Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C4 1992 Corvette Coupe Bose Gold Remove Replace stereo Head install SYS Light fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 1992 Corvette Coupe Bose Gold Remove Replace stereo Head install SYS Light fix DIY

♥56K CAUTION! PICS♥
My Blose Blew... and made really high pitch screeches and pops. I wanted to replace the Bose, plus I had a good old system from my honda. (all wires, speakers, amp, sub, etc...) I DID NOT want to spend more than $50 for everything. My BIG money is going into maintenance and performance upgrades - like it should! I DID IT! And I stayed under $30! (It was not easy! If I had to do it again, I'd charge $1,000! + I am now willing to pay a few hundred for someone to do it in my Z06! ...when I get a Z06!)
When I asked about wire diagrams, colors, etc... I found that this was a PITA. I Did NOT want to rip into dash to find my Control Module! So...

A. I Searched the web for about 2 months and re-read EVERY thread on "How To Install Aftermarket Radio in a C4"
(I soon found out, EACH YEAR IS DIFFERENT- or at least my C4 was different than others)
B. Ordered the install.com mounting kit $24.95 with shipping
(After finding out it's impossible for me to make one myself)
C. Made a diagram of all my wires and where they went.

D. Bought some wire protectors/connectors for $2 and made the wire harness and put everything together BEFORE routing it through the car! "I AM WIRE-MAN!"

This ensures I am attaching everything right! I TRIPLE check, THEN Labeled them!

This eliminates having to follow wires if something doesn't work right!
E. Placed the battery cables on. (I use straight Power and Ground to eliminate noise, plus a 150AMP fuse.)

E. From the battery, loop it around and inside the door (under drivers side top hinge!)

F. Run the battery wires in and under the dash- over to the new Head Unit- and under the Door foot panel, back to the rear.

G. I mounted the speakers in the stock places to keep the original look. 6x9's fit in the back sideways with heavy modifying. 4" in the front fit ok.
(Sorry no pics- there are many threads on speakers, and I hadn't planned on doing a write up!)
H. This Nightmare Had me stumped for a month! What wires are what?

I started 2 threads to figure this out, and It wasn't easy... (I was to the point of ALMOST buying the $50 Wire harness people suggested, then ripping everything apart. Thank God I didn't have to!)
J. I only needed it to avoid the SYS light people were getting.
I tried going by the old Bose harness- right off the back of it, but those wires are different colors- I was told I can't use them... But I did eventually!

*You have to install two "1K ohm .5W" resistors into a Grey/Black line, and Purple/White line. I had neither colors on my harness? This was frustrating, until I connected the wire harness- The colors on the other side were different?

K. So I checked the other end of the connector in the dash. But, I had 2 "GRY/BLK" wires and two "PPL/WHT" wires coming from the Control Module in the dash, making me wonder which ones to use?

L. I only needed to Zoom into the "SYS FIX LINK" photo and follow my wires.

M. It ended up being a Orange, and White/Red wire I needed to connect to the resistors, then to my power supply!
N. I set the stereo in the dash- the connectors hit that back wall of plastic. I was told to take a hot soldering iron and CUT through it CAREFULLY (There are Airbag Wires behind it, and the fumes are deadly!) ...I had already gouged my hand trying to break it apart with a pair of pliers and a small knife. I should have used the soldering iron!
O. With it snugly fit in, The cd's will just fit over my shifter in PARK! (Bob Marley Going in!) "Don't worry, 'Bout a ting!"

P. Damn it! The trim ring off radio doesn't fit

Oh well, instead of cutting it in, I left it without, and it still looks good!

Especially at night!

DONE AND POWER ON!

The moment of truth was starting "Mellow Yellow" and driving her around the block (in -15 degrees!) and rocking it out for 5 minutes of Reggae -No SYS LIGHTS! Woopie! Came back, slept, showed the wife the next day. No worries! Rocks good, but not too loud- Amp is in the storage bin for now. I want to put that sub in there next!

I was told that some who have Auto Climate control, may not have needed to do the resistor trick- I wanted to be safe, so I did it! Also if you didn't have a Bose Gold, things will be different!)

The wires are pretty easy to hide, don't mind my 16yr old carpet!
And except for wire colors, the install was easier than some lead to believe... But it was still a PITA! I've done a few S-10 installs, Impala's, Honda's, Dodge's, etc... Never had this much problem EVER!

For what it's worth- Thanks for reading! The Nightmare is finally OVER!
And Good Luck if you choose to install your own new stereo!
God Bless!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Here's a better view of why I wanted the trim ring...
but again, it wasn't worth cutting into the vettes bezel!

