Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

STOP! Read this before you use: Fatmat, PeelSeel, and other ASPHALT products...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default STOP! Read this before you use: Fatmat, PeelSeel, and other ASPHALT products...

First, Asphalt products are significantly poorer performers than butyl products (Raamat, SecondskinAudio, newer Dynamat.) This is both in damping and adhesion performance.

Second, and most importantly:

Originally Posted by afscme
Health Hazards:

* Acute (short-term) Health Effects: Skin or eye contact may cause inflammation and skin rashes, changes in skin coloration, and an acne-like condition at hair follicles and skin pores.

Asphalt fumes are created when asphalt is heated. Fumes contain very small, solid, airborne particles which are easily inhaled by the worker. Inhalation of asphalt fumes can cause irritation to the nose, throat, and lungs. Fumes may also contain hydrogen sulfide vapors, which are very toxic, as well as the vapors generated by the solvents used to "cut" the asphalt. (See below).

Exposure to sunlight or other ultraviolet light (such as welding) may make these skin conditions worse

Chronic (long term) Health Effects: Asphalt cement also causes rashes and other skin conditions, possibly including skin cancers. In addition, asphalt particles left on the hands may accidentally get into the eyes causing severe irritation to the eyes. Hot asphalt may also cause severe burns if splashed onto exposed skin.

Do you really want to sit in an enclosed box surrounded by toxic-vapor leaking fumes to save a few cents per square foot?

Update from Fatmat:

Hello Brian, this material is not dangerous and the information that is in that forum is talking about the asphalt that you would find on the road. What he neglects to say is that there are different kinds of asphalt which are made with different ingredients. Fatmat for instance has absolutely no hydrogen sulfide. The asphalt that is used in road construction does give off fumes because it is heated to the point of being in a liquid form which releases those vapors. As I am sure you know fumes and odor are completely different. The FatMat is mainly a rubber mastic with a asphalt mixture which is used for the adhesion. The only reason it has an odor at all is because it comes straight off the press and is sent to you.
During installation if you have sensitive skin it may cause skin irritation, so it is a good idea to wash up after the install, however that is not common
We have had this product tested and as long as it is not eaten but is used for its intended use it has no health effects.
(see below, brought this up to the top to make sure things are accurate.)

Last edited by Kale; 09-03-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Wow Kale, that is amazing. Thanks for posting the info.

Glad I used Raamat/Second Skin.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
y2kylwc5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What products do you recommed?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 AM
SublimeZ
Racer

Location: Austin, Why are they tolling roads that are already paid for, Texas

Originally Posted by y2kylwc5
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by y2kylwc5
As far as I'm concerned, only 3 products exist for damping: Dynamat, Raamat, and Second Skin.

Dynamat Extreme is very good, and is very expensive.
Second Skin Damplifier Pro is better than Dynamat (by user accounts) and cheaper.
Raamat is the budget choice, being a lighter material, messier butyl and thinner foil layer - but significantly cheaper.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

this is what I got back when I emailed fattmatt about this.

Hello Brian, this material is not dangerous and the information that is in that forum is talking about the asphalt that you would find on the road. What he neglects to say is that there are different kinds of asphalt which are made with different ingredients. Fatmat for instance has absolutely no hydrogen sulfide. The asphalt that is used in road construction does give off fumes because it is heated to the point of being in a liquid form which releases those vapors. As I am sure you know fumes and odor are completely different. The FatMat is mainly a rubber mastic with a asphalt mixture which is used for the adhesion. The only reason it has an odor at all is because it comes straight off the press and is sent to you.
During installation if you have sensitive skin it may cause skin irritation, so it is a good idea to wash up after the install, however that is not common
We have had this product tested and as long as it is not eaten but is used for its intended use it has no health effects.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
this is what I got back when I emailed fattmatt about this.

This is good news. But in any case, butyl is the stuff to get for damping. I updated the original post with this information.

Last edited by Kale; 09-03-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I used Fatmat in my truck last weekend and it still smells like asphalt, I called them and they said it should go away in a week or so but I really wonder. I left the rear windows down a couple inches for 2 days and the smell has lessened but after the truck sat yesterday with the windows up the smell was definetly still there. So now I'm thinking of ripping it all out, washing down the interior and using a different brand.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcfred
I used Fatmat in my truck last weekend and it still smells like asphalt, I called them and they said it should go away in a week or so but I really wonder. I left the rear windows down a couple inches for 2 days and the smell has lessened but after the truck sat yesterday with the windows up the smell was definetly still there. So now I'm thinking of ripping it all out, washing down the interior and using a different brand.
Damn. I'm sure it will go away eventually. Or you'll get used to it..

Last edited by Kale; 09-09-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by pcfred
when I did my truck with fatmat, it took a week or 2 for the odor to go away and I put almost 100 sq feet in it.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 PM
RichDash
Intermediate

