Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help with installing Avic Z2 on 08 Z06

Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
orlando_krash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with installing Avic Z2 on 08 Z06

Hello all,

A couple of quick questions please:

1. What do I need to get to keep my steering wheel buttons functioning with the new Avic Z2

2. Can I keep any of the stock GPS/XM antennas to run my new GPS and Sirius Radio?

3. What is the wiring harness for an 08 Z06 with Nav/OnStar as base audio?

4. Is there finally a good fix for the GPS on an Avic Z2 to operate the GPS while driving? I've heard of so many different opinions that I don't know what is true anymore including the Avic forum. My production date is Sept 2007.

Any suggestion on vendors for install parts would also be much appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by orlando_krash
Hello all,

A couple of quick questions please:

1. What do I need to get to keep my steering wheel buttons functioning with the new Avic Z2
The PAC SWI-PS will get that done.

2. Can I keep any of the stock GPS/XM antennas to run my new GPS and Sirius Radio?
You can use the stock XM antenna for your Sirius module, but don't expect great reception anywhere near trees. However unfortunately because of the fiberglass bodies this is also true of using the antenna that will come with the unit.

I've never seen where the stock NAV antenna can be used. I suppose if you could track down the wires and attach the standard screw-type connector to it then it would be possible, but I've never seen a report. Mostly I think because it's pretty easy to stick the antenna you'll get with your unit under the dash by the center dash speaker so people don't bother.

3. What is the wiring harness for an 08 Z06 with Nav/OnStar as base audio?
The Peripheral GMAH24B or the Metra GMOS-04. Jimmy2Times has reported that the GMOS-04 has the VSS and reverse wires in the harness and that would be very handy for your install.

4. Is there finally a good fix for the GPS on an Avic Z2 to operate the GPS while driving? I've heard of so many different opinions that I don't know what is true anymore including the Avic forum. My production date is Sept 2007.

Any suggestion on vendors for install parts would also be much appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

Mike
Can't offer you specific help on the AVIC, sorry. In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to NOMAD's D2 install, which will cover a lot of what you'll do with the Z2:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1518095
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Dogue
Racer

The GMOS-04 does have the VSS and reverse wires and makes for a pretty easy install. You may need to add a relay to the amp power (I did with my D3) but Metra's service can walk you thru that.
The GPS does function while your driving. If your wanting to search while moving you just follow the steps on Avic411 (move yellow prong, ground parking brake, etc) and you can control everything while moving.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
orlando_krash
Instructor

Thank you very much to TheKomoman and Dogue for your quick responce and helpful information.

I will check our Avic411 again.

thanks.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Help with installing Avic Z2 on 08 Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with installing Avic Z2 on 08 Z06