Last edited by FatherTime; 01-28-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
-=Tom=-
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this post! I'm thinking of upgrading my Bose stereo right now on my 95 with an mp3/ipod unit and permanently attaching an 80GB ipod under the dash somewhere as well. It gets charged from the head unit and shuts off with inactivity. I think it's better than having a disc changer.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the trouble as my system works fine at the moment.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Originally Posted by -=Tom=-
80GB ipod under the dash somewhere... I think it's better than having a disc changer...
Cool Idea!
...but what happens when the Ipod "Freezes!"

It's happened to the wifes a few times, so I'd be worried about that.

Also- there is NO NEED for "Disc Changers" anymore...
My Sony was less than $90 brand new! It can read WMA, MP3, and other computer files perfectly.
So I can cut an MP3 Disk that can hold 8 hours of music/250 songs/10 Albums.
It's not 80 gig's but I always bring my CD leather case, and I have ALL my 300 Albums at my fingertips.
It's not the top of the line, but it works very well for being so cheap!

I am NOT impressed with the placement of the front speakers- I move my foot, and it muffles the sound!
Anyone put "Satellite" speakers on/around the dash or something?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Read the "What do you run" sticky at the top of the section. Some people have put speakers in the doors of the newer cars, and if your running a competent system, you can mount the tweeters just about any were.

Randy
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 AM
-=Tom=-
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your wife's ipod has the latest firmware. I've had my ipod for almost 2 years and use it everyday and haven't had it freeze once. *knocks on wood

I'm planning to install it somewhere behind the dash but closer to the floor or somewhere I can reach in so I can get it out for updating or if something goes wrong with it. I can always fall back on using burned mp3 CDs if the ipod install doesn't work as planned.

May I ask what you did for speakers? I am planning on 6.5" rounds for the rear and 4 or 6.5" rounds for the front. It looks like I may have to butcher the stock Bose enclosures to mount them in there though. Using the dremel to take out material to get them to fit. I read through the entire C4 audio faq and the speaker install wasn't really explained clearly (or I didn't see it).

I'm really thankful for your write up though.

By the way how do you like that sub? I'm planning on buying the exact same one but trying to make an enclosure to fit it in the passenger area of the trunk. I've read some very good reviews on it.

Last edited by -=Tom=-; 02-09-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Thank You Randy... I'll look at that thread for advice. I'm thinking the door would be Ideal to move them to!

Tom- I have 4" Kickers up front, and 6X9's in the back. It's a pain to chop up the bose enclosures, so some have made their own. I just wanted something that worked, so I did a quick cut job to make them fit. If I have a few hundred laying around after tax time, I may throw better speakers in it, but then I'd need more AMP Power... etc (It can be an endless cycle!)
The Sub is great for how cheap it was. Not as much power as I'd like (I'm running it with a Rockford Fosgate 400 Watt Amp) I'd say 2 would be ideal! Also, I wanted it to be reversible, so I went without installing it in the storage trunk for now. It's in my room now until I bring the vette out of storage!
Only a few more months and It'll be Spring!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Wow! After looking at those set-ups in that thread, I am very humbled!

But the cost of those systems were over my budget. My Bose didn't work, so I just needed something to put in it.

The brakes and motor are next!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a radio and getting the sys light
did you conect the resistors from the old wires that were pluged into the back of the old unit to the wires going to your new reciever?

I got the wiring harness that I ran from my old reciever(behind the paas, seat to my new radio)The old wires from the in dash unit were not used,Is this where I need to splice into them

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Fathertime

I have the same colors on my 91 on the radio side.

From what I see, you cut off the radio side of the harness, ie the wires coming from the radio to the connectors and used that portion.

Unless I miss my guess, you hooked up the Switched power to the resistors and used it to power the new stereo and the resistors? IOW, take the switched power wire, hook it to the new stereo and run a side line off it to power the resistors which each to to the orange and red/white. So the red line powers both the new stereo and the resistors and gives feedback to the CDM which keeps it happy?

Couple of questions.

1. What wires did you use for Power, Switched Power, Ground, Antenna?

2. Besides that, what would I need to make a new radio work?

3. What did you do for the antenna?

Edit. The FMS is worse than worthless in this case. I am better off not using it since it is misleading

Last edited by aklim; 04-17-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Found the way to make it work. Leave the plugs alone and head towards the radio control modle above the passenger leg area.

Can't use the plugs for radio easily.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tblt44
I just installed a radio and getting the sys light
did you conect the resistors from the old wires that were pluged into the back of the old unit to the wires going to your new reciever?