I have used all mentioned products. In small and large quantities. To be 100% honest i could never tell an audible diff in any of them. At this point in time i now use fatmat due to price. It takes a month to get it shipped to you but it does as well as the others. The website posted above is actually hosted and done a while back and many people feel its absolutely biased. It really wants to sound scientific but it was funded and done by someone who had interest in the product. I really encourage anyone who is going to do this to seek out people who have done extensive projects with the materials and see for yourself. Use a heat gun and j roller from home depot and your fine, just have a ton of razor blades on hand cause they tend to gunk up fast. Also dont forget that fatmat weighs much less then some of the other mats. I personally dont want 200lbs of sound deadener in my sports car. As far as smell goes... They all smell like crap... it goes away though. and no i have never had a car yet that i used fatmat on suddenly have all the material fall off. I have done it to many cars and my own personal cars i have used fatmat on are a Jeep ZJ, two f-bodies, tahoe, 3000gt, grand prix and a old caddy. plus at least ten friends cars. I have used it much more then second skin or dynamat or raamat for cost reasons but done full installs of all ranging from 10 feet to several hundred feet. have fun with your projects but dont read too much into the hype...
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by RichDash
I have used all mentioned products. In small and large quantities. To be 100% honest i could never tell an audible diff in any of them. At this point in time i now use fatmat due to price. It takes a month to get it shipped to you but it does as well as the others. The website posted above is actually hosted and done a while back and many people feel its absolutely biased. It really wants to sound scientific but it was funded and done by someone who had interest in the product. I really encourage anyone who is going to do this to seek out people who have done extensive projects with the materials and see for yourself. Use a heat gun and j roller from home depot and your fine, just have a ton of razor blades on hand cause they tend to gunk up fast. Also dont forget that fatmat weighs much less then some of the other mats. I personally dont want 200lbs of sound deadener in my sports car. As far as smell goes... They all smell like crap... it goes away though. and no i have never had a car yet that i used fatmat on suddenly have all the material fall off. I have done it to many cars and my own personal cars i have used fatmat on are a Jeep ZJ, two f-bodies, tahoe, 3000gt, grand prix and a old caddy. plus at least ten friends cars. I have used it much more then second skin or dynamat or raamat for cost reasons but done full installs of all ranging from 10 feet to several hundred feet. have fun with your projects but dont read too much into the hype...
I used Fatmat and the smell lasted almost 2 months, matter of fact I can still smell it a little some days As far as effectiveness, it did a good job, I can definitely tell the difference in sound. I used Dynamat in my other vehicle, it did the job and NO smell at all.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Real butyl mats have no noticeable smell at all, unless you're literally sticking the mat in your nose. They are also incredibly more effective at lighter weights than asphalt. Asphalt is just a mass loader... butyl provides viscoelastic damping. This is the reason why all quality deadening manufacturers have switched to butyl. And Raamat is hardly expensive...

And as far as fatmat goes, I wonder what the deal with this story is...
Funny that asphalt-peddlers would try to pass it off as butyl...

In any case, for Corvettes specifically, I'm thinking that damping mat in general is not the best material to use... And perhaps a type of liquid damper is, such as Spectrum Sludge. They don't really 'ring' like metal panels do.

Also this link is interesting:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...9&postcount=31

Particularly:

Finally, I decided to have a go with Peel & Seal. These results can be reasonably extended to FatMat as well. I used the equivalent of 4 6" squares to reach the point of diminishing returns. Here, as with the eDead, the resonant frequency was getting close to being to low for me to know what I was hearing. I feel very safe in saying that in these specific conditions, 3 times as much eDead and 4 times as much Peel & Seal is not as effective as the single 6" square of the products that met the threshold.

Last edited by Kale; 10-23-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:08 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was told that the E3 liquid deadener in conjunction with the cowboy insulation kit was a great choice. Any suggestions or recommendations? About to do this mod on my car myself. I know I would probably want something else for the doors?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
I was told that the E3 liquid deadener in conjunction with the cowboy insulation kit was a great choice. Any suggestions or recommendations? About to do this mod on my car myself. I know I would probably want something else for the doors?
edead liquid dampener is decent stuff, it needs to go on THICK. I used it in my C5.

IF you want to wait for a while, I have some Second Skin Sludge on order, and I can directly compare the products.

cowboy kit is great for heat and high frequency noise (ie will take the edge off tire noise.)

you need straight up mass (like luxury liner) to block anything in the lower road noise area.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kale
edead liquid dampener is decent stuff, it needs to go on THICK. I used it in my C5.

IF you want to wait for a while, I have some Second Skin Sludge on order, and I can directly compare the products.

cowboy kit is great for heat and high frequency noise (ie will take the edge off tire noise.)

you need straight up mass (like luxury liner) to block anything in the lower road noise area.
Cool...thanks for the heads up. When are you installing the Second Skin Sludge? What would you advise for the doors?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Kale
Team Owner

I think the doors need to be stiffened more than they need to be damped... I'd reinforce them with something.

Get notified of new replies

To STOP! Read this before you use: Fatmat, PeelSeel, and other ASPHALT products...

Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe overkill, but in the door I used damplifier pro on the inside of the door outside of the door and the back of door cover. I also used luxury linear on the inside. I also sealed up the large open in the back of door with plexiglass and covered it. Here is my build look at post 40.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1932059
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Smooth72
Maybe overkill, but in the door I used damplifier pro on the inside of the door outside of the door and the back of door cover. I also used luxury linear on the inside. I also sealed up the large open in the back of door with plexiglass and covered it. Here is my build look at post 40.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1932059
Thanks for the advice...waiting to hear back about how second skin sludge it does sound like second skin is the way to go. Saw your car...fantastic looking! great work...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
Thanks for the advice...waiting to hear back about how second skin sludge it does sound like second skin is the way to go. Saw your car...fantastic looking! great work...
Used the sludge on a 69 pickup and it worked great but have not used it on fiberglass yet. I plan on using it on my 72 vette in addition of the rest of the sound proofing.

Quick Reply: STOP! Read this before you use: Fatmat, PeelSeel, and other ASPHALT products...