Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrade '08 Base System to AVIC-D3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Upgrade '08 Base System to AVIC-D3

I tried searching for these answers but was unable to find the exact answer, so here goes:

I just bought an 08 coupe with the base (1LT) system and am looking to upgrade to the AVIC-D3. Since the 08 now comes with Onstar and XM, I assume I'll need the GMAH24 to continue using Onstar as well as chimes, correct? Also, is the XM receiver built into the head unit or external, and if external can I reuse it with the new system using some sort of adapter or will I need to buy the XM receiver that is built for the new head unit?

In the end I would like to have the D3 with Onstar, XM, Bluetooth, ipod and the original amp/speaker setup, so if there is anything I need other than the GMAH24 and the dash kit please let me know. (or if I'm even close to getting it right)

I'm sure I didn't explain myself very well here, but thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mn08vette
I tried searching for these answers but was unable to find the exact answer, so here goes:

I just bought an 08 coupe with the base (1LT) system and am looking to upgrade to the AVIC-D3. Since the 08 now comes with Onstar and XM, I assume I'll need the GMAH24 to continue using Onstar as well as chimes, correct? Also, is the XM receiver built into the head unit or external, and if external can I reuse it with the new system using some sort of adapter or will I need to buy the XM receiver that is built for the new head unit?

In the end I would like to have the D3 with Onstar, XM, Bluetooth, ipod and the original amp/speaker setup, so if there is anything I need other than the GMAH24 and the dash kit please let me know. (or if I'm even close to getting it right)

I'm sure I didn't explain myself very well here, but thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
You are correct that you would need the GMAH24 to interface with the stereo and continue to use Onstar. But also you will need the GMCHM with that to get chimes. Also ignore Peripheral's instructions to cut the RCA's off their adapter and wire in your head's speaker outputs. Unlike most other non-Bose systems in GM cars, the C6 base system has an amplifier, so plug the RCA output of your D3 into the RCA inputs of the GMAH24.

The XM box from the stock stereo is an outboard unit and you cannot control it with the D3, so you'll have to buy Pio's XM unit. However you can take advantage of the stock install position to use the stock antennas, and there is also +12V and ground in the factory harness. You would need to run the connection wires to the D3 though. On a coupe, the XM unit is above the left rear wheel well under the carpet. You can get at it by just pulling the carpet back.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
You are correct that you would need the GMAH24 to interface with the stereo and continue to use Onstar. But also you will need the GMCHM with that to get chimes. Also ignore Peripheral's instructions to cut the RCA's off their adapter and wire in your head's speaker outputs. Unlike most other non-Bose systems in GM cars, the C6 base system has an amplifier, so plug the RCA output of your D3 into the RCA inputs of the GMAH24.

The XM box from the stock stereo is an outboard unit and you cannot control it with the D3, so you'll have to buy Pio's XM unit. However you can take advantage of the stock install position to use the stock antennas, and there is also +12V and ground in the factory harness. You would need to run the connection wires to the D3 though. On a coupe, the XM unit is above the left rear wheel well under the carpet. You can get at it by just pulling the carpet back.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

TheKomoman,
I'm getting closer to my install and have a question regarding the "plug the RCA outputs of the D3 into the RCA inputs of the GMAH24" advice above. The D3 has both RCA outputs (which appear to be for connecting directly to an amp) and speaker output wires (for connecting directly to speakers), can I assume I need to connect the speaker output wires from the D3 into GMAH24 and not use the RCA wires?

I hope you can weed through my confusing question above.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

TheKomoman,
I'm getting closer to my install and have a question regarding the "plug the RCA outputs of the D3 into the RCA inputs of the GMAH24" advice above. The D3 has both RCA outputs (which appear to be for connecting directly to an amp) and speaker output wires (for connecting directly to speakers), can I assume I need to connect the speaker output wires from the D3 into GMAH24 and not use the RCA wires?

I hope you can weed through my confusing question above.

Thanks!
No, use the RCA wires. The C6 base system has an outboard amp so you will get the best result if you feed the GMAH24 a line-level signal from the D3's RCA outputs. Most non-Bose GM cars do not have the outboard amp so that's why Peripherpal's instructions refer to clipping them off and tying the wires directly in.

