Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed new stereo. Have a couple questions for the helpful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 PM
RoperC4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new stereo. Have a couple questions for the helpful.

I installed my stereo, but my deck is just laying there. No way I can get all the wires (lots of rca's for multiple amps, and alot of capped deck wire) to fit snug behind dash and the wires are too short to nicely run back behind dash, they have to be only 4 inches behind the cd player. I have no room to properly put the deck in snugly. And next problem is, the alpine cd player I am using (cda-9815) is too wide for the gap on the panel that goes over the ac and stereo area. It wont fit on. any suggestions? Links?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 PM
splash
Advanced

What yr vette do you have and have you taken out that part of the dash or not. You should have more than enough room.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 PM
RoperC4
Racer

Its a 1993. There is a peice of plastic behind where the prong on the back of the bose unit locked into, Im thinking it might have to get pulled or cut out. but I dont wanna chop on my baby.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

You need to cut the plastic panel behind the factory radio for it to fit. I used a soldering gun with the heat cutting attachment to do both of mine. The factory trim plate will only fit if you do not use the trim plate for the Alpine. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
RoperC4
Racer

I left the trim plate off and it still needs half a centimeter worth. Thanks for your help so far you guys are awesome! But my faceplate is motorized so its a hair wider I guess and the pins that drag the face up and down are grabbing.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

I'm using that same Headunit in my 90 and don't have that problem. Could be the differences in our mounting brackets. I'm using the mounting kits from VRUMVRUM, a member of the forum. From what I hear though he isn't making anymore C4 mounts.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
RoperC4
Racer

I think I can file the back side of the plate to allow the deck enough space without the filing job being visible unless you know what you are looking for. The whole install is looking really clean, just gotta get over this one bump in the road.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Hey Andrew, guess what? I just saw a thread that says the CDM in your car is in the rear compartment, on the pass side. I guess that solves that riddle. Let me know if you have any other questions.
BTW, here is my Vrum Vrum faceplate:

Like it? I painted it to match the console, which I had to repaint because it was all scratched up.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
RoperC4
Racer

Cool, I bought those instructions a few days ago, it cost me no more than a big mac meal so I just did it. I finished the stereo last night, I will post pics soon to see what you guys think. Thanks for all your help! Now on to find me a new passenger side headlight motor haha! I had the brass gear and everything and its still slipping. (i think the brass gear is spinning on the aluminum thing it wraps around, but I cannot get the brass gear off of it to repair the inside... I might pin it with a small hole drilled through the both and a press fit pin running through each)

By the way, I installed focal K2p's in the front, and polyglass in the rear, 2 alpine v12 amps, a kicker 10 in the storage compartment, and hid me a nice cross-over where nobody knows where to find it (haha) and it sounds incredible, although I am taking it easy on the midbass of the focals right now just to break em in.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
RoperC4
Racer

PS: as far as the headlight gear goes, I know the gear isnt slipping on the motor shaft that runs through the middle because I ran a press fit pin through the middle of it, and it is the most beautiful thing I have ever done on these under-engineered headlights!

Get notified of new replies

To Installed new stereo. Have a couple questions for the helpful.

Quick Reply: Installed new stereo. Have a couple questions for the helpful.