Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 - You don't need a Cleansweep

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default C6 - You don't need a Cleansweep

I added a rather large note to the top of the C6 Audio FAQ a couple of weeks back about the C6 not requiring a Cleansweep. I did this because the issue seems to come up over & over again because installers & equipment resellers are either too lazy or poorly informed to give folks the correct information. It was pointed out in a post in the FAQ thread that I didn't include WHY you don't need the Cleansweep, which I suppose is rather significant information. So this thread serves to answer that question and will become the link in the FAQ with that big, obnoxious statement I made.

The Cleansweep is designed to be used to integrate factory systems in cars where you simply cannot get line-level, flat analog audio output. By line-level I mean RCA jack signal, not amplified speaker output. By flat I mean that there is no signal processing applied, no EQ curve, no loudness, no crossover, etc. A number of the European car companies utilitize the MOST optical system where you just can't get analog output, or even in those where you can there's a viscious EQ curve built-into the signal. The Cleansweep is designed to take the output of those kinds of systems (at the head or at the speakers, whichever) and "clean" it so that the output is flat and you can then connect it's output to an aftermarket amplifier to upgrade the system.

The C6 head units (both Bose & non-Bose) output line-level, flat signal which can be tapped in a variety of ways. I wrote this how-to a while back for those who don't mind tapping into the wires directly. If you'd rather not do that, you can get a PAC ADD-GM24 harness from Sonic Electronix, hack off the output connector and solder on some female RCA's and use it as a "T" connector and that will also work and be a bit cleaner & easier install and un-install.

OK, so we've established what the Cleansweep does and the nature of the output of the C6 head units. When you compare those two things it becomes obvious that the Cleansweep is not needed in the C6 because the type of signal the Cleansweep provides is already available as-is.

So, save your $300 and if you're using an installer print this thread to show them that they're flat-out WRONG about your car if they advised the use of a Cleansweep.

You don't need a Cleansweep in the C6!!
The following users liked this post:
Dijon (05-14-2021)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the explanation... I think one thing that confused me is that some where you list it as part of your system.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CraigE
Thanks for the explanation... I think one thing that confused me is that some where you list it as part of your system.
That's because originally it was and the motivation behind my continuous beating of this drum is I don't want anyone else to waste money on it!

We originally tested the output of the C6 head unit using a PAC AOEM-GM24 and saw a very unpleasant loudness curve. Based on that information (and ill-placed faith in PAC) I purchased a Cleansweep. But my ears were telling me something was still going on, something missing and so we tested the PAC module itself and found that the loudness curve is in the OEM-1 box that makes up the base of the AOEM-GM24 module and not the head unit. So then we tapped the wires directly using only the harness portion of that module without the OEM-1 box in the mix and the results were flat. There are threads, I believe linked in the FAQ as well, that show the steps along the way, along with the results.
The following users liked this post:
Dijon (05-14-2021)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Komoman, for all you do this buds for you.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

this is 100% the truth, ive done 4 C6s with no cleansweep and amazing sound
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it matter if the car has NAV or not??
Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by footba4672
Does it matter if the car has NAV or not??
No, this is true of ALL of the stereo systems variations in the C6. None of them need the Cleansweep.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Rag42
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
this is 100% the truth, ive done 4 C6s with no cleansweep and amazing sound
Is the cleansweep needed in a 99 C5?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Rag42
Is the cleansweep needed in a 99 C5?
nope not in the least bit
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Rag42
Heel & Toe

So all that is needed is the adaptor?

Can I keep the stock CD changer and still introduce an ipod and after market amp?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Rag42
Heel & Toe

Default Help

I'm having a install done Friday. (99 vert) They keep telling me i need a cleansweep. I keep telling them I just need an AOEMVET1 adaptor.(possibly also a IPOD2Car adaptor)

How can I explain it to them. Maybe I should go elsewhere?

Can anyone simplify?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I would tell them you don't want the cleansweep and if they continue tell them your taking your car and your money someplace else. It's your money and you should not have to explain to a shop why you don't want something. Any shop that continues to push is not a place you want working on your car.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

cleansweep does you no good at all in a c5 they are just trying to hit you for more money, go elsewhere
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 PM
0Madvette Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rag42
So all that is needed is the adaptor?

Can I keep the stock CD changer and still introduce an ipod and after market amp?
Most adapters for the Ipod don't allow you to retain the CD changer. Of course, eliminating it allows you room to add a sub box.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Rag42
Heel & Toe

cleansweep does you no good at all in a c5 they are just trying to hit you for more money, go elsewhere
THANKS GUYS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE.

They seem like a reputable company with plenty of install experience and have said they've done vettes before...

Obvioulsy I have these two options if I proceed then..

1) Keep factory HU, add a new amp, new speakers & ipod adaptor,
NO cleansweep.

Oh I found out the their explaination for cleansweep. The Bose system outputs a non-flat signal from HU and it must be converted to flat signal before signal reaches new external amp. Also, mentioned the cleansweep will allow for an aux input for ipod therefore the ipod2car apaptor is not necessary. (Therefore, price of Cleansweep now cut in half?)

2) Remove OEM HU- Get latest HU w/features and Don't worry about non-flat signals

Let me add all your advice/experience has been very educational.
thanks again
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 PM
heheweec5
Instructor

Default question

Im not sure where to post this question. but im hooking up a sub and amp in my 2005
and i tapped into the driver side rear speaker by just splicing the rca wire into that.
when the volume is low you can here the sub barely, and when you turn it up the sub cuts off completely.
the amp is still on but no sound at all from the sub.

Is the amp/ sub pulling too much of a signal? or not getting enough signal?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

RCA signal is line-level, speaker-level voltage is a good bit higher, your amp is prob going into protection mode.

Best way to get RCA line level signal is by making one of these

Also, the full frequency signal isn't present at the rear speakers, so your sub won't be playing as much bass as it should.

Last edited by markcz; 11-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - You don't need a Cleansweep

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by markcz
RCA signal is line-level, speaker-level voltage is a good bit higher, your amp is prob going into protection mode.

Best way to get RCA line level signal is by making one of these

Also, the full frequency signal isn't present at the rear speakers, so your sub won't be playing as much bass as it should.
... AND adding a Matrix or other line driver ...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 AM
heheweec5
Instructor

OK so got the line out converter from my local audio shop and got it all installed, but the sub is so weak now, and doesn't have power like it did when i just tapped straight into the rear speaker wire with spliced RCA wire, can anyone shed some light on this and maybe a solution to get a louder sound like i had before.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The only way to get a full bass signal at line level is to make the addgm24 or splice into the oem wires between radio and amp. Run RCAs from there to the amp, set your LPF around 100hz and adjust the gain until you're happy.

Quick Reply: C6 - You don't need a Cleansweep