Use the RCA's.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

I think I may have a bit of a terminology problem here... So I want to cut the RCA connectors off the D3's RCA wires that are supposed to connect to an amp directly, and connect them to the appropriate speaker wires (RAD-18 harness) on the GMAH24? I apologize for asking so many stupid questions, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by evilmonkey; 11-21-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

I think I may have a bit of a terminology problem here... So I want to cut the RCA connectors off the D3's RCA wires that are supposed to connect to an amp directly, and connect them to the appropriate speaker wires (RAD-18 harness) on the GMAH24? I apologize for asking so many stupid questions, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks again for your help.
No!! No cutting of anything needed. The RCA's on the AVIC I'm sure have female connections. I'm not sure if the connectors on the GMAH24 are male or female. If they're male then just plug them straight into the AVIC's connectors. If they're female then either just use a normal RCA cable (male-to-male is the standard RCA cable) or get some male/male barrel connectors.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

The GMAH24 doesn't have RCA connectors... Should I have bought the GMAH24B instead of GMAH24?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

The GMAH24 doesn't have RCA connectors... Should I have bought the GMAH24B instead of GMAH24?
Sorry for the disconnect there... I could have sworn I've been told that it does.. but ya know what, I may be getting it confused with the GMCO which can be for Bose or non-Bose. Sorry about that.

Ideally I'd say to solder on female RCA's... but since you're sticking to the stock amp and going through some sort of a circuit (in the GMAH24) that would step down the signal if it needed to anyway I don't know how much of an audible difference it would make. So for convenience, I guess tie it into the speaker outputs of the AVIC after all.

Sorry again for the circle-jerk there.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

I attempted to connect the speaker wires from the D3 to the speaker wires on the gmah24, got sound but the menu beeps were very loud.
I then soldered male rca connectors to the gmah24 speaker wires and connected them to the female rca jacks on the D3, that got rid of the loud menu beeps, but now I'm getting a loud pop when the acc turns off. I'm assuming this is coming from the amp that is turning off a fraction of a second after the D3. I tried putting a 3.2k ohm resister in the amp trigger line, but the pop has not changed at all. Is there any other thing I can try that will remove the pop on power down? I'm not getting the pop on power up as some have reported.

Any help is appreciated - strangely enough I kind of like the challenge this project is presenting. I must be sick!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 PM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to connect the speaker wires from the D3 to the speaker wires on the gmah24, got sound but the menu beeps were very loud.
I then soldered male rca connectors to the gmah24 speaker wires and connected them to the female rca jacks on the D3, that got rid of the loud menu beeps, but now I'm getting a loud pop when the acc turns off. I'm assuming this is coming from the amp that is turning off a fraction of a second after the D3. I tried putting a 3.2k ohm resister in the amp trigger line, but the pop has not changed at all. Is there any other thing I can try that will remove the pop on power down? I'm not getting the pop on power up as some have reported.

Any help is appreciated - strangely enough I kind of like the challenge this project is presenting. I must be sick!

I got rid of the pop by removing the factory amp
Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

I was able to eliminate the pop on power down by adding ground loop isolators to the rca line's per TheKokomans advice - thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 AM
03snakerush
Intermediate

MN08VETTE-

pm sent....Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
C6Harley
Drifting

mn08- how exactly did you go about this? I'm having the same problem and don't have rca jacks at all on my harness (im using the 8 standard wires for the speakers). Radio shack said they only have the ground loop isolators that have rca on both ends. Not using the RCA connections for my speakers I assume this does me no good.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Originally Posted by C6Harley
mn08- how exactly did you go about this? I'm having the same problem and don't have rca jacks at all on my harness (im using the 8 standard wires for the speakers). Radio shack said they only have the ground loop isolators that have rca on both ends. Not using the RCA connections for my speakers I assume this does me no good.
I bought some solder-on female rca jacks and connected them to the speaker wires on the wiring harness (peripheral gmah24). I then connected the ground loop isolators in between the rca plugs on the D3 and the newly soldered rca jacks on the harness. Make sure you connect a female plug to the wiring harness because the ground loop isolators from radio shack have male connectors at both ends.

I see in another post the ground loop isolators did not solve your problem. It did do the trick for me, but you need to make sure your connections are very solid. I was still getting a slight pop after my first attempt at the rca connectors and after resoldering them and wrapping some electrical tape around the connectors, the pop was gone. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade '08 Base System to AVIC-D3

Quick Reply: Upgrade '08 Base System to AVIC-D3