posted by markcz

Doesn't exist

RAP schematics are available HERE if you want to try anyway.
If it doesn't exist I will just say forget it...although that does sound like a bit of a challenge to play with it some more!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
OneBadvATE
Advanced

Just wanted to pop in an let everyone know I managed to figure it out. Apparently the XSV1 has a learn procedure it must for the RAP to function properly. You must connect everything as instructed in the instructions. Then, turn the car on but don't turn on the stereo. Wait for 30 seconds and you will see the stereo turn itself on. It is now programmed and ready to go. I followed those steps and have had no issues since
Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
kaisersteiner
Advanced

Guys- My question is if you leave it this way will it drain the battery if you just turn the radio off when you exit? I just finished the install and I am having the same issue ;(
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

personally i say yes but i guess it really depends on the radio
Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 PM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

Originally Posted by kaisersteiner
Guys- My question is if you leave it this way will it drain the battery if you just turn the radio off when you exit? I just finished the install and I am having the same issue ;(
No, it won't. It still has battery power going to it for memory just like any radio would, but if you turn the power off manually it will not run down the battery. Mine was that way for more than nine months. Since I just had the dash apart again for the blend door actuator replacement, I went ahead and hooked it into the accessory wire off the ignition switch now. The RAP function isn't that important to me, although it would be nice if the Metra unit worked the way it is advertised, and at least now I won't/can't forget to turn it off each time. I went through the "initialize" process at least four times on different occasions and it never did work. If you keep trying, I hope you have better luck than I did!

Last edited by mr_unruly2u; 04-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by mr_unruly2u
No, it won't. It still has battery power going to it for memory just like any radio would, but if you turn the power off manually it will not run down the battery. I did that since last fall, and finally since I had the dash apart again I just hooked it into the accessory wire off the ignition switch. The RAP function isn't that important to me, although it would be nice if the Metra unit worked the way it is advertised. I went through the "initialize" process at least four times on different occasions and it never did work. If you keep trying, I hope you have better luck than I did!
not 100% true some radios even when turned off keep the display lit etc

Get notified of new replies

To Installed Aftermarket Deck Now Won't Turn Off

Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

For draining the battery it really depends on the rado you have. When I turned everything off using the screen buttons on my old D3 it killed all audio sources, but still had the screen powered up. If your radio is like that, then the battery won't last long. If you can verify that the radio turns completely off, then it shouldn't be an issue.

If you feel the interface working properly is a lost cause, why not rewire the radio with normal switched power from the fuse box.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
mr_unruly2u
Cruising

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
not 100% true some radios even when turned off keep the display lit etc
Well if the display stays lit, then it would be kind of obvious that it would run the battery down. I made the assumption there was at least that much electrical knowledge flowing here. My bad...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM
pantherchams
Advanced

I know this is old but I had a similar issue after about a year with my crutchfield kit. Rather than mess around with the dash I just pulled the radio fuse, replaced, reset the stereo and all has been good.

Ben

Quick Reply: Installed Aftermarket Deck Now Won't Turn Off