Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Lomison
I wired up the harness exactly as described...triple checked that everything was soldered up well and nothing was touching. When I plug the rca jack into my amp I get a strong high pitch tone through all the speakers...not just the subs hooked up to the new amp. Any ideas what could be going on? I have the basic (non-Bose) stereo. I was trying to hook up an external amp and two subs.
Also very common problem due to multiple grounds in the system creating a "ground loop." You'll need to buy a pair of Ground Loop Isolators and put them inline between head unit and amplifier to clean up the signal. Available at Radio Shack and all the usual online outfits.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

This is a great thread and I plan on doing this. One question. Speaker wire will need to be run from the aftermarket amps back to the speakers. Can the factory harness be used for this some how or is wiring directly to the speakers the best way to do it?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Stock wires can be used with some effort, but it's way easier and you get a better signal if you just run new wires. In C5/C6 running new wires is the easiest part of the install.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
However you do still have the option of leaving the rear speakers connected to the OEM system (the ADD-GM24 is a pass-through so it doesn't disable anything) if you really do want rear speakers.
if the ADD-GM24 is a pass-through, how do people eliminate the rear speakers? simply unplugging the rear speaker wire from the back of the rear speaker? is it wise to zip tie the speaker wire to something to prevent vibration from the loose wire? do people completely remove the rear speaker or just disconnect it?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I would think the easiest thing to do is disconnect the rear's. I plan on leaving mine connected. I'll have the rear channel running the sub amp and the rear factory speakers. I like to have that fill in sound from the back.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
beb111
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a good stuff for corvette c6 2005 with Bose premium audio amplified ?
better sound ? RPO U65
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...0&cat=0&page=1
thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
beb111
8th Gear

not the good one, how can I do for a premium bose system if I want to install an aftermarket system, on my c6 2005
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also looking at a plug and play solution to install an amp and keep my factory nav.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

its all right in this thread
Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 AM
RedRider98
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have now acquired all the necessary components and will be gutting the Blose crap very soon. One question though.. I bought an Infinity Kappa Five amp thinking that I can amplify fronts, rears, and a sub. After reading this thread, it seems that due to the stock outputs I can only run a signal to amplify the fronts and a sub, not the rears. Is there any chance that the rca signals for the fronts can be split into the amp to power both fronts and rears and the sub? Or would it just sound like crapola?

Last edited by RedRider98; 09-09-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:23 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Get two of these and split the front signal from the radio so you can use it on both the fronts and the sub. Connect the rears normally. Use the amp filters to make sure you only put the proper frequencies to each speaker.

Split the fronts so the sub signal is faded evenly with them since they are the dominant signal that you will tune to. Keep front/rears separated so your fade/balance still functions properly.

Also just FYI, the wire at B3 is the one to tap for the remote turn on signal for your amp. Only possible problem with using B3 is that some people don't like the amp turning on as soon as a door is opened, to get around that check out this thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

i tie the sub to the rears so if its too much bass i can pull the fade forward
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 AM
RedRider98
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys I need some help. I had everything installed last weekend but I have not been satisfied with the sound and I am getting somewhat "muddy" midbass only from the sub but no real deep lows. I had bought one of the GM24 adapters but the shop was really pushing the Audio Control LC2i unit so I went ahead and had them use it. They said they could still use the GM24 to avoid cutting the factory wiring. Not knowing enough about all this I said that is fine. Not sure if this was installed before the Bose amp but they never got behind the factory nav to do anything, all connections were made in the passenger floorboard including the LC2i unit. I also notice that the mid and high crossover on my amp doesn't seem to have any affect which also tells me that factory processing is still present in the system.

Since I already bought the LC2i, what is the best thing to do? Looking at the pics below, did he wire the high and low factory line levels into the LC2i prior to the Bose amp or after? Not sure but he might have used factory speaker wiring also in the doors instead of running new wires. If so, is that also an issue?

Here is a link to the LC2i:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/64...l----LC2i.html

Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Last edited by RedRider98; 10-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I've never wired at the amp and it's really hard to tell much from that picture, but since the LCi is a box make to convert speaker outputs I think that yes, they took the lazy way out and tapped the outputs. You're getting full Bose crossover and eq - which explains why you're getting nothing from the sub because the very signals you're after for it are already gone by the time they get to the speaker outputs. Another example of lazy installers who don't research the car they're working on, make assumptions that the Vette is just like every other GM of the year, etc.

Make them do it right - refund you the LCi, put the ADD-GM24 back at the head where it belongs (it might take them 15 minutes to get to the unit, tops!) and you'll get a world of difference in result.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Make them undo what they did and do it the way you asked them to do it, using the FULL signal with the GM24 behind the HU.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Great thread. Parts ordered for the GM24.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM
virtualdentist
Intermediate

Default be gentle

After a year of ownership, finally decided to install an amp. This thread says the white wire out of the head unit to the amp is switched power but the above says the white wire is a speaker wire? Am I missing something here?

Question: can I use one of the rear speaker leads for hi power 'in' for signal or does that signal have no low end signal--does the factory amp eliminate the low frequency?

I searched and searched but not finding the informaiton I need. Should I assume the facotry bose amp does not have a sub-woffer out for such modification?

thanks for your response.

Big learning curve here, I am certain this information is somewhere in this forum but I could not find

Get notified of new replies

To [C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

the wires at the rear speakers dont have bass. you need to do this mod or tap before the amp
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by virtualdentist
After a year of ownership, finally decided to install an amp. This thread says the white wire out of the head unit to the amp is switched power but the above says the white wire is a speaker wire? Am I missing something here?

Question: can I use one of the rear speaker leads for hi power 'in' for signal or does that signal have no low end signal--does the factory amp eliminate the low frequency?

I searched and searched but not finding the informaiton I need. Should I assume the facotry bose amp does not have a sub-woffer out for such modification?

thanks for your response.

Big learning curve here, I am certain this information is somewhere in this forum but I could not find
The white wire at pin B3 of the big plug behind the radio is the amp trigger. If you make the harness tap the harness wire that connects to B3 (it won't be white on the harness, on mine it's pink). Plug pinouts are HERE

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
the wires at the rear speakers dont have bass. you need to do this mod or tap before the amp
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz

Get two of these and split the front signal from the radio so you can use it on both the fronts and the sub. Connect the rears normally.

Use the amp filters to make sure you only put the proper frequencies to each speaker.

Split the fronts so the sub signal is faded evenly with them since they are the dominant signal that you will tune to. Keep front/rears separated so your fade/balance still functions properly.

Markcz,

The splitter is a female to 2 males. I am confused. What goes in the female end, and where do the 2 male ends go please?

I was thinking of installing a PAC LC1 bass control **** to be able to adjust the sub, but I am confused on what to do.

I'd like to keep the ability to fade Front to Rear, and also from Left to Right...and also be able to adjust the sub if it is too loud.

How do I do that please?

Also, is there anyone that might solder the RCA's on to an ADD-GM24 for me so that I get it right the first time please?

Quick Reply: [C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness