Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Age 50 + : can you hear the difference between CD and MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 AM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Age 50 + : can you hear the difference between CD and MP3?

This question is for the 50+ age group. Can you hear any difference between a CD and an MP3, same selection? Is if high frequency attenuation or is there more? I can't hear over 10K Hertz, so it may not matter.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNeil
This question is for the 50+ age group. Can you hear any difference between a CD and an MP3, same selection? Is if high frequency attenuation or is there more? I can't hear over 10K Hertz, so it may not matter.
Yes. It's mostly in the high-frequency detail and subtlety - it depends on the MP3 compression being used.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Torec
Intermediate

I'm 52. Not only can you hear it, but once you do with well-recorded CD's and top equipment - you won't go back. Same for the difference between CD and vinyl - then again you probably won't be playing records in your Vette.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 AM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by adias
Yes. It's mostly in the high-frequency detail and subtlety - it depends on the MP3 compression being used.
I can certainly tell the difference between CD's and an mp3 ripped at 128kps.

At 320kps, I have a hard time telling the difference. To my ear (and likely only to my ear!), 192kps is an acceptable compromise between smaller mp3 file size and high enough quality in an automotive cockpit environment -- I find that in the car, at 192 kps I don't often notice that it is only "near CD quality" sound.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 AM
redc-6
Instructor

I can't tell the difference and I think the BOSE system sounds great.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Originally Posted by Torec
I'm 52. Not only can you hear it, but once you do with well-recorded CD's and top equipment - you won't go back. Same for the difference between CD and vinyl - then again you probably won't be playing records in your Vette.
Are you saying that with good equipment, MP3 is ok?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 59, I can hear the difference. It isn't just high frequencies. Increasing compression generates increasing amounts of audible artifacts in the output. MPEG compression is lossy, so the reconstructed sounds won't be accurate. Fidelity across the entire frequency range suffers.

However, 320 kbs data compression is pretty darn good. To hear the artifacts at that level of data compression requires the very very best equipment in addition to very good ears. At 192 kbs, it is still better than most stereo speakers can reproduce, though it will be noticeable with good headphones. At128 kbs, the artifacts are so severe that they're very noticeable, even in a noisy car.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can hear the difference between the cassette player in my '96 Impreza and the base (not Bose) single-CD player in my '07 A6 coupe.
Also, the A6 coupe is faster on dry pavement than the Impreza, which is saddled with 2.2 liters turning an A4, although the Impreza will run rings around the Vette in snow, dirt and beach sand.

Last edited by SpryGeezer; 01-03-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

I think there is a huge difference. Especially in the highs. The Mp3's IMO, get very tinny and the soundstage seems to get a bit more destroyed.

Originally Posted by Torec
YIKES!!!! Excellent post.... I thought I was the only that thought vinyl has the absolutely best sound.
I have several absolutely pristeen copies of several Chicago albums on vinyl, I have copied them to my HD in wav files, and the difference between those and the equal version of the MP3 is Night and Day(so to speak)
My vinyl copy of "I'm A Man" literally has me on stage with the band. Incredible layout of each instrument across the car. The MP version is nowhere near that good.
So yes, they are not as good, and I am well over 50....
Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 AM
HotRodNeil
Racer

OK, now if a CD music file is 100 megs (a long classical piece), how many megs would it be at 320kbps? That will tell me how big of an MP3 player to get.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Age 50 + : can you hear the difference between CD and MP3?

Absolutely

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
quickride
Burning Brakes

OK, now if a CD music file is 100 megs (a long classical piece), how many megs would it be at 320kbps? That will tell me how big of an MP3 player to get.
My best guess is that a 100 meg file will compress to 30 to 35 megs when recorded at 320. Anyone else agree? It still depends on the content of the original piece.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 AM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

MP3 gives you much better quality esp. if you rip it at a higher bit. I don't have the stock audio system and use the new Alpine head unit which is made esp. for the IPOD.

When at home if I have it on vinyl that's numero uno as you can't beat the sound stage.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd have to hear them both to tell you. I'm not quite the audiophile I used to be, but I would like to be able to plug my iPhone into the stereo.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by quickride
My best guess is that a 100 meg file will compress to 30 to 35 megs when recorded at 320. Anyone else agree? It still depends on the content of the original piece.
A quick check shows that I get about 1 hour of 320 CBR in 135MB. I find 192 is the break point for me to tell the difference in music on the Bose system while voice can be indistinguishable down to 96 or less. In general, vinyl also can be the same at much lower rates than CD. But it all depends on the source and even more importantly, the compression program used. The MP3 standard defines how to play the file but it does not define how to compress the music. Therefore there is a BIG difference between compression programs. The difference is bigger than the difference between a low end stereo and a megabuck unit. The Beatles tapes from 1958 can sound great at 48BPS if encoded with LAME but you could probably still hear differences at 192 if encoded with ITunes or Windows Media Player. Bottom line is just like "what will it cost for a stereo that sounds good?", there are a lot of variables other than price or bit rate.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
ceeya32
Advanced

I did not know they were different!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
loubob57
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't make a blanket statement about MP3 quality. There are too many variables. Bit rate, CBR vs VBR, what encoder was used, what type music, etc.

All that said can anybody really tell me that they are going to be able to critically listen to the level required to hear the difference in a moving car with all the ambient road noise? Maybe some will, but I'd venture to say that it's only going to make a difference to me if I'm listening on my home sound system where I have much better speakers and a much much better listening environment. There I will say that I will usually be able to tell a slight difference between the CD and a well done MP3.

That is all ...

Get notified of new replies

To Age 50 + : can you hear the difference between CD and MP3?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
morgal48
Instructor

If you are over fifty and can hear the difference, you haven't been playing them LOUD enough! Have you forgotten the James Gang advice that R&R is "made loud to be played loud"? I can't tell the difference in audio quality of DVD audio from an 8 track. It's just loud from five places, not two.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Short answer is yes... depending on the playback equipment... On a very detailed revealing system... MP3's sound terrible. In the vette.. you can still hear the difference... but it's acceptable..
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
John's '07
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: I don't deserve this car, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either. Bay Point, FL
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Last edited by 1%r; 01-03-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: hijacking

Quick Reply: Age 50 + : can you hear the difference between CD and MP3?