Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1985 C4 Bose Replacement Help Needed Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 PM
bilbo99
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 C4 Bose Replacement Help Needed Fast!

Father in law has an 85 vette with a broken bose system. He wants to rip it out and put a modest system in. I read the FAQ and was disappointed to see that there are 4" speakers all around. I know my car audio well but have never worked on a vette. We are buying the gear for him for Fathers Day/B-Day. I have a few questions that I am hoping that you folks can help me with.

1) He wants the Pioneer DEH-P77DH Din 1.5" in and I am trying to talk him out of it. Can I get some pics of single din head unit installs in an 85? I need to show him that it can be done, without "cutting it up", and look good. I heard there a problems with the fit of the Pioneer. True?

2) I know the Bose speakers are more like a pod. Can the whole pod be removed, and if so, what size speakers can fit with the pod removed? Will custom MDF adapters be needed? Pics if you got them.

3) Because of space concerns he doesn't want amps and wants no sub. Just a deck and 4. Anyone have stealthy ideas and pics of a small sub installed.

Problem is that I don't have the car near me. Its 3hrs away. Otherwise I could look at it more and check things out.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

remove the pods. 6x9's in the back are bolt in. In the doors with a new baffle 5.25 or if u cut a bit 6.5s
Old 06-04-2007, 04:10 AM
bilbo99
Navigator

Thanks Pentavolvo!

Thats awesome. They just bolt in, eh. How much cuttin need for 6.5's in the front? Just a few nips or are we pulling out a saws, drills and files?? Would Crutchfield's fit giude help if I told it I had a Delco system in it. Isnt that basically what you have left when you yank the blose gear out?

If anyone has install pics, door and rear speaker pics that would be great. Dad-in-law was in his early 20's when 8 tracks came out. I need some good pics and info and the speaker mounting and looks as well as a single din head unit install.

If he'll go single din I want to go Alpine. I might try and jam an .5 din ARC Audio PEQ in there also.

With no amps I am probably going with some ARC Kar's or Alpine Type S speakers. The only sub I will be able to talk him into is a 6.5" Powered Bazooka Tube since they can install easy and come out easy when he needs the room.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
remove the pods. 6x9's in the back are bolt in. In the doors with a new baffle 5.25 or if u cut a bit 6.5s
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 AM
DF
Race Director

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/df/stereo.htm

I didn't need to cut for my 6.5's, they just slid right in, but it is quite a tight fit.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:50 AM
tmetti
Intermediate

I just did the 6x9s in the rear and the screw pattern didn't match. I took a piece of MDF and cut out an insert that fit into the original plastic piece (that the bose was mounted to) and drilled it into it with some foam underneath to minimize the rattle. It was some work, but well worth it in the end. I want to get some 5.25 speakers in the doors now, any suggestions?

Originally Posted by pentavolvo

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 C4 Bose Replacement Help Needed Fast!

Quick Reply: 1985 C4 Bose Replacement Help Needed Fast!