Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

BOSE UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:37 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BOSE UPGRADE

Can you just change out the head unit and add amps? I was told you have to change out everyhting with the bose system! :confused:
Old 01-18-2002, 12:12 AM
JohnS
Racer

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (vettethret)

I think you have to change everything. Personally, I don't like most of todays head units - too ricey. I remember a post from a member a while back that changed rear speakers with amps added and a powered subwoofer in one of the rear coupe compartments (he kept the doorspeakers and stock head unit). Don't know the details but he claimed major improvement.

JohnS
Old 01-18-2002, 12:33 AM
dogdoc
Instructor

You can go to the audio forum and get some ideas. I am going to change speakers but not change radio/head unit. Don't like that flash,pop crap that the young kids put in the dash. They all seem to look like that. I have been told that you can improve sound to a point by changing the Bose speakers.Dogdoc :cheers:
Old 01-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care for the crummy stereo that mine came with either. Fortunately it wasn't the Bose system so it was easy to remove and replace. New Panasonic head unit, CD changer in the trunk, new JLAudio speakers throughout with an amp/subwoofer enclosure that also serves as a great partition (killed the exhaust resonance of the Borlas).

I like the DVD much better :lol: Great for watching concert videos...not while I'm driving of course, just at the stoplights :D Doesn't sound too bad either!

[Modified by Cajun75, 10:47 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 12:49 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (JohnS)

I think you have to change everything. Personally, I don't like most of todays head units - too ricey. I remember a post from a member a while back that changed rear speakers with amps added and a powered subwoofer in one of the rear coupe compartments (he kept the doorspeakers and stock head unit). Don't know the details but he claimed major improvement.

JohnS
That is true... Search for a post made by a member call 99HT ... he has posted the info in regards to upgrading the Bose system.
... I did this on my old 99C5 and it worked great... the major flaw in the Bose system is the speakers... which with those instructions you can replace and keep the stock HU...

On my 2002 I am planning on adding an Alpine Multimedia HU because I like the fact that I can upgrade to a Navigation system in a few months when I get the money to do so...

"Ricey" is a term used too often and I think that aftermarket HU's are targeted towards their largest market... the under 25 crowd...
Old 01-18-2002, 12:54 AM
FarmerBob2001
Instructor

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (NewVetteLover)

There's an adapter out there that will let you use an aftermarket head unit with the Bose speakers and amps. I don't know who makes it, but any decent install shop should know about it. You'll lose changer-control, though (if you have the changer).
Old 01-18-2002, 10:17 AM
123Gone
Safety Car

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (FarmerBob2001)

Wait a minute. You all are talking about the "Bose" system. The head unit is not Bose, its a Delco and the same one that comes in Camaros. The new Trailblazer has a REAL Bose stereo system. In the Vette, I think only the speakers are Bose.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:58 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (Cajun75)

dizaam, strong set up! I have 5k worth of stuff Im pulling out of my truck. With woofers can I do the same set up in a coupe? :eek: :eek:
Old 01-18-2002, 04:00 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (123Gone)

I better go check again.My 96 collectors edition came with a bose system, why would the c-5 not.I am walking outside to take a look! :chevy
Old 01-18-2002, 06:20 PM
123Gone
Safety Car

I have a 2002 C5 and a 2000 Camaro SS and the stereo units are exactly the same. The Camaro's stereo is called a "Monsoon" system. Chevy's website states that's Bose "designed" the Vette's stereo, it does not state that it is a Bose stereo product. It really pisses me off that the Trailblazer comes with a better stereo than my $53,000 car. :cuss :mad
Old 01-18-2002, 06:45 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Im with ya brother, my 96 actually said bose on it.Time to install my other equipment.Any body do a coupe yet with 12 subs and 2 amps? I dont know where to put it all. :cheers:
Old 01-18-2002, 06:49 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

JWSchmidt added tweeter in the front "A" Pillars up high, and a powered sub in the rear. For pretty reasonable money, he said it made a huge improvement. I'm guessing he'll find his way to this post and give you more info.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:13 PM
JohnS
Racer

Well, I haven't been on the Audio forum for a while but now it seems there is a wealth of info on improving the C5 system. Personally, the bose speakers is the last thing from the factory system I would keep. It appears now that there IS a low level speaker output in the back of the factory head unit (credit 99HT) that you can tap into. This changes the ball game completely now. With the low level output, we can now replace some or all the speakers, add amps, powered subs and still keep the factory head unit to make it "appear" stock. Now I guess I'll start looking into speaker replacements that will fit into the factory grills.

