Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Proper Wiring for 1 Ohm

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Proper Wiring for 1 Ohm

I am waiting on my Kenwood 6140 to arrive and I plan to buy an amp for my (Correction) 2 JL W0.4 subs. I was thinking of wiring them together and running a 1ch amp bridged down to 1 ohm. What is the proper way to wire the subs together to produce the desired effect?

Another question, I have a component set for the doors and the pre put specs of the radio are:
2 Sets of 2V preamp outputs (front and rear/sub woofer switchable)

So the rear output would go to the mono amp powering the sub, do i need just a 2 channel amp for the fronts or a 4 channel?

What are your thoughts on the power acoustik amps? Should I just use kenwood amps since its a kenwood receiver??

Thanks

Last edited by Slow Z06; 05-31-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
scofolo
Burning Brakes

Which W3 subwoofers do you have? And what is the impedence? Original W3's and W3v2's had dual 2,4,or 6 ohm voice coils. Most W3v3 subwoofers have single 2, 4, or 8 ohm voice coils. Also, which amp are you going to use?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Need the actual model/size of the subs to get the proper impendance from the JL website, then the wiring

A 2 channel for the fronts would be fine unless you wanted to go with an active crossover network.

Personally, I would go kenwood over PA, but that's just me
Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

do the amps have the ability to cross over built in? Will have to look on that. The w3's are:

wait

I ad the model wrong.......

They are 10W 0.4 JL
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
do the amps have the ability to cross over built in? Will have to look on that. The w3's are:

wait

I ad the model wrong.......

They are 10W 0.4 JL
According to the website, your JL10w0v2 is an SVC 4 ohm Sub. With 2 speakers, the lowest you can go is a 2 ohm load by running the speakers in "parallel" (see link)

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=41

There aren't very many amps today that are 1 ohm stable. I"m curious what amp you're using. IMO a good setup would be a 2-amp system. The full range amp running at about 100w per channel and a 300w mono-block amp for the subs.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the advice George. Would the Kenwood's be a good choice? Is there a particular set of RCA's I should get or just order some when I get the Amps. I had a 1f cap on my last setup. For something like this, should I get another cap and what rating one? Thanks again

Jerry

These are the amps I was looking at:

KAC-9104D - Kenwood Mono 1800 Watt Amplifier
KAC-7204 - Kenwood 2-channel 1000 Watt Amplifier

Any other suggestions? Not trying to break the bank on these but dont want to buy crap.

Also, I only nee 2 sets of RCA cables right? How does say the front RCA pre-out power 4speakers? Front are components but I dont know what active crossovers are or how they work. What would you suggest for a entry level set?

Sorry for all the probably dumb questions.

Last edited by Slow Z06; 05-31-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the advice George. Would the Kenwood's be a good choice? Is there a particular set of RCA's I should get or just order some when I get the Amps. I had a 1f cap on my last setup. For something like this, should I get another cap and what rating one? Thanks again

Jerry
I don't hav any personal experience with kenwood amps, but a buddy of mine from school got one for his subs and it seemed to work well. Go to crutchfield.com and search for amps there. Once you find the model you want, search out the best price.

I'm using KnuKoncepts Krystal RCA interconnects. They're a bit overkill as far as shilding goes, but I like the design, looks and the ease of which the length can be trimmed for a clean installation.

A 1 farad Cap wold work, but i reccomend at least 1 farad per 400 watts. A 1.5 would work best.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

OK so I did a little reading on active crossovers. I think im sold on them yet still know nothing on whats good bad or indifferent. So if running a 2ch for the front components which are a 6.5 and a 4, what type of crossover do i need? Will i need a separate one to do the subs?

Is the KICKER KX3 ACTIVE 3-WAY a good one? It has 2 inputs and 3 outputs.

Help OB1-George-nobie!!...LOL J/K J/K

Seriously though, If you could help me design a decent sounding system with what I got I would really appreciate it. For the subs I was just going to put them in a stealth type box. I would build a custom one like I had when I did the nitrous but I cant build crap out of wood.

Jerry

OT:
When you coming by the house to check out the turbo build? Its done now, just doing a few other things. Still have to tune it but waiting on meth parts.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

if you're going to go active, This usually consists of a midrange driver (usually 6.5-5.25") and a tweeter. A good active crossover will have at least 2 sets of outputs per input (one high pass and one low pass).

here's an example:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1616XSG...ay.html?tp=117

Here's a one i found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOPIPE-3-WAY-...A1%7C294%3A200

I'm using the Alpine PXA H701 with C701 display (you'll need the display since you're not using an Alpine screen headunit)

Assuming you're only running front stage, you'll need a 4 chanel or two 2 channels to effectively use an active crossover network.

OK so I did a little reading on active crossovers. I think im sold on them yet still know nothing on whats good bad or indifferent. So if running a 2ch for the front components which are a 6.5 and a 4, what type of crossover do i need? Will i need a separate one to do the subs?

Is the KICKER KX3 ACTIVE 3-WAY a good one? It has 2 inputs and 3 outputs.

Help OB1-George-nobie!!...LOL J/K J/K

Seriously though, If you could help me design a decent sounding system with what I got I would really appreciate it. For the subs I was just going to put them in a stealth type box. I would build a custom one like I had when I did the nitrous but I cant build crap out of wood.

Jerry

OT:
When you coming by the house to check out the turbo build? Its done now, just doing a few other things. Still have to tune it but waiting on meth parts.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

So what are ytour thought on these: Or am I just over doing it now??

Kicker ZX1000.1 Class D Amp Monoblock 1000 Watt Amplifier
$279.95
Kicker KX3 Crossover 3-Way 20X Multiplier
$89.95
Kicker ZX850.4 4 Channel 850W Speaker Amplifier
$279.95
Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

So what are ytour thought on these: Or am I just over doing it now??

Kicker ZX1000.1 Class D Amp Monoblock 1000 Watt Amplifier
$279.95
Kicker KX3 Crossover 3-Way 20X Multiplier
$89.95
Kicker ZX850.4 4 Channel 850W Speaker Amplifier
$279.95
I'd say you're overdoing it. Your sub amp is WAY too powerful for the JL subs you've picked. I also think 200w per channel is way too much for the front stage (especially tweeters)

The crossover you selected only has 1 output for the front stage. This means you're only crossing your tweeters while your midrange speaker try to play WAY higher than they were meant to.

Take a trip down to the local car toys or mobile 1 to hear some equipment, and try various setups. if you have it, take a CD of 320kbps audio and a wide varaity of music you listen to.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Hmmm, that might be the best suggestion yet. I know the "good stuff" cost the cabbage but I basically just want loud, jackhammer crisp, clean clarity that draws you into the music like your in the middle of the ocean. Music that like gettin into 20# of boost and hookin it for the first time ever.

Yea I know thats gonna cost out the yang, but if I can build it up in stages Ill do it that way. I chose that crossover because it has 2 inputs and 3 outputs. I thought that would be good for the front tweets, mids ( off the 4ch ) and subs off the 2. As I said eariler, I have no clue. Ill burn me a DMB cd @320 and head down to the store. Thanks for the awakening thought that i am an audio dumb ***...LMAO what happened to the good ole 8 track days??

Get notified of new replies

To Need Proper Wiring for 1 Ohm

Quick Reply: Need Proper Wiring for 1 Ohm