I got the wiring harness that I ran from my old reciever(behind the paas, seat to my new radio)The old wires from the in dash unit were not used,Is this where I need to splice into them

Thanks
On my 91, I just took it for a 40 mile drive and no SYS light in spite of the fact that it is totally removed without the resistors. I turned on the headlights, drove, had the heater on and still no "SYS" light

Anyone have a "test" for it before I close it up?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 AM
dm575
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTime
♥56K CAUTION! PICS♥
My Blose Blew... and made really high pitch screeches and pops. I wanted to replace the Bose, plus I had a good old system from my honda. (all wires, speakers, amp, sub, etc...) I DID NOT want to spend more than $50 for everything. My BIG money is going into maintenance and performance upgrades - like it should! I DID IT! And I stayed under $30! (It was not easy! If I had to do it again, I'd charge $1,000! + I am now willing to pay a few hundred for someone to do it in my Z06! ...when I get a Z06!)
When I asked about wire diagrams, colors, etc... I found that this was a PITA. I Did NOT want to rip into dash to find my Control Module! So...

A. I Searched the web for about 2 months and re-read EVERY thread on "How To Install Aftermarket Radio in a C4"
(I soon found out, EACH YEAR IS DIFFERENT- or at least my C4 was different than others)
B. Ordered the install.com mounting kit $24.95 with shipping
(After finding out it's impossible for me to make one myself)
C. Made a diagram of all my wires and where they went.

D. Bought some wire protectors/connectors for $2 and made the wire harness and put everything together BEFORE routing it through the car! "I AM WIRE-MAN!"

This ensures I am attaching everything right! I TRIPLE check, THEN Labeled them!

This eliminates having to follow wires if something doesn't work right!
E. Placed the battery cables on. (I use straight Power and Ground to eliminate noise, plus a 150AMP fuse.)

E. From the battery, loop it around and inside the door (under drivers side top hinge!)

F. Run the battery wires in and under the dash- over to the new Head Unit- and under the Door foot panel, back to the rear.

G. I mounted the speakers in the stock places to keep the original look. 6x9's fit in the back sideways with heavy modifying. 4" in the front fit ok.
(Sorry no pics- there are many threads on speakers, and I hadn't planned on doing a write up!)
H. This Nightmare Had me stumped for a month! What wires are what?

I started 2 threads to figure this out, and It wasn't easy... (I was to the point of ALMOST buying the $50 Wire harness people suggested, then ripping everything apart. Thank God I didn't have to!)
J. I only needed it to avoid the SYS light people were getting.
I tried going by the old Bose harness- right off the back of it, but those wires are different colors- I was told I can't use them... But I did eventually!

*You have to install two "1K ohm .5W" resistors into a Grey/Black line, and Purple/White line. I had neither colors on my harness? This was frustrating, until I connected the wire harness- The colors on the other side were different?

K. So I checked the other end of the connector in the dash. But, I had 2 "GRY/BLK" wires and two "PPL/WHT" wires coming from the Control Module in the dash, making me wonder which ones to use?

L. I only needed to Zoom into the "SYS FIX LINK" photo and follow my wires.

M. It ended up being a Orange, and White/Red wire I needed to connect to the resistors, then to my power supply!
N. I set the stereo in the dash- the connectors hit that back wall of plastic. I was told to take a hot soldering iron and CUT through it CAREFULLY (There are Airbag Wires behind it, and the fumes are deadly!) ...I had already gouged my hand trying to break it apart with a pair of pliers and a small knife. I should have used the soldering iron!
O. With it snugly fit in, The cd's will just fit over my shifter in PARK! (Bob Marley Going in!) "Don't worry, 'Bout a ting!"

P. Damn it! The trim ring off radio doesn't fit

Oh well, instead of cutting it in, I left it without, and it still looks good!

Especially at night!

DONE AND POWER ON!

The moment of truth was starting "Mellow Yellow" and driving her around the block (in -15 degrees!) and rocking it out for 5 minutes of Reggae -No SYS LIGHTS! Woopie! Came back, slept, showed the wife the next day. No worries! Rocks good, but not too loud- Amp is in the storage bin for now. I want to put that sub in there next!

I was told that some who have Auto Climate control, may not have needed to do the resistor trick- I wanted to be safe, so I did it! Also if you didn't have a Bose Gold, things will be different!)

The wires are pretty easy to hide, don't mind my 16yr old carpet!
And except for wire colors, the install was easier than some lead to believe... But it was still a PITA! I've done a few S-10 installs, Impala's, Honda's, Dodge's, etc... Never had this much problem EVER!

For what it's worth- Thanks for reading! The Nightmare is finally OVER!
And Good Luck if you choose to install your own new stereo!
God Bless!
Thanks for the detailed info and pictures in your post. Used this info to correct the flashing SYS that has been bothering me since I bought my 91 Coupe a year ago ! Happy days, a healthy dash display

Cheers,

Get notified of new replies

To C4 1992 Corvette Coupe Bose Gold Remove Replace stereo Head install SYS Light fix DIY

Quick Reply: C4 1992 Corvette Coupe Bose Gold Remove Replace stereo Head install SYS Light fix DIY