JohnS
Old 01-18-2002, 10:20 PM
austinC5
Racer

Funny that this topic is going on at the same time I get this. Check it out. It looks very promising.
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/c5.html

Check out the links at the bottom as well for the other speakers.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:13 PM
JohnS
Racer

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (austinC5)

austinC5: Thanks for the link - looks like a clean install. Any idea of a price? I wonder what to do with the factory CD changer that shres the same compartment. I think I've heard of someone installing two 8 inch subs on the center rear compartment lid and still left room for the CD changer. The amp however may need to be mounted against the rear wall. Any other ideas would be welcome.

JohnS
Old 01-19-2002, 08:57 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

That enclosure won't work if you have the 12 disc CD changer :( I plan on designing and building my own enclosures for the two side storage boxes :)
Old 01-19-2002, 10:56 AM
austinC5
Racer

austinC5: Thanks for the link - looks like a clean install. Any idea of a price? I wonder what to do with the factory CD changer that shres the same compartment. I think I've heard of someone installing two 8 inch subs on the center rear compartment lid and still left room for the CD changer. The amp however may need to be mounted against the rear wall. Any other ideas would be welcome.

JohnS
I thought their website site said it was $500 with the sub-woofer. As far as the changer goes, I don't have one. I have the cassette radio and use a cassette to mini-plug adapter to connect one of two devices I have that plays mp3's. While running around town and for short trips, I connect that to a 6 gig Archos mp3 jukebox http://www.archos.com. For long trips I connect it to my laptop. I also have StreetAtlas USA with the GPS antenna for navigation. Now that I know there is a set of low level inputs http://www.phatnoise.com presents another alternative. In fact, PhatNoise is working on an adapter for the HU we have, I just don't know when it will be available. I am hoping to get in on their Beta program.

Hope this helps.

[Modified by austinC5, 9:03 AM 1/19/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To BOSE UPGRADE

Old 01-19-2002, 05:43 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait a minute. You all are talking about the "Bose" system. The head unit is not Bose, its a Delco and the same one that comes in Camaros. The new Trailblazer has a REAL Bose stereo system. In the Vette, I think only the speakers are Bose.
Wrong..Wrong..Wrong! These are not facts, but misconceptions. I have to refute these claim constantly. It is always by new forum members or stereo installers. Delphi uses the same plastic tooling for many of it's HU's. If you look inside them, there are a lot of differences.

Bose seems to spend a lot of time promoting their name more than anything. They certainly do not make any HU's for anyone. Delphi makes all the HU's for GM.

Bose is a so called audio "pioneer" who does development work for many car companies. They need to go back to audio design school especially in todays market. The young people today are not interested in flat audio response or "concert hall" acoustics. They want stereos that blow your brains out and have a lot of bass and highs. Bose seemsto think everyone wants a "dead" sounding stereo. Bose has made numerous critical mistakes in the design of every system I have ever seen. I swear Dr. Bose is hearing impared. I used to hear his speakers back in 1972 when I was in college outside Boston. Bose is based in the Boston area. I used to be able to buy surplus stereo sub-assemblies from all the stereo manufacturers around Boston, including Bose. Almost all those companies are DOA today. They sold their names to Japanese suppliers.

The car companies believe that the Bose name has a certain "cachet" that will attract car buyers. Sadly this is true. Most people have a tin ear and cannot tell the difference between a $100 or $1000 system.

The C5 HU is unique to the C5. It is not even close to the Monsoon HU, except that many components are shared between the two designs. The C5 system was originally designed in 1993. Since the C5's introduction was delayed, it is old technology. Lucky for us, Delco decide to try and save money by eliminating most of the external amps used in older Bose systems. This deviation from the Bose "Formula" allows for easy upgrades to the system.

[Modified by 99HT, 4:54 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 05:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (Electron-2002)

That enclosure won't work if you have the 12 disc CD changer :( I plan on designing and building my own enclosures for the two side storage boxes :)
I have the 12 Disc changer and the JL stealthbox w/250Watt amp. Simply moved changer to the right side compartment. Connector cable length not a problem. Had a small carpeted cover made for compartment to "hide" changer. :D
Old 01-19-2002, 06:35 PM
WadeGA
Heel & Toe

Default Re: BOSE UPGRADE (Tx99FRC)

99HT, do you recommend changing out the factory head unit if you're not able/willing to make the internal circuit modifications you've made

Quick Reply: BOSE UPGRADE