Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So my Edead deadening is falling off :/

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default So my Edead deadening is falling off :/

I bought some of their new butyl stuff, prepped well, and installed. LESS than a year later, its peeling off. The cheap mylar backing is coming off.

So I peeled it ofF (easily, I might add) and replaced it with Raamat. Though Raamat is a bit more expensive, its a MUCH better value. Thick foil backing, super sticky butyl.

My advice : Stay away from Elemental Designs mat damping (Their liquid solution is still holding fine in my application.)

And I apologize to anyone I may have directed toward the Edead stuff.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're nto the first that i've heard about with this problem
i'm hoping my doesnt fall off now :-(
Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Sucks about ur edead experience. Glad you found a replacement.

I've had good luck with their liquid stuff as well and I'll be adding some to my trunk lid as well covered with their foam v4.

Let us know how the raamat holds up
Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Stay away! Do not be fooled by low prices!

Honestly, with the history of the ****-poor deadener from this company, it seriously makes me question anything with their name on it.

I've sent this image to Ben Milne (big shot at Elemental designs) and asked him to give me at the very least a partial refund.

Last edited by Kale; 08-19-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
GrimR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raamat Is awesome. One of the better rated. Not the only one i would use, but one of two.

EDead Sucks. Lately, iv come to find that ED sucks in General. I know people will defend them but as someone thats very into Sound Compeition, i can say that I would never ever touch ED again....not just from personal experience's, but from others as well..
Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

That sucks that your deadner failed on you, Ive had EDEAD in my car for over 2 years and never a problem
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
That sucks that your deadner failed on you, Ive had EDEAD in my car for over 2 years and never a problem
This problem is starting to pop up here and there with people on other boards. Aside from not being sticky, it's, mho, pretty useless because it doesn't have a real foil backing. But it's half the price of foil backed stuff. You get what you pay for, I suppose!

Raamat is nice and stiff, does a great job. Even at twice the price, its well worth it to add something useful, rather than to just mass load like crazy.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I agree I have seen it popping up as failing on some people. I guess im lucky enough to have never had a problem. When I installed for Circuit City we used the Tsunami brand of deadner which was aboslute garbage fell off of everything it was horriable
Old 08-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
I agree I have seen it popping up as failing on some people. I guess im lucky enough to have never had a problem. When I installed for Circuit City we used the Tsunami brand of deadner which was aboslute garbage fell off of everything it was horriable
Is that the stuff that has the vinyl backing?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you, Kale.

I just started having problems with mine, too. I noticed some 'gunk' on my drivers side window recently that I thought was some kind of road tar. I cleaned it off easily, but the other day I buzzed up my window and a HUGE piece of eDead came up with the window.

I now have a bunch of crap on my window, along with a bunch of that gooey sticky crap all gummed up along my window seal.

I am NOT a happy camper right now.

Mark
Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

looks like it's failing due to heat:

According to this: Edead and several other mat based products fail after 6 minutes at 180 degrees (not unheard of during a hot Texas summer)
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/heat/
Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Kale
Team Owner

That's old asphalt edead on the site. I'm actually sending him some of my failed edead

Though I need WAY more damping, my new Dyn midbasses make the center spine vibrate like crazy... whole car is going to come unglued.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kale
That's old asphalt edead on the site. I'm actually sending him some of my failed edead

Though I need WAY more damping, my new Dyn midbasses make the center spine vibrate like crazy... whole car is going to come unglued.
Didn't you put 3 layers of deadening on the doors? Why do you think you need more?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Didn't you put 3 layers of deadening on the doors? Why do you think you need more?
doors are rock solid. In fact, they are soundproof. If you put your ear to my door, at freeway speeds, it's friggin silent.

The rest of the car, however...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kale
doors are rock solid. In fact, they are soundproof. If you put your ear to my door, at freeway speeds, it's friggin silent.

The rest of the car, however...
Oh....how easily i forget. For me a single layer of Second skin damplifier and overkill worked wonders especially for those borla stingers. They're also the best quality for the buck IMO.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
adown
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 50 ml fatmat. Spent 6 months in the Vegas heat and still holding. Not that you did anything wrong, but we need to point out how important cleaning and rolling is. I used laquer thinner to wipe down the area I was ready to apply. Throw away the rollers. I used a piece of 1"x1" wood with an angle cut on it to press it.You can put more pressure than with those cheap rollers. Once you get it flat with all the bubbles out, go over it a couple times in different directions with a lot of force. By the time I was done most of the printed logo was unreadable because I was pushing so hard. Again, I'm not saying it's due to installation. I just want to point out the importance of prep and what might seem like overkill on the install steps is just added insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To So my Edead deadening is falling off :/

Quick Reply: So my Edead deadening is falling off :/