Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

JVC KD-NX5000 Single Din

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
EBZ16
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JVC KD-NX5000 Single Din

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Cnet Review - http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navi...-32319693.html
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 AM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Hi

I put one of those in my 01 M3.

It is slightly larger than a single DIN fitment, but it still fit the BMW single DIN slot.

Overall I liked it, it was pretty good, the user interface was OK, NAV was easy to use. I found that if it was put in RND playback from the HDD, and you hit the next song, it would reset the unit, which was annoying, but that was the only glitch I found on it. It played movies, ripped CD's and DVD's with MP3's, and had about 30 Gig of space on it. I also had the bluetooth, which worked excellently with my Motorola 3G RAZR (played custom ringtones from the phone, showed contact list, played music from the phone), and was a bit mediocre with my iPhone, but that is more Apple's half assed blue tooth than the JVC unit.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

its a solid unit
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Phidelt076
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do these have a decent easy to use Ipod interface?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
EBZ16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phidelt076
Do these have a decent easy to use Ipod interface?
Not sure but here's some info from their site about its features

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=133&page=2
Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM
vetfeva2
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dont Get This Unit

I have to step in on this one DON'T GET THIS UNIT. From one CF member to the next you wont be happy. I bought it because it caught a great price. Well the navigation map is over 3 years old. I know this because my housing developement is 3 years old and it doesn't show on the map. No big deal I will just get the updated map right? WRONG! I called JVC about it and they told me to call Navteq (the navigation supplier). I called Navteq and they told me that they do not support this model and to call JVC. So i did and JVC told me there was nothing that they can and are going to do. They guy i talked to even insulted me by saying that I should have known because it was noted on the box that the map was old. I told him, Why the hell would i buy a unit with a 3 year old map", the conversation just went down hill from there. So every month since I have had this unit, I call both company's and still get the same results, "Sorry there is nothing we can do". If you dont mind a map that is over three years old and takes you on the scenic route to everything because it is unaware of new streets then this one is for you. I toyed around with a VR3 (Walmart brand) and it ran circles around this unit. But i do like the 40G harddrive.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this unit installed in my C5 for about two weeks. I used a soundgate adapter and my stock Bose speakers. With the VSS wire hooked up (a must) it calibrated and works fine. The sound compared to stock Bose is awesome (I now subscribe to the view that when Bose decides to build a product that doesn't suck it will be a vacuum cleaner). The user interface and manual is a bit daunting at first - quite complex. The hard drive music server is great. I wanted high quality music stored on the deck, not MP3s. It will only record, not copy your audio CDs while they are playing. I found that if I ripped my audio CD's, saved the tracks as wave files in a folder with the album name, then burned that to CD as a data disk, they will copy to the JVC hard drive; problem solved. Next update - replace the 3.5 door speakers with Boston Acoustics. I'm disappointed about the lack of map updates, but so far where I live it hasn't been a problem. I intend to follow up with JVC/Navtec about this; will post when I have some news.

Last edited by jornahow; 08-05-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To JVC KD-NX5000 Single Din

Quick Reply: JVC KD-NX5000 Single Din