Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buy my stuff online vs buy it from the installer????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Buy my stuff online vs buy it from the installer????

Well here is my dilemma...

I am looking to do some stereo work and the installer REALLY wants me to buy the hardware from him. I know one of the reasons, for this, is that he gets his kickback from the manf. and also gets the difference of the increased price of the gear .

Here is an example of the difference in prices:

Hertz HSK 165
shop $399
online $220

So one of my big questions is, if I can find the gear online for so much less, WHAT do I get from the installer for that $180 difference. The price for labor with the "customer's gear" is about $20/hr more, but I can live with that. Am I missing something that I would get by purchasing the gear from the installer, like a warranty, or something worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:23 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is it you are looking at getting? I would check with the manufacture with regards to a warranty. I know Alpine says you have to buy from an authorized dealer to get a warranty. And if you buy online, you have to buy from an authorized online dealer like Crutchfield and BestBuy.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:32 PM
WaFp
Pro

the gear i'm looking at is:

Front speakers - HSK 165
Subs - JL 8w3v3 (x2)
Amp - JL HD600/4

the enclosures will be custom and i'd mount the amp behind the passenger seat.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

buy from him, he will prly do a better installer, be more helpful, and if u ever have a hardware problem prly be more helpful
Old 05-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most guys will tell you that they will install it for the same price, but will not help you out if something happens to one of your pieces, IF something happens. If they cook one of your components, your on your own....

I'd just buy it from them. They will probably be more apt to give you a discount if your buying your entire system from them, and will be more familiar with their own electronics lines.

Why not chance the install on your own? It's really not rocket science, just common sense & a bit of electrical knowledge. The incredibly detailed information that Komo, Volvo, and the other folks have posted in the FAQ's is all you will need.

The problem as I see it is that a C6 install is not as straight forward as a typical one. Particularly if your going with a stock HU.

Good luck!

Keith
Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of places are not installing stuff they don't sell anymore.

Usually they will cut you a deal, though.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
c4sailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
buy from him, he will prly do a better installer, be more helpful, and if u ever have a hardware problem prly be more helpful
Something goes wrong, you are on your own or pay him for every minute diagnosinig and solving the glitch.

Maybe you should just ask him why his hardware is that much more than the online (disguised added install cost?) and maybe negotioate a better deal. Perhaps, he just doesnt realize how much different his hardware price is from the "market". I would think that in this market, he rather have business at a little lower gross margin than no business at all.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Yeah, I'd definiently talk him down in price for the parts.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

When I used to work in a retail establishment as an installer the rate was the same wherever you bought it but if you bought from us you would get a cleaner install, the sales/installers would be more helpful, and if you had problems it would be fixed ASAP. Now that I install for my self on the side I just make recommendations as to what I personally would run and the customer orders everything less wiring usually since its easier for me to make sure we get the right stuff and everyone is happy. You get the products you want at the internet price, and you get a good install.

On a sidenote had to run to a best buy *cringe* today for an antenna adapter, i said I need a GM antenna adapter. He says what car, I repeated gm antenna adapter. I never should have said corvette shoulda said a cavailer. He then asks what year i say 01. He comes back 15 min later, god forbid they were out on the floor, with a harness. I was like dude antenna adapter and by the way that harness wont work in an 01 vette, then he brings the ant adapter and his manager comes out and trys to explain to me how its the right harness, gmos04 hahaha, let me know how that works in a c5 he kept going on and on how he uses it all the time and I had no business installing
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 AM
scofolo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really never know what you are getting from online sites, especially if they are strictly gray market. Many of the companies that have strict policies against buying from non-authorized stores and online sites will not offer any warranty. Some companies actively try to stop the supply lines to gray market companies. The gray market companies try to do anything possible to keep those supply likes hidden.

At the shop where I work, we had a customer bring in a JL Audio subwoofer from an online shop that removed all serial numbers from the box and the sticker on the speaker. JL Audio also stitches the serial number into the spider of the speaker. Well, sure enough, they had cut the spider to remove the number. Well, the speaker ended up being dead out of the box so the guy was screwed. To my knowledge, he still hadn't got a refund or replacement from the online store after a month.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scofolo
You really never know what you are getting from online sites, especially if they are strictly gray market. Many of the companies that have strict policies against buying from non-authorized stores and online sites will not offer any warranty. Some companies actively try to stop the supply lines to gray market companies. The gray market companies try to do anything possible to keep those supply likes hidden.

