Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XM/Sirius Loss of Signal Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default XM/Sirius Loss of Signal Problem Solved

Yesterday I posted that after installing a new Kenwood DNX6960 and XM interface and mini tuner in my '08 coupe with the standard non-Bose audio system with OnStar and XM that I was experiencing signal "drop out" or loss of the signal altogether with the XM. The XM antenna and the Nav antenna had been mounted on top of the center a/c ducts (left hand side). The navagation worked fine, but the XM was almost useless.

Late this morning we began trying to isolate and solve the issue. We began by relocating the antenna. We placed it beneath the rear fascia on the steel impact bar behind a tail light. No improvement. Next, we took out the XM tuner and installed a Sirius SCC1 tuner and interface, again placing the antenna atop the a/c duct. Same loss of signal resulted. We then moved the antenna back to the rear bumber impact bar beneath the rear fascia behind the tail light. No improvement. Called XM/Sirius - they offered no help. Dennis at Doubel D Mods called Kenwood - no help.

Finally I decided to try mounting the antenna outside just above the rear hatch glass, on the halo, only temporarily, just to see if it would work there, with some double sided tape. Of course it did, we instantly got a strong signal with no drops, fades or los. But, I did not want that "wart" on the outside of my car. So we just started moving the antenna around the inside of the car and driving around and finally stumbled on to a location where we got a strong, clear, steady signal. It worked fine sitting on the dash at the base of the passenger side "A" pillar. So we popped off the "A" pillar trim piece, mounted the "wart" in the corner of the windshield and replaced the trim piece. The antenna and wiring are completely concealed (it just fit in there) and I have not had one drop out or loss of signal in over 200 miles of driving since and it is even playing strong in my garage which the factory XM would never do.

Both Dave Hale of Madvette Motorsports (who did the installation) and Dennis of Double D Mods (who sold me the package) remarked that they had installed many, many systems such as mine in the C6, usually placing the antennas over the center a/c ducts and had not once had a problem. We still do not know why there was a problem with my car. The car is basically stock - no engine or electronic mods have been done. The only other device in the car is a Valentine 1. It remains a mystery.

Last edited by vetteright; 02-08-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius Loss of Signal Problem Solved