At the shop where I work, we had a customer bring in a JL Audio subwoofer from an online shop that removed all serial numbers from the box and the sticker on the speaker. JL Audio also stitches the serial number into the spider of the speaker. Well, sure enough, they had cut the spider to remove the number. Well, the speaker ended up being dead out of the box so the guy was screwed. To my knowledge, he still hadn't got a refund or replacement from the online store after a month.
Do you know what online shop that was? And what would be the point in a seller removing all that stuff? Stolen?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Do you know what online shop that was? And what would be the point in a seller removing all that stuff? Stolen?

So that the manufacturer cannot trace the sale back to the original buyer, or that the merchandise would be identified as B stock or....

I bought a set of DLS UR6's from ebay, and the same thing happened. The box & speakers had the serial #'s removed. Sure enough, the surround separated from the spider in less than a week. B stock!

I finally got my $ back, but it took a ton of time & effort for a 3 hundred dollar return. In the end, I only saved 50.00 from buying from the gray market as I can get DLS for cost...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

When I used to work in a retail establishment as an installer the rate was the same wherever you bought it but if you bought from us you would get a cleaner install, the sales/installers would be more helpful, and if you had problems it would be fixed ASAP. Now that I install for my self on the side I just make recommendations as to what I personally would run and the customer orders everything less wiring usually since its easier for me to make sure we get the right stuff and everyone is happy. You get the products you want at the internet price, and you get a good install.

On a sidenote had to run to a best buy *cringe* today for an antenna adapter, i said I need a GM antenna adapter. He says what car, I repeated gm antenna adapter. I never should have said corvette shoulda said a cavailer. He then asks what year i say 01. He comes back 15 min later, god forbid they were out on the floor, with a harness. I was like dude antenna adapter and by the way that harness wont work in an 01 vette, then he brings the ant adapter and his manager comes out and trys to explain to me how its the right harness, gmos04 hahaha, let me know how that works in a c5 he kept going on and on how he uses it all the time and I had no business installing
That would **** me off if I had a shop do an install, and I bought my own stuff instead of through them. And even though the price was the same, they did a crappier install just cause I didn't buy the stuff from them.

I just ran all new speaker wire in my 89.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
WaFp
Pro

THIS is why I love this forum

You ask a question and everyone gives really good advice. Thanks to everyone that responded. I am going to try and negotiate with the owner/installer to get a better price on the gear, the labor and custom fab I can deal with.

Thanks again to everyone, and if you have more advice, keep it coming!!!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:26 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
That would **** me off if I had a shop do an install, and I bought my own stuff instead of through them. And even though the price was the same, they did a crappier install just cause I didn't buy the stuff from them.

I just ran all new speaker wire in my 89.
buy the warranty and u get an even nicer install
Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

buy the warranty and u get an even nicer install
Haha.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

its ****ty i know but thats how it works, which is why more and more people go diy or find someone that specializes in there car that has a good reputation. after i stopped installing and decided to go to school in the last 3 years i have gotten a continual flock oh phone calls for installs all word of mouth

Get notified of new replies

To Buy my stuff online vs buy it from the installer????

Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

its ****ty i know but thats how it works, which is why more and more people go diy or find someone that specializes in there car that has a good reputation. after i stopped installing and decided to go to school in the last 3 years i have gotten a continual flock oh phone calls for installs all word of mouth
I'm doing my own install in my 89. The PO already had a double din Alpine HU installed with 4" Memphis speakers and used the Bose wiring. I ran all new 16 gauge speaker wire and I'm putting in new Alpine speakers. It is pretty straight forward.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

some installs are far more complicated but with patience anything is doable
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the stuff online and do it your self, I just finished upgrading my c5 it took me 2 days but i def would have spend close to 1k just for labor, and in the end I know how everything is ran and i feel great that i did it my self.... I also saved a ton of $$$$

Quick Reply: Buy my stuff online vs buy it